X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cole
    started a topic Modern hostile take over

Modern hostile take over

Hey, you guys remember them old floor council stereos with the top that would flip up? You had your turn table, 8 track and tuner. For years I have been wanting to get my paws on one! I found it in the paper today! All I have to do is pick it up? No charge. The guy says that the record player needs a new needle.
    Im taking everything out. In place of the 8-track: a new, up to date top loading CD player. The old receiver out, an HD receiver in. Ihave a brand new DJ style turn table that will be used as well. The speakers? What to do here?
    What do you guys think? The Cd player and the turn table will run into the HD receiver. The receiver requires an 8ohm load. This thing sits a little above 3ft. I want the speakers inside, just like the original design. There is at least 1.5 cube ft for drivers on both sides and I want this thing to support its own bottom end. Lookin like a 3-way, However, like I said, this council sits about 3 ft high. This puts the drivers at a fairly low level in relation to the ear. Could I use a slight upward tilt when installing the new drivers? Any way, any ideas you guys have would be great. A couple thousand heads is always better than one head running on 2 pots of coffee a smoking habbit and a morgage. One limitation: From the outside, this council needs to retain its vintage look but the inside is fair game for a modern hostile take-over.

I know that most of you are a creative bunch and look at things at afew angles I have not discovered myself. So please feel free to chime in with dislikes of the project direction as well.

Thank you all very much,

cole

Disregard this same post further down the baord. I misplaced it as a response and not an original post.

• curt_c
    replied

Leave a comment:

• johnastockman
    replied
    Re: Lafayette catalog? *PIC*

> I'll bet it sounded good too...

> C

Curt, it sounded great! I didn't understand all the control knobs, there were ten across the front. I do remember one that controlled the RIAA curve with 4 positions and the speaker wire hook-ups had 3 sections, one pair for 16 ohms, one for 8, and one pair for 4. The speakers used a slot-vent design (I remember my dad cutting the plywood and assembling everything while I looked at the plans) with a Pioneer PIM-16A 2-way (similar to a coax) 6" driver in each box. I still have both drivers, but the paper cones are dried out a little...expected since they were made in the early 60's. I just wish I had that amp! Here's a pic of the driver...I don't know what I'll ever do with them, but for the early 60's, we had the best "hi-fi" of all my friends and relatives! I guess that's what started "it" all for me.

John A.

Leave a comment:

• curt_c
    replied
    Re: Lafayette catalog?

> Curt, that brings back some memories! When I
    > was growing up, my dad built a 16 watt/ch
    > tube amp (from one of their catalogs) that
    > he used with a Garrard (sp) turntable and a
    > pair of speakers built with parts/plans from
    > a local dealer. The dealer, Lafayette
    > Electronics, offered alot of that stuff, and
    > they would even put it together for you, if
    > you wanted.

I'll bet it sounded good too...

C

Leave a comment:

• johnastockman
    replied
    Re: Lafayette catalog?

> Yup, the dipole/bipole switch could be
    > easily added. Sounds like you are going to
    > have fun with this one...

> BTW, for the lobe to angle up from the
    > baffle, the tweeter will need to be
    > connected out out of phase for a 1st order
    > BW, and out of phase for a 3rd BW

> -And in case anyone was wondering what the
    > heck a Layayette catalog was:

Curt, that brings back some memories! When I was growing up, my dad built a 16 watt/ch tube amp (from one of their catalogs) that he used with a Garrard (sp) turntable and a pair of speakers built with parts/plans from a local dealer. The dealer, Lafayette Electronics, offered alot of that stuff, and they would even put it together for you, if you wanted.

John A.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Re: War council:

> I like your subtleness :-). Here's a pic of
    > the type I used to have long ago. Or I
    > should say my parents since I was still a
    > kid.

HOLY CRAP!!! That's the EXACT same console my folks had!!!

