X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bkeane1259
    replied
    Re: How much SPL do you really need?

I noticed at the InDIYana event, we were in the 80-85dB range during loud passages for a lot of the listening. At around 10-12 feet (my position - close to the RTA mic) from the speakers in a large room, this was comfortable. There were a couple times where we hit 103-104dB and it was quite frankly way too loud. The 52dB reading was pretty average in between setups.

Leave a comment:

• generic
    replied
    Re: How much SPL do you really need?

I broke out the db meter while listening to the Tron sound track loudly. Some of the bass hits were hitting 98db. This was much louder then I normally listen too, but I was just curious as to how loud it was. This is not a level that can be listened to for very long.

For normal playback, the loud parts probably shouldn't go over 90db too often. Any long term exposure over 85db will cause hearing loss.

The reference level of 75db is probably the loudest anyone should listen to music, but we all listen louder from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• spasticteapot
    started a topic How much SPL do you really need?

How much SPL do you really need?

I'm curious - how much SPL, regardless of frequency, do you think is required at the listener for a hi-fi experience? 90dB at your ears seems to be a general minimum for continuous listening, but what about high-power transients?
Working...
X