X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundslike
    replied
    Re: Duellati Build

No problems, I think you worry too much. With epoxy base and then primer it's sealed put it out in your crazy hot sun for ten min and all the moisture will be gone -- Mikers
    We'll soon find out -- these would definitely benefit from a bit of color sanding and polishing. I'm annoyed with myself for repeating a mistake I made on a previous paint job -- I have a 50 gallon compressor, and I usually turn it off overnight. Forgot to turn it back on the next day and started spraying with the air in the tank, so after a few minutes, the pressure dropped. I got some orange peel (and overspray trying to fix it) here and there. I'll be off to the paint store on Tuesday to find out what they recommend for the product I'm using.

Soooo, I'll get a chance to sand and polish. I'll post more photos later...

Get some OC703 or Roxul mineral wool and place it up against the interior walls. Those products will do a much better job. -- Pete Schumacher
    I don't doubt that the Owens Cornings 703, or the Roxul mineral wool, is a more certain choice (widely approved by experienced builders). I will probably use some in the future, but it's not on the shelves at our Home Depot or Lowes Stores here in the Phoenix area. I'll need to find a local source. Thanks for your suggestion.

Wal Mart mattress topper? They're actually quite effective--so much so that I've had to remove pieces of it from the inside of cabinets because it overdamped them. -- Paul Carmody
    I've noticed that a lot of builders are using the mattress topper -- I'm relieved to hear that you like the stuff, or at least consider it to be an effective dampening material. It's readily available, low-cost, and it installs easily. That makes it an attractive alternative...

Leave a comment:

• Mikers
    replied

Looking good I just did a wet sand on mine this afternoon. No problems, I think you worry too much. With epoxy base and then primer it's sealed put it out in your crazy hot sun for ten min and all the moisture will be gone

These would make nice mini-towers with the aluminum cone and all

Leave a comment:

• bolland83
    replied

Looking forward to hearing those tomorrow, and maybe learn a thing or two about finishing. Glad to see everyone is excited about the get together, see ya'll tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• TrickyMike
    replied

Those look great!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

I'd sure like to see you replace that foam with something that will actually add damping to the interior standing waves.

Get some OC703 or Roxul mineral wool and place it up against the interior walls. Those products will do a much better job.
    Have you ever used the Wal Mart mattress topper? They're actually quite effective--so much so that I've had to remove pieces of it from the inside of cabinets because it overdamped them.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

I'd sure like to see you replace that foam with something that will actually add damping to the interior standing waves.

Get some OC703 or Roxul mineral wool and place it up against the interior walls. Those products will do a much better job.

Paint job is looking real good.

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Well, I measured the resistance on these little beauties I bought from the local Frys and they're 7.1 and 7.4 ohms. So much for 5% accuracy...

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Yep, I'm working on the crossovers right now. I'll have to substitute a 6.7 Ohm resistor for the specified 7 Ohm at R2 -- I think we talked about that earlier. I'm bringing them along, fer sure...

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

They're still coming tomorrow, though, right?

They already look great from here.

See ya tomorrow!

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Well, I did manage to get a little paint on them yesterday. They look pretty good, but I'll probably want to color sand and polish them. I'll post a few more photos of the finished speakers in the next few days.

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

I can't wait to here what you think of them sound wise.

Jay
    I've heard Mark's originals on a few occasions and they're very nice. I'll have them with me tomorrow when I go to the AZ Buckeye Mini Speaker DIY get-together. I hope to get a few appraisals there. Perhaps I can post a consensus opinion tomorrow.

...Thanks for taking the time to post great pics and step-by-step instructions. Oh...and thanks for reminding me that some day...some how....I WILL have a great workshop. I'd love to do a drive-by some time when we pass thru Phoenix.

Bryan K.
    Thanks for the nice comment about the build string. I do include a bit more detail than most, hoping that somebody will find the information useful. I know I pick up something of benefit in just about every build string I read. If you're ever in Phoenix, please do stop by. Let me know ahead of time and we'll set something up. About the workshop -- I'm very lucky to have what I have here. But it's not a dedicated woodshop -- I try to keep everything on wheels because of the enormous dust problem.

I think I'm more jealous of the sunshine than anything right now

1100XXben
    With all of the horrendous weather back in the middle parts of the country, I can readily see how you would look fondly at a sunny place like Phoenix. But, we're about to "pay the piper" here. The weather has been great, but some very hot days are looming. Still, I've never been as hot and uncomfortable here as I've been in a humid climate.

Sweet. You pound out a pair of speakers every other week. If I was only retired...

Looks like you took the primer to 400. Did you wet sand it? If not, try it out, works much better and it won't affect your MDF. Not sure how much it matters but my preference is to sand at a 45, corner to corner.

Mikers
    I guess I could pound out a pair every other week, if I was a little more efficient. But, it's great to have the time to work on things out in the shop. The often overlooked bad part about retiring though, is that you have to get old while you're doing it.

I did sand the primer to 400, and 800, come to think of it. The 800 is largely a waste of time, but I wanted to be sure to get the scratches out. The urethane paint I'm using flows so well it will reveal any lack of surface prep. I dry sanded, mostly because I'm concerned about complicating things with moisture -- if any at all gets to the MDF, it's going to swell. Still, I know it's a better way to deal with sandpaper loading so I'm going to do a bit of experimentation with a quickie project. I sand in all directions. The more you sand, the more likely it is that you will introduce waves and tapers, so you have to constantly vary the direction. Thanks for your tips...

Hmm... Wonder if that 4" woofer would be a possible replacement for the Realistic Minimus 7?

Chil
    I wish I could offer a worthwhile opinion on that -- but I know there are lots of better opinions on this forum that can help with that question. Have you posted the question in the Techtalk Forum?

Leave a comment:

• Chil
    replied

Hmm... Wonder if that 4" woofer would be a possible replacement for the Realistic Minimus 7?

Leave a comment:

• Mikers
    replied

Sweet. You pound out a pair of speakers every other week. If I was only retired...

Looks like you took the primer to 400. Did you wet sand it? If not, try it out, works much better and it won't affect your MDF. Not sure how much it matters but my preference is to sand at a 45, corner to corner.

Good luck with the top coat.

Leave a comment:

• 1100xxben
    replied

You do have a great looking workshop, but I think I'm more jealous of the sunshine than anything right now :(

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Your build threads are a pleasure to follow. Thanks for taking the time to post great pics and step-by-step instructions. Oh...and thanks for reminding me that some day...some how....I WILL have a great workshop. I'd love to do a drive-by some time when we pass thru Phoenix. We have relatives in Tuscon and often visit...altho not as much lately with the ridiculous fuel surcharges and whatnot. Anyway....keep up the great work!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X