Leave a comment:

• chrism
    replied
    Re: Modern hostile take over

I have a vintage Crosley console in my living room sitting beside my vintage Pioneer setup. The Crosley is all original with AM only radio, 78 RPM record player and powered by a mono tube amp. I also have a 1960's Grundig console stereo with every band known to man on it including shortwave, turntable all powered by a tube amp. It has Alnico speakers and Jensen horns. It is absolutely mint without any scratches on it. It sounds wonderful if you are into siting on the floor when you listen to it.

Leave a comment:

• cole
    replied
    Leave somethin for me to come up with

> Oh, and don't forget to mount the ambient
    > drivers so you can pivot them to vary the
    > up/side dispersion angle. ;^)

> C

Damn good idea! The 2 walls running parallel the unit would play a major part in the percieved sound as well. The adjustable ambience speaker would help us dial-in the soundstage in relation to room. Tis shape'n up to be a very hostile takeover indeed my freind. A simple quiet vintage exterior and a "Pimp my 60's council stereo" interior!

Leave a comment:

• curt_c
    replied
    Re: Oh, and....

> just having fun with you about the
    > Lafayette catalog. Man you came thru
    > again! We even fixed up the sound stage on
    > this baby! This was somewhat of a concern as
    > a slanted speaker would cause some wild
    > baffle difraction problems. So we adjust the
    > on axis response in the xo and lift the
    > sound stage by way of ambient speakers.
    > Amazing contribution Curt,

Don't count your contributors before they hatch. Sonetimes they may be scrambled....

Oh, and don't forget to mount the ambient drivers so you can pivot them to vary the up/side dispersion angle. ;^)

C

Leave a comment:

• curt_c
    replied
    Re: Lafayette catalog? *PIC*

> Anyway....

> Bam! Im getting excited! I built a surround
    > speaker using the same idea. With the
    > ambient full ranger mounted in the back.
    > Maybe I could even mount a switch to reverse
    > the polarity of the ambient speaker to give
    > a Di-pole effect if one so desired from time
    > to time. After all, it is just a matter of
    > reversing the polarity from the mains to the
    > ambient right?

Yup, the dipole/bipole switch could be easily added. Sounds like you are going to have fun with this one...

BTW, for the lobe to angle up from the baffle, the tweeter will need to be connected out out of phase for a 1st order BW, and out of phase for a 3rd BW

-And in case anyone was wondering what the heck a Layayette catalog was:

Leave a comment:

• irishbreed
    replied
    To let you know how retarted i am.

My father had a 60ish model RCA console. It had a 25" color tube TV in the middle that was covered with two oak and fabric doors. The right side flipped up to show a working reciever, 8 track, and all the knobs you could ever want to turn. The left side flipped up to expose the working record player, and enough room to house 20 LP's and a dozen or so 8 tracks. All worked except the tv would go in and out. Had to give it away when i moved to a three story apartment. The moral to the story is that it hit so hard when i helped load that 7' long beast, i looked behind it. There was on each side two 10"x15" squared magnet woofers and 4 odd sized others. But there was no back to this unit at all. Man i wished i still had it....

Leave a comment:

• paul_n_oneal
    replied

Yes, your post definitely brought back some nostalgic moments for me. I think it's a wonderful use of resources. Keep us posted on this and I would like to see a pic when your done.

Leave a comment:

• shawn_a
    replied
    Makes for an interesting subwoofer cabinet too

I had one of the old consoles about 15 years ago and I totally gutted the thing. Plopped in a couple of lousy 12" woofers and let 'er rip. Yep, it sure sounded like poopy but I didn't care. It did rumble things up pretty well while playing Super Mario Brothers at the wee hours of the morning. Those were the days.

shawn

Leave a comment:

• cole
    replied

Im getting goose bumps lookin at that! I love the whole simple and vintage look. Merging that concept with the high end components of today seems like a practical solution, as Im always confronted with the issue of were to stash gear. I could always plug in some real floor standers for critical listening.

Leave a comment:

• cole
    replied
    Oh, and....

just having fun with you about the Lafayette catalog. Man you came thru again! We even fixed up the sound stage on this baby! This was somewhat of a concern as a slanted speaker would cause some wild baffle difraction problems. So we adjust the on axis response in the xo and lift the sound stage by way of ambient speakers. Amazing contribution Curt,

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X