Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster - a new tiny 2-way

http://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/speedster

I'd been doing some experimentation with the Fountek NeoCD1.0 ribbon and found it to be quite enjoyable to listen to. I tried pairing it with a few different small woofers, and in the end went with the Tang Band W4-1720, which is an usual little woofer that puts on quite a show! I kept all this a secret because I feel like a lot of people have preconceived notions (or should I say prejudices?) about ribbon tweeters--both good and bad. I wanted people to hear this speaker without deciding what it should sound like beforehand.

Well, it turned out that the speaker was very well-received at InDIYana 2011, and will soon be offered as a kit at Meniscus Audio. It's called the Speedster, and is a tribute to the fun and (lack of) practicality of 2-seater roadsters like the Triumph, MG, Spider, Miata, Boxter, Elise, and of course the Speedster. It's a relatively small 5.5 Liter enclosure, just slightly larger than the Overnight Sensations. Of course, with these drivers, the cost is significantly higher. But like those cars, it's a rich-boy's toy.
    Attached Files
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Re: Speedster - a new tiny 2-way

So when is the MTM coming out? Just kidding, looks cool.

Comment

Like the 2-seaters that are the inpiration for its name....totally cool!

Comment

Congratulations, Paul, on Meniscus offering this as a kit. I was impressed with its performance at InDIYana both because and in spite of its small size.
        Paul

Comment

Nice! Was that the one that "Sounded better than it had any right to"?

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
          return to the source
          leviathan system thread
          deadhorse thread
          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Hopefully you didn't use Lucas Electronics in there :p
            Vapor Audio

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
              Nice! Was that the one that "Sounded better than it had any right to"?
              Yes it was. Great sounding little guy!
              Eric

Comment

Hopefully you didn't use Lucas Electronics in there
                That's a good one!!
                Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

Fast bass is great, but just make sure to watch out for station wagons.

(too obscure?)

Comment

That's a very interesting driver combination.
                    Any more details on enclosure dimensions, tuning, x-over specs and frequency response?
                    Last edited by Ludo; 05-10-2011, 10:08 AM. Reason: I see that the details are at the link you provided :)

Comment

Paul, could you make some comments, comparing the Speedsters to the Overnight Sensations? It looks like about double the cost for the Speedsters...is it worth it?
                      Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

I've been waiting for you to post this write-up since InDIYana. They sounded unbelieveable! If you were to compare speakers based on a ratio of sound quality to size, these would be at the very top of the list as far as I'm concerned. I've never built anyone else's design before (only because most of what I like about this hobby is the designing stage), but I may have to change that for these little buggers. I realize I'm gushing, but they were just a blast to listen to. Kudos on yet another great design, Paul - my favorite so far.

Dan
                        The Hurricanes
                        The Baronettes
                        Conneccentric
                        UX3

Comment

Will there be a front port(s) variation for those that might want/need to put them in a bookshelf? I know its like parking the speedster outside, but perhaps two smaller front ports could be squeezed below the woofer. Thanks.

Comment

You could probably manage a front slot port, but then you'll have to insulate around the port to keep the midrange freqs from coming through the port.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                            return to the source
                            leviathan system thread
                            deadhorse thread
                            shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Paul - Thank you for this! It's great to have designs for us apartment dwellers that simply don't have the room for large speakers.

Hopefully someone's able to tweak these guys to have a front port - slotted or otherwise. That'll put these HIGH on my to-build list.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X