Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Hi I am new...And need advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I am new...And need advice

I am getting some PE buyout midbass drivers Peerless 831-735 6.5" hds
    I have planned to use some tower MTM I made and never finished for a different project
    I planned to use the Vifa XT25TG30-04 with these (which I already have).
    Please give me input on this setup and a crossover point and or slope if you can and think they will work well together.
    I am poor and have bought so much stuff over the years, and need to clean house.
    I want to build a stereo pair for my music.
    I really want imaging and open-ness this time if possible and then I can be happy and stop Buying stuff.
    I have my subs done and am happy with that now.

Re: Hi I am new...And need advice

Information that would help for those that would attempt to sim it is

1. What is the width and height of the baffle on the towers
    2. Where are the driver locations on the baffle distance from too or to bottom of the cab to the center point for the driver. Also from the side to center point of the driver.
    3. How much of a roundover is on the cabinet's baffle
    4. For help with tuning what is the towers internal volume.

Take it easy
    Jay
    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
    Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
    Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
    Levitation TM
    - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

Originally posted by Brewski View Post
      Information that would help for those that would attempt to sim it is

1. What is the width and height of the baffle on the towers
      2. Where are the driver locations on the baffle distance from too or to bottom of the cab to the center point for the driver. Also from the side to center point of the driver.
      3. How much of a roundover is on the cabinet's baffle
      4. For help with tuning what is the towers internal volume.

Take it easy
      Jay

I made these towers as 2 boxes stacked and sharing airspace
      so each has a face 8.5x20.5 after round over 7.5x19.5
      so overall 8.5 wide 41tall 14 deep
      I will estimate 1.96ft3 per tower b4 displacement

drivers are MTM and will have no space or 1/8" at most between them at the top of the baffle.I will add a pic of the baffle if that will help.

If you need more info I will get it.
      I hope answered all the questions well...Steve

Comment

oh and drivers holes are cut for a surface mount.
        I have never cit recessed driver holes and dont exactly know how honestly.

Comment

Is the tweeter offset left/right or is the hole for it in the middle of the baffle?
          "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
          Levitation TM

Comment

Is the tweeter offset left/right or is the hole for it in the middle of the baffle?
            No offset, directly in the exact middle of the top baffle.

Comment

These are a single unit each, even they look like 2 stacked boxes...lol
              I havent painted the top halves yet, and will probably do that before the new drivers come.

Comment

I'll try to take a look at it later tonight. If you get a chance measure from the top to the middle of the tweeter's hole and let me know what that value is. The fact they'll be surface mounted will make the result different from the sim. The other thing I'd suggest is adding a false floor or bracing to try to get to around 1.5 - 1.6 cubic feet tuned to 40Hz that seemed to be a sweet spot to me when modeling the drivers in Unibox.

Take it easy
                Jay

Levitation TM

Comment

I'll try to take a look at it later tonight. If you get a chance measure from the top to the middle of the tweeter's hole and let me know what that value is. The fact they'll be surface mounted will make the result different from the sim. The other thing I'd suggest is adding a false floor or bracing to try to get to around 1.5 - 1.6 cubic feet tuned to 40Hz that seemed to be a sweet spot to me when modeling the drivers in Unibox.

Take it easy
                  Jay
                  10.25" top center of tweeter from top, 9.75 if you only count from the roundover

Oh and each section is 20.5" tall and not 20 making the whole enclosure 41" tall. will also put the enclosures right about 1.96ft3 each empty

Comment

Brewski, I was looking at your thread and saw how your back panel was removable.
                    I wish I had thought to implement something like that.
                    I am likely to build new boxes anyway as these are chipped and scratched and unfinished anyway.
                    I will have these enclosures till then. Who knows I might not bother, but then again.....lol

Comment

Don't forget that an LCR notch is pretty much mandatory on the Vifa ring radiator.

Someday, I am going to build something using 6.5" HDS woofers and the ring radiator tweeter
                      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                        Don't forget that an LCR notch is pretty much mandatory on the Vifa ring radiator.

Someday, I am going to build something using 6.5" HDS woofers and the ring radiator tweeter
                        I have seen mention of the LCR, and till now didnt know what it was...a notch filter...thanx!
                        Do they have a bad peak or something?

Comment

Here's the crossover I came up with in PCD good luck with the build. Note if you want to bring the impedance up to 4 ohms or above for the build I'd change the 1.5 inductor to a 20 gauge inductor with DCR of 1.00 ohm.

Take it easy
                          Jay
                          Attached Files

Levitation TM

Comment

Here's the crossover I came up with in PCD good luck with the build. Note if you want to bring the impedance up to 4 ohms or above for the build I'd change the 1.5 inductor to a 20 gauge inductor with DCR of 1.00 ohm.

Take it easy
                            Jay
                            Thanx so much for going to all the trouble to model this for me!!
                            I appreciate it.
                            I have to buy the midbass drivers now...lol
                            The tech at PE told me that the xt25tg30-04 will be lagging behind 1-2 db.
                            Do you see a problem with the output levels?

Comment

I also was wondering if this dent in the tweeter diaphragm will cause distortion or poor sound.
                              I could replace it or just get the Vifa XT25BG60-04
                              It has a higher spl and have very similar specs.

Comment

Working...
                              X