X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kevin007
    replied
    Re: Modding the Lepai T2020A+

Seems that by the time you spend all the time and money to modify a Lepai you could build something like this: http://classdaudio.com/amplifier-mod...amplifier.html for cheaper and it would most likely sound better since it is a higher quality amp to start with.

Although I must say I like my little Lepai 2020 I use on my desk at work. But I am not sure I am willing to drop $112.00 for the modded one above. I think I would go with something like the class d amp above before the modded lepai just for the cost issues alone.

What do you guys think?

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• SDLitz
    replied

I know this would be an expensive way to go but would P.E. part #120-500 ( 10-20V 5amp) be a suitable power supply upgrade?

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

On a related Note: Ron Tipton was having 2020A shutdown: He drilled six .3" diameter holes on each side of the enclosure and added a cooling fan.

Leave a comment:

• deewalk25
    replied

Originally posted by tinkertoys View Post
    old thread nowadays but glad I'd found it.. did all 3 of my 2020A's a couple days ago, a definite improvement over stock. the first one got everything specified, the next two got 4 outta 6 of the rear coupling caps, the two not changed out dont have the extra hole for a larger cap and are much harder to get at anyway. havent noticed any difference between the first one done with all 6 and the two after that only got the easier 4 replaced back there.

Lepai did make some minor changes to the board, you might need 2 of the 470 caps and 1 of the 220's up front, so just buy both in pairs to be sure you have what you'll need.

with the stock 3A power supply, much better bass but it still cut out at about 5/8 or 2/3 volume on songs with heavier bass. with a 5A supply it'll go past 3/4, start distorting like mad nearing 7/8 volume, and go full volume too not cutting out. I'm going to guess it's near doubled the usable power, was 8.3w before distortion hit 1% when stock (an audio guys honest youtube review), I wouldnt doubt 12-13 watts now before distortion gets mean, is a BIG improvement over bone stock!

soldering: I dont have anything fancy, just a big old weller soldering gun. I tinned the leads of the caps a little heavy and planted them in from the backside, letting the tinned stuff take care of joints at the topside, just in case it IS needed to have connections on both sides of it. didnt have any problems going about it this way with all 3 amps.
    Do you know the easiest way to get rid of the speaker protection so when i turn it up to hear it over my bike pipes it wont cut out?

Leave a comment:

• tinkertoys
    replied

old thread nowadays but glad I'd found it.. did all 3 of my 2020A's a couple days ago, a definite improvement over stock. the first one got everything specified, the next two got 4 outta 6 of the rear coupling caps, the two not changed out dont have the extra hole for a larger cap and are much harder to get at anyway. havent noticed any difference between the first one done with all 6 and the two after that only got the easier 4 replaced back there.

Lepai did make some minor changes to the board, you might need 2 of the 470 caps and 1 of the 220's up front, so just buy both in pairs to be sure you have what you'll need.

with the stock 3A power supply, much better bass but it still cut out at about 5/8 or 2/3 volume on songs with heavier bass. with a 5A supply it'll go past 3/4, start distorting like mad nearing 7/8 volume, and go full volume too not cutting out. I'm going to guess it's near doubled the usable power, was 8.3w before distortion hit 1% when stock (an audio guys honest youtube review), I wouldnt doubt 12-13 watts now before distortion gets mean, is a BIG improvement over bone stock!

soldering: I dont have anything fancy, just a big old weller soldering gun. I tinned the leads of the caps a little heavy and planted them in from the backside, letting the tinned stuff take care of joints at the topside, just in case it IS needed to have connections on both sides of it. didnt have any problems going about it this way with all 3 amps.

Leave a comment:

• danvee
    replied

At the risk of reviving a Zombie thread -

The 6 .47uf caps in the output: any risk or damage by replacing them with 1uf?

Leave a comment:

• RINNAV
    replied

Interesting... It looks like someone has been watching this thread.

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue69/lepai.htm

But for the price of this "upgrade", I am sure you can follow this thread and come out a lot cheaper...

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue69/lepai.htm

Leave a comment:

• jjminch
    replied

Hello,

I think this mod threat is great, but a little above my skill set. I plan on upgrading the power supply to an eBay LCD brick and calling it a day for now.

However I would like to tap into the unit for some 5v power. Is there enough in there to run an iPhone charger (1amp) and 3-4 small LEDs?

