X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fntn
    Banned
    • Feb 2011

Re: Objective vs. subjective

Given the long and sordid history of frauds and wackjobs purveying snake oil and marketing hype in the audio industry - IMHO, it's safe to consider any "improvement" that can't be measured as bunk or crapola. We've all heard wackos and bs artists proclaim how "veils have been lifted" with the use of this cable or that cable or how a special cd player "treatment disc" makes players sound "less stressy". Without measurements to back up the ridiculous claims - it's crapola. And one person out of dozens in a double blind test doesn't represent a trend. It represents the exception or anomaly. You need more than 50% of those tested to achieve something notable or what would be considered a trend.

Comment

• jinjuku
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Wolf
      Nope- it's a measurement procedure. The device is what you have to make or apply to the testing AB/X procedure to make it possible.

Later,
      Wolf
      I believe procedure could be interchangeable in this instance. AB/X is just a general term for a type of 'measurement device'. It's a framework to cull out statistically meaningful data out of a large enough N for normalization to take place. So I don't think you are correct. But at least we are now debating stuff that is strictly tertiary to the subject at hand. Must be getting somewhere:D:p

I'll double check with the Wife since she has co-authored a couple of measurement devices and been published on them. She's the stats and mixed methods wiz around here.

Procedure would be the way/parameters of how AB/X is applied. AB/X is still a device.

Comment

• jinjuku
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by fntn
        Given the long and sordid history of frauds and wackjobs purveying snake oil and marketing hype in the audio industry - IMHO, it's safe to consider any "improvement" that can't be measured as bunk or crapola. We've all heard wackos and bs artists proclaim how "veils have been lifted" with the use of this cable or that cable or how a special cd player "treatment disc" makes players sound "less stressy". Without measurements to back up the ridiculous claims - it's crapola. And one person out of dozens in a double blind test doesn't represent a trend. It represents the exception or anomaly. You need more than 50% of those tested to achieve something notable or what would be considered a trend.
        To be fair 1 out of 24 people in a large enough N would simply lead to data that says ~4% of the population can X or Y.

Comment

• Wolf
          Obsessed & Proud of It
          • Sep 2005

Device = method; I get you now! I wasn't using device in the same context. To me a device is a physical concrete object that has mass, or a piece of hardware.

I totally understand your meaning now.
          Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• jinjuku
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Wolf
            Device = method; I get you now! I wasn't using device in the same context. To me a device is a physical concrete object that has mass, or a piece of hardware.

I totally understand your meaning now.
            Later,
            Wolf
            Kool, I have a decent grasp but when my wife and friends get going and they start talking about quant and qualitative theories and the like I sort of lose them there. And that's OK because I have some speakers that sound phenomenal.

Comment

Working...