Removable Baffle Gasket Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removable Baffle Gasket Material

I am doing removable baffles (for the 1st time) on ready to assemble Nano Neos. What do you guys recommend for gasket material?

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Re: Removable Baffle Gasket Material

PE's driver-gasket-tape is a good product for it. I used it on my mule-boxes to seal the Glucinium Amor baffles.

Either that or the weather stripping from your local Walmart, or even adhesive-backed-Foamie from a craft-store.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Basically, all my builds have removable baffles, and I've always used self-stick weatherstripping. As far as I know, the minimum thickness you can usually find is 3/16 inch, which leaves your baffles a bit pulled away from the boxes, even after you've screwed them down. In the future, I'm going to try a thinner foam for this use.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Pretty veneer. Consider RTV rubber sealant. It seals and squeezes out. It will have to be removed each time you remove the baffle. I used it on my Madisound RBRs. It's the only thing holding the baffle on, besides a good tight mechanical fit with a two layer baffle with the inner layer fitting inside the box. If I ever want to remove the baffle, I will have to remove the woofer and knock it out with a mallet.

Good solution if you're not a speaker tweaker.

Comment

I've used play dough before for a small speaker

Comment

I haven't tried this, but I'll bet that the rubber sealant or a caulk could be applied to either the box lip or the baffle, then covered with "saran wrap" for a complete seal without the two pieces getting stuck together permanently.

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

i bet duct seal will work great. I use it to fill small holes in my car door. its rubberized butyl so itll have some characteristics to absorb some vibrations as well. sure is cheap enough for about $2.50 a lb!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13591-12704-...0051&langId=-1

Comment

Mcmaster-Carr carries a number of different types of foam in various widths and thicknesses. Probably the best stuff would be the 1/16" silicon foam with adhesive backing, part number 5109K14. A much cheaper solution would be the rubber-based material: part number 8694K113. Just use the link below and work your way through the selection guides

http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam/=cy1dbn
                Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Ditto for McMaster-Carr for finding thin foam weatherstripping. The stuff I bought last time compresses down to nothing so there's no foam showing and no real gap.

I used their part no. 93675k11 (1/8" x 1/4") vinyl foam tape for my last build.

Just mount it inside the edge about a 1/16" so it doesn't squeeze outside the joint when bolting the baffle on.
                  Bill Schneider
                  -+-+-+-+-
                  www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Thanks to all for the tips. I tried the craft foam because I had it handy, but the gap is too large when compressed for my taste. I will try the other suggestions.
                    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

felt from a fabric store. use a spray adhesive to attach it to one surface.

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                        I haven't tried this, but I'll bet that the rubber sealant or a caulk could be applied to either the box lip or the baffle, then covered with "saran wrap" for a complete seal without the two pieces getting stuck together permanently.
                        That would probably work. Most silicones won't stick to masking tape either. I've used that trick on other things where I want a seal but don't want it sticking to the actual item.

Comment

Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
                          Ditto for McMaster-Carr for finding thin foam weatherstripping. The stuff I bought last time compresses down to nothing so there's no foam showing and no real gap.

I used their part no. 93675k11 (1/8" x 1/4") vinyl foam tape for my last build.

Just mount it inside the edge about a 1/16" so it doesn't squeeze outside the joint when bolting the baffle on.
                          Thanks for the link!
                          I knew McMaster-Carr carried every material under the sun, just never thought of looking there for the kind of weatherstripping I knew I needed. I think I'm approached the time of life when youthful exuberance at acquiring new facts meets the "leaky bucket" mind in my head.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Thanks for the link!
                            I knew McMaster-Carr carried every material under the sun, just never thought of looking there for the kind of weatherstripping I knew I needed. I think I'm approached the time of life when youthful exuberance at acquiring new facts meets the "leaky bucket" mind in my head.
                            Slightly different topic, but I don't think people realize that they also carry a great selection of felt. Just about any SAE Grade, thickness and size that the speaker builder might need:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#felt/

BTW, just about everytime I order from McMaster-Carr the stuff arrives the next day. They are in NJ and I'm in VA, which isn't that far, but still...great service
                            Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

I think I'm approached the time of life when youthful exuberance at acquiring new facts meets the "leaky bucket" mind in my head.
                              Heh, I'm well into the leaky-bucket stage myself. It only gets "better" from here!
                              Bill Schneider
                              -+-+-+-+-
                              www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Working...
                              X