No announcement yet.

Oval / Elliptical shaped metal tubing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oval / Elliptical shaped metal tubing?

Do they make oval or elliptical shaped metal or aluminum tubing? I have searched and not really found anything. Obviously this is not an easy to fabricate cross-section shape, but I think it would look nice in some stand ideas I have in my head. I'm not interested in having some custom aluminum extrusions made, I was just wondering if anybody stocked something like that or if one of you had run across something similar. Thanks.

Re: Oval / Elliptical shaped metal tubing?

Provided Link: http://chadgray.info/

I have not seen anything, but why not purchase some round and figure out a way of smushing it to get oval?

You can get exhaust pipe from parts store and muffler shops.

I am thinking making an I beam out of MDF and using lots of pipe clamps to smush the pipe.

Comment

> Do they make oval or elliptical shaped metal
      > or aluminum tubing?

Yes. I'm not sure where you can find it. Extrusion makes such a thing not too miserable. ;)

As for squishing round, good luck getting it to work right. I think the only consistent way would be custom rollers in a mill that ultimately have zero tolerance at the edges, your ellipse at the middle.

C
      diVine Audio

Comment

> Do they make oval or elliptical shaped metal
        > or aluminum tubing? I have searched and not
        > really found anything. Obviously this is not
        > an easy to fabricate cross-section shape,
        > but I think it would look nice in some stand
        > ideas I have in my head. I'm not interested
        > in having some custom aluminum extrusions
        > made, I was just wondering if anybody
        > stocked something like that or if one of you
        > had run across something similar. Thanks.

the shape wouldn't be hard to do, some ellipses from mdf, and wrap with bendy ply or bendy mdf. I have used roofing copper, and you can get shhet aluminum or a look-alike stainless steel product. Also try <A HREF="http://www.alsacorp.com">www.alsacorp.com</A> for some really neat looking metalic surface treatments.
        When you run make sure you run,
        to something not away from, cause lies don't need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere.

Comment

yes , for aircraft construction , try looking at "Aircraft Spruce". just google them ,I am sure they have it in 4130 , and maybe 6061-T6

Celeste

Comment

Working...
          X