In a previous post, I mentioned seeing and hearing a very nice design called the "Duellati" while attending the Arizona DIY event in Tucson, last March. "Duellati," by the way is a plural form of a word coined by the designer of this compact MTM, Mark Miller. I'll let him expound on how he arrived at the name if he chooses to. Mark (better known on the Parts Express Tech Talk Forum as "Mark65") lives in the same general area where I live (the greater Phoenix metropolitan area), and when I contacted him, he was receptive to the idea of building another set of his design, with an alternative tweeter to replace the unobtanium Seas tweeter used in the original design. Hopefully, he'll chime in here and fill in the details about his design.

I was impressed with the design, and several others I saw at the event, but the Duellati were appealing for several reasons. They are a very nice loudspeaker, with a strong potential for passing the WAF obstacle. They produce high quality sound, from a small compact design, they are attractive and unique looking with their aluminum coned DA115 drivers, they will fit-in a room without dominating the overall decor or frustrating the interior designer (whoever that might be) and they can be built at a very attractive price.

The Duellati design uses the Dayton Audio DA115-8 4" Aluminum Cone Woofer,
part # 295-328, which can be purchased four-up for the bargain price of $13.24 each. The tweeter used in this design is the Vifa 25SG 15-04, part number 264-1026, currently available for $14.37 each.

As is my habit, I produced a drawing of the Duellati, before making any sawdust. Note that I updated the drawing on July 23, 2012 after some confusion about the port size. The updated drawing includes Mark's original crossover design which has been refined by Wolf. I'd suggest that builders contact Mark and Wolf about the revised design. If Mark chooses to post the revised plan, I'll alter the drawing again.

I sent the drawing to Mark for his approval -- you may notice that three different tweeters are shown. In the end, the Vifa won out for reasons of performance vs. cost. The drawing also shows two different top views, one of which was to help visualize how a 1" roundover would look on the sides of the baffle. Not surprisingly, there wasn't enough room. The drawing also shows b**t joints, for the sake of simplicity, but rabbeted joints were used throughout in this build. B**t joints are perfectly adequate for this type of construction, but I wanted to utilize rabbets just because they provide automatic indexing of the parts, and the increased glue area does produce a stronger joint -- not that it's needed. The port length is 6-1/2", as shown in the drawing, made from 2" PVC pipe.

3/4" MDF was used for the enclosures. Panels were cut from the 4 X 8 sheet into more manageable pieces, using the circular saw guide shown in the photo still attached to the MDF sheet.

The MDF panels were then cut to the necessary dimensions using a table saw.

A 3/8" X 3/8" rabbet was cut into all four edges of each panel. The table saw was used for the process also, with a standard blade, as opposed to a dado blade. Using a standard blade makes it necessary to make two cuts on each edge -- one with the panel in the vertical position, and one with the panel flat against the table. In the following photo, you'll notice that a jig fitted over the fence was used to keep the panel vertical.

The panel was then placed flat on the table saw to make the second cut. A panel with rabbeted edges can be seen sitting on the edge of the table saw.

In the following photo, Mark is seen holding the panels together, dry fitted. His Duellati are shown to his left. The enclosures we're putting together in this build will differ from Mark's originals in that a different tweeter will be used, only the left and right sides of the baffle will be rounded-over, and the finish will be a high gloss black.

I'll be back with more later... I need to get these ready for the AZ Buckeye mini DIY get together this Sunday..
Attached Files