If so, how could I do this? Solder wires to the power input jack terminal inside the amp?

Leave a comment:

• Palos
    replied

Has anyone ever changed the T2020 chip? I think mine might but shut, I'm not getting and output volume. Any ideas on how to test it?

Leave a comment:

• vlad335
    replied

I upgraded one of these amps with the ebay PSU and caps and it sounds fantastic. REALLY REALLY GOOD! Actually, performed the mods on two amps and unfortunately bricked the first one somehow. On the second attempt I just replaced the 6 output caps and the big one. My soldering sucked when I first tried this but i am better now.

Anyway... I want to do this again to another Lepai. However, it seems the 6 red caps are out of stock at mouser with a 15 week lead time. These are listed as 63V .47uf +80/-20%. Is there a suitable replacement on the mouser site? More expensive doesnt matter just as long as they work and are an upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• Mariusmssj
    replied

Originally posted by 1MOR View Post
    Been following this thread for a while. I ordered up an amp from PE and along the way, ended up with two of these. I had also ordered the small parts per the OP from Mouser, along with the PS upgrade from Ebay. A couple of weeks ago, I lost cable TV and internet access due to hurricane Isaac, so I had some time to get after this project. I found the OEM product to have irratiating HF response, flat midrange and lacking in dynamics. I replaced the PS electrolytic C1 and the output caps, C32,33,35,36,38,39, with the recommended Panny parts. Quite an improvement, even with the supplied PS, and, it still worked! Diving into the project, the remaining through the hole caps were removed and replaced with parts from the Mouser order. As I had forgot about the OP's recommendation to leave C20,21 on the board, they were also removed. Here are a couple of pics showing progress and side by side with the OEM board.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29302[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29303[/ATTACH]

Now, what to do about the unobtanium 1.75uf caps, C20,21. Measuring these original parts, the values varied widely. Knowing that parts will always have some variability, I ordered a selection of caps from Mouser, Panny, Nichicon and Epcos, with values of 1.5uf and 2.2uf. The 1.5uf caps measured all less than 1.5uf and the 2.2uf caps measured greater than 2.2uf with the exception of the Epcos product. Here is a pic showing the variability of the OEM caps labeled 1.75uf and the values of the Epcos caps marked 2.2uf. The Epcos turned out to be a suitable solution.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29304[/ATTACH]

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...41851A9225M000

With the additional parts from Mouser, both boards were completed. The board from amp 2, had the inductors replaced along with the 10R through the hole resistors, R38,39.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...0-MF1/4CC10R0F

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29305[/ATTACH]

The PS electrolytic C1 in amp 2, was leaking its guts onto the board and required some cleaning prior to installing the replacement.
    C1 found mounted on the boards of both amps, were marked Nichicon but had poor quality labeling, almost like it had been produced on a cheap printer.

This has proven to be a worthwhile project, the improvement over the OEM Lepai 2020 amp is significant when used with the 5 amp PS. Nicely designed product, nicely done board which resisted my best efforts to damage it, but limited by the OEM supplied parts.
    What kind of inductors did you use? and are they worth changing?

Leave a comment:

• jamikkim
    replied

The solder joints all seem ok. I think the problem may be the relay switch contacts inside the relay box since tapping it or increasing current (volume) or activating the relay changes the properties of the sound - either both channels will work, sometimes the right channel will be off but usually the left channel has issue.

Unless the seller gives me a free replacement, I probably won't send it back since shipping is $14

Leave a comment:

• jamikkim
    replied

The solder joints all seem ok. I think the problem may be the relay switch contacts inside the relay box since tapping it or increasing current (volume) or activating the relay changes the properties of the sound - either both channels will work, sometimes the right channel will be off but usually the left channel has issue.

Unless the seller gives me a free replacement, I probably won't send it back since shipping is $14

Leave a comment:

• nottaway
    replied

Originally posted by 1MOR View Post
    If you are referring to my post above, I used this Ebay PS which I believe is the same as the recommendation of the OP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280869637201...84.m1438.l2649

No I meant this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-volt-DC-4...item3ca11c7ae8

It was hyperlinked just hard to see.....

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Couldn't the intermittent output problem be in the volume pot, and might not that be fixed with a shot of cleaner?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X