Google Sketch-up for speaker design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Sketch-up for speaker design?

Ok guys. I downloaded Goggle sketch-up, and haven't been able to figure it out. Could I use it to help me figure out a cabs interior volume? My curved cab designs aren't very easy to work out, so I thought it might help. Anybody have any suggestions?
    The Past is history. The Future is a mystery. Today is a gift; that's why its called the Present. (Grand Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda)

Re: Google Sketch-up for speaker design?

Use the tutorials for Google sketch-up. Once you have watched about 30 minutes of those you should be able to pretty much do anything you want. It's fun to play with, for quick sketches. But it is limited in some of it's abilities to create curved 3-D objects.
    Thanks ,
    JB

Comment

Originally posted by D, Rose View Post
      Could I use it to help me figure out a cabs interior volume?
      No, I don't believe it will determine internal volume of an enclosure for you.

But it is a great tool for visualizing cab and panel dimensions before you cut materials.

Comment

Ok guys. I downloaded Goggle sketch-up, and haven't been able to figure it out. Could I use it to help me figure out a cabs interior volume? My curved cab designs aren't very easy to work out, so I thought it might help. Anybody have any suggestions?

I've been trying to do google sketch-up. I haven't been able to figure it out. It would be nice to learn, especially to help me figure out interior volumes for curved cab designs. Where can a guy get help to learn that?

I gave up several times, until I found this:
        http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/

If you follow these videos, you'll be good to go.

For interior volumes of irregular areas, there is a plugin that is supposed to do the calculations, but I found it didn't work when curves were introduced (it got confused because the curves were broken down into many line segments). I think volumes still require some manual calculation.

Good luck,

Colin

Comment

Anybody have any suggestions?
          Practice, man. Practice. Sketchup is like any skill, it takes time to develop. I'm five years in to get to this point:
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

If you have had prior drafting or CAD experience it's not too bad...
            Refer to your other post for my suggestions:

Search the 3D warehouse for examples of speaker cabinets
            http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...=Search&reps=3
            and examine them.
            "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
            “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

You can certainly do some neat stuff with Sketchup. Takes a bit of planning to see the parts you want to draw to create the final shape. Might have to try drawing up that mini cab, but I know I'd have to do a little research on some of the surfaces.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

if memory serves (though you may already know this) the box has to be air-tight... a closed object, in other words don't do the cutouts for the drivers, ports...
                David

Comment

No offense but sketchup is a piece of cake, I never had a problem with it. Keep fiddling with it...

Comment

It will give you the volume of a group. Right click on a group and view entity info.

This doesn't give you the volume of the "space" inside an enclosure but you can use it creatively to get what you want.

For instance... create a solid box with the outside dims of your enclosure. Make it a group and get the volume.

Now make each part into a group - braces, sides, top, bottom, and get their volumes. Do some deducting to see what's left.
                    L&R Build
                    Sub Build

Comment

You can certainly do some neat stuff with Sketchup. Takes a bit of planning to see the parts you want to draw to create the final shape. Might have to try drawing up that mini cab, but I know I'd have to do a little research on some of the surfaces.

Now you're just showing off!

Comment

I found this site helpful:
                        http://www.aidanchopra.com/web-content

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
                          Now you're just showing off!
                          I'm a noob with a little time on my hands. Those didn't even take very long.

I posted them to show that even a non-draftsman like me can render some pretty convincing stuff with Sketchup. That RSS210 and RS28 are actually pretty simple solids to build up.

Drawing up Ed's cabinets, especially that mini Byzy, has me scratching my head as to how to do it. I can see constructing the curved walls, but how to put a surface on the cut curve . . .

Perhaps there's a CAD guy snooping around to offer a suggestion . . .
                          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Perhaps there's a CAD guy snooping around to offer a suggestion . . .
                            Hi Pete,
                            Draw one side surface and mirror it using the scale tool. Then draw the outline for the back top and baffle and bottom, extrude that wider than the speaker needs to be. Then for the finale intersect them and cut away the excess to reveal your masterpiece :D
                            Regards,
                            Dan

Comment

I'm never again going to build any woodworking project without drawing it up in sketchup first. I've made so many small, tiny mistakes on paper that have accumulated into huge mistakes on the final project.

Comment

Working...
                              X