Announcement

Collapse

Columbus Day Sale

Extended One More Day! Columbus Day Sale at Parts Express! 10/15/19 Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

Modern hostile take over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modern hostile take over

I have a vintage Crosley console in my living room sitting beside my vintage Pioneer setup. The Crosley is all original with AM only radio, 78 RPM record player and powered by a mono tube amp. I also have a 1960's Grundig console stereo with every band known to man on it including shortwave, turntable all powered by a tube amp. It has Alnico speakers and Jensen horns. It is absolutely mint without any scratches on it. It sounds wonderful if you are into siting on the floor when you listen to it.

Comment

Re: War council:

> I like your subtleness :-). Here's a pic of
      > the type I used to have long ago. Or I
      > should say my parents since I was still a
      > kid.

HOLY CRAP!!! That's the EXACT same console my folks had!!!
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Re: Lafayette catalog?

> Yup, the dipole/bipole switch could be
        > easily added. Sounds like you are going to
        > have fun with this one...

> BTW, for the lobe to angle up from the
        > baffle, the tweeter will need to be
        > connected out out of phase for a 1st order
        > BW, and out of phase for a 3rd BW

> -And in case anyone was wondering what the
        > heck a Layayette catalog was:

Curt, that brings back some memories! When I was growing up, my dad built a 16 watt/ch tube amp (from one of their catalogs) that he used with a Garrard (sp) turntable and a pair of speakers built with parts/plans from a local dealer. The dealer, Lafayette Electronics, offered alot of that stuff, and they would even put it together for you, if you wanted.

John A.

"Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
        Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
        Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
        Pioneer TX-9500 II
        Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
        Statement Monitors
        Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
        Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
        Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Re: Lafayette catalog?

> Curt, that brings back some memories! When I
          > was growing up, my dad built a 16 watt/ch
          > tube amp (from one of their catalogs) that
          > he used with a Garrard (sp) turntable and a
          > pair of speakers built with parts/plans from
          > a local dealer. The dealer, Lafayette
          > Electronics, offered alot of that stuff, and
          > they would even put it together for you, if
          > you wanted.

I'll bet it sounded good too...

C

Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
          - Aristotle

Comment

Re: Lafayette catalog? *PIC*

> I'll bet it sounded good too...

> C

Curt, it sounded great! I didn't understand all the control knobs, there were ten across the front. I do remember one that controlled the RIAA curve with 4 positions and the speaker wire hook-ups had 3 sections, one pair for 16 ohms, one for 8, and one pair for 4. The speakers used a slot-vent design (I remember my dad cutting the plywood and assembling everything while I looked at the plans) with a Pioneer PIM-16A 2-way (similar to a coax) 6" driver in each box. I still have both drivers, but the paper cones are dried out a little...expected since they were made in the early 60's. I just wish I had that amp! Here's a pic of the driver...I don't know what I'll ever do with them, but for the early 60's, we had the best "hi-fi" of all my friends and relatives! I guess that's what started "it" all for me.

John A.

"Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
            Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
            Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
            Pioneer TX-9500 II
            Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
            Statement Monitors
            Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
            Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
            Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
              - Aristotle

Comment

Working...
              X