Servo subs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servo subs?

Has anyone compared a servo sub to a sub built using a higher end driver such as the daytons or peerless? I was looking at the rythmic audio servo subs but i wonder if the sound improvement is big enough to justify the cost? Also has anyone compared the dayton rs ho and hf series? How much difference is there in cone and voice coil mass?

Re: Servo subs?

Originally posted by killa View Post
    Has anyone compared a servo sub to a sub built using a higher end driver such as the daytons or peerless? I was looking at the rythmic audio servo subs but i wonder if the sound improvement is big enough to justify the cost? Also has anyone compared the dayton rs ho and hf series? How much difference is there in cone and voice coil mass?
    But the Rythmiks use an even higher-end driver than the Daytons or the Peerless, and it's still servo. The cost of the Rythmik amp and driver isn't much different compared to the Daytons and an amp.

I have often considered going with a servo sub, I just haven't done it yet. But I already use a driver similar to the Rythmik with the Oaudio amp, and like it a lot, so I'm not in a big hurry to change.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Also has anyone compared the dayton rs ho and hf series? How much difference is there in cone and voice coil mass?
      The HO has a 4 layer coil, the HF has a 2 layer coil. The HO has an 8 mil thick cone, and the HF is a lot thinner than that.

Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
        But the Rythmiks use an even higher-end driver than the Daytons or the Peerless, and it's still servo. The cost of the Rythmik amp and driver isn't much different compared to the Daytons and an amp.

I have often considered going with a servo sub, I just haven't done it yet. But I already use a driver similar to the Rythmik with the Oaudio amp, and like it a lot, so I'm not in a big hurry to change.
        I already have an Oaudio amp and don't really want to buy another. Maybe ill just start with the driver and then purchase the amp later. I am wanting a really good music sub. This will probably be my last sub ill build or buy.

Comment

This will probably be my last sub ill build or buy.

Wahl . . . I've never really heard that one before. ;-)

Comment

Yes, not impressed with rythmik servo subs, period

Comment

I built a couple of Rythmik subs and while the sound quality was O.K., they just did not have the output I was looking for. I'm very happy with the Elemental Designs subs I replaced them with.

Comment

I've heard a number of servo subs: Velodyne, Paradigm, Genesis, etc. Never have I been struck that the bass quality was superior to, say, a Peerless XLS/JBL GTi/Aurasound driver. There's a reason that when I decided to go with elite subs, I picked the underhung Aura drivers over any servo design.

I've not heard the Rythmik, but don't expect much from it, given the design choices Ding makes. By design, it trades something of obvious utility (a passband that allows it to be usable to smooth room modes) for something of questionable-at-best audibility (a little bit less distortion).

Also, I can't help but remark that someone who actually believes that a subwoofer can sound different based on the "interconnect" used is a bit of a flake.
                --
                "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

I already have an Oaudio amp and don't really want to buy another. Maybe ill just start with the driver and then purchase the amp later. I am wanting a really good music sub. This will probably be my last sub ill build or buy.
                  You can do what I did. I chose the Oaudio for a specific reason - Its built-in EQ is optimized for a sealed speaker, especially if you plan to make use of room gain. I am not aware of any other plate amp that will do the same. What I did was use a high excursion driver that modeled well in reasonably small sealed enclosure (reached into the mid 30's sealed), mated it with the Oaudio, and placed it in the corner. Depending on my amp setting I can get flat, non-bloated bass, down to 16Hz. And the box is still small.

Jeff B.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post

Also, I can't help but remark that someone who actually believes that a subwoofer can sound different based on the "interconnect" used is a bit of a flake.
                    My understanding is that there is a separate coil that tells the amp what position the sub is in and if it is not in the right place at the right time the amp compensates. Not just an interconnect. Jeff you want one too so you must be a flake lol.

Comment

Out of curiosity Jeff, what driver are you using? I have been curious about this myself as I have an AE AV15h and was wondering if the rhythmik would be an upgrade in sq.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                        Wahl . . . I've never really heard that one before. ;-)
                        Don't worry I didn't say I quit building speakers I'm just tired of messing with subs.

Comment

Originally posted by saabracer23 View Post
                          Out of curiosity Jeff, what driver are you using? I have been curious about this myself as I have an AE AV15h and was wondering if the rhythmik would be an upgrade in sq.

Dan
                          I was also wondering about his driver and box. I think I remember him talking about having a custom driver a while back.

Comment

I was also wondering about his driver and box. I think I remember him talking about having a custom driver a while back.
                            I have a custom version of the TC1000 TC Sounds 12" woofer that has a Qts of .50, which makes it ideal for a sealed box. It is almost the same as the Rythmik driver without the extra coil. In construction it is almost identical to the TC Epic12 sold by PE. I have one of those too, but I haven't done anything with it yet. It seems to have a higher Q than advertised, though I haven't broken it in yet, so it may also work well in a sealed box.

Comment

I am guessing the rythmik sensing coil adds a bit of weight and requires the gap to be bigger. We need more drivers designed like yours I was actually thinking about the tc sounds but I haven't simmed any yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X