Grill attachment methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grill attachment methods?

That recent thread about grills got me wanting to add grills to my next project, and I'm curious about how most of you who do or have used grills go or went about attaching them... I know about those little ball-and-socket things, but they don't really spin my wheels. I'm thinking adhesive-backed Velcro, because it would be nice not to have permanent hardware in my baffle if I decide grills aren't for me. Has anyone tried this? Is there a chance the Velcro won't stand up to vibrations, or would vibrate itself? The grill frame will be made of quarter- or half-round, and the grill cloth will be the lightest PE sells; I'm not worried about the Velcro not being able to hold the weight of the grills themselves.

Re: Grill attachment methods?

Use magnets ! See link > http://meniscusaudio.com/grille-fasteners-c-108.html

Comment

Is the baffle MDF? You can use a forstner bit the size of some small disc magnets. Use the same method on the underside of your grills. Just be sure you get the polarity right.

Assuming you are painting or veneering the baffle, cover the magnet with some filler and it will be out of site for all eternity.

EDIT: Thor beat me to it.
      L&R Build
      Sub Build

Comment

Check these out for drilling and proper alignment ! See link > http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2000783/2000783.aspx Good Luck !

Comment

I used velcro to attach the grills on my Tritrix. The velcro patches look pretty ugly when the grills aren't installed otherwise I don't have any regrets using velcro.

Comment

If one wants to truly get cheap, and or creative why not try countersinking round "Lego's" ? If you have children chances are one could find a set or two !

Comment

I use neodymium magnets countersunk in and epoxied to the backs of the grille frame. The magnets line up with (some of the) driver mounting screw/bolt heads. My grille frames, then, are a bit more substantial, usually cut from 1/2" MDF. Unless removed when playing music, they will interfere with the sound, but I take them off anyway. They will not fall off, however, by themselves or from musical vibrations!
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                I use neodymium magnets countersunk in and epoxied to the backs of the grille frame. The magnets line up with (some of the) driver mounting screw/bolt heads. My grille frames, then, are a bit more substantial, usually cut from 1/2" MDF. Unless removed when playing music, they will interfere with the sound, but I take them off anyway. They will not fall off, however, by themselves or from musical vibrations!
                Paul
                Agreed. If you have removable baffles, the bolt heads can be used by magnets attached to the grill. Easy and nothing unsightly on the baffle that way.
                I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty

Comment

FWIW, I'm getting grilles from this guy and I'm using velcro. No drilling into my baffles!
                  L&R Build
                  Sub Build

Comment

i have used screws to magnets and mag to mag. set them into the baffle just below flush put a pinch of sawdust on them if setting with glue of any kind. sand flush.
                    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

When I use grills, I have complimentary neo magnets in the grill frame and below the surface of the speaker cabinet. I first saw this trick demonstrated by Dr. Griffin.
                      Mongo only pawn in game of life
                      ____
                      Ed

Comment

Magnets seem neat, and I've looked at a few at PE. But given how unsure of grills I am - and given the fact that I have NO need for them (i.e., no kids, no cleaning ladies, no dust problems) - I'm wary of spending even $10 extra on them. I think I'll go for Velcro...

Comment

Originally posted by thor61 View Post
                          If one wants to truly get cheap, and or creative why not try countersinking round "Lego's" ? If you have children chances are one could find a set or two !
                          I like the idea of the lego... I will need to get some spare legos.
                          My Statement monitors
                          My Piccolatas
                          My LM3886 amp

Comment

If you don't want to do peglocks or magnets, you can use a couple of finishing nails through the grill wood. Drill matching holes in the baffle. It's a bit tricky without a drill press, but it's cheap.
                            Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                            "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                            Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

I have used magnets to baffle mounting screws (I like removable front baffles).

I have also used magnet to magnet where the baffle side magnet is epoxied in place prior to veneering--completely invisible when grill is removed.

Magnet to mounting screws requires position adjustment when the grill is installed. Magnet to magnet is great because the grill precisely "snaps to center" when it gets near the hidden magnets!

Marv

Comment

Working...
                              X