Chicago DIY 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chicago DIY 2011

I hope its not to late to respond that my brother and I would like to attend this event. We are big audio fans but have not stepped into the DIY bracket yet. So, unfortunately we have nothing for show and tell. I have been doing a lot of reading but would like to actually hear some real DIY speakers.

Thanks

Matt

Comment

Everyone is free to attend. Whether or not they've responded or can bring something. The more the merrier.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
      CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Indeed. Come one, come all. Bring your ears!
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
          WOOHOO!!!!
          (dances around)
          Chicago is coming!!!

WOOHOO!!! :D:D
          Wolf

*shields eyes in feigned terror*

See ya Saturday Junior!

Comment

How do your speakers sound Marty?

My wife and I were doing an A/B/A/B listening session last night with "The Trials" that I will be bringing on Saturday and my older design, the RUshers. She commented on how similar they sound to each other... except the Trials sound a LOT bigger. Funny how they ended up sounding so similar even though they use completely different drivers and one is a 2 way and the other a 3 way.
            Craig

Comment

New Sponsor!!

HD Tracks - High Resolution Music

http://chicagodiy2011.x10.mx/sponsors.php

THREE MORE WAKE-UPS PEOPLE!!!

:D :D :D
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

My wife and I are leaving from Bismarck in less than 24 hours! We're going to stop in Alexandria, MN for the night. We'll get up Friday and head for Chi-town. Hope to be there by 4 or 5 PM. Yep, I'm STOKED!!!
                I'm bringing a pair of speakers, but they aren't finished yet. They're built, but they need new front and rear baffles and the veneer needs stained and finished. Kind of embarrassing compared to all the high quality wood working I saw at Iowa 2010. :o Whatever....
                Looking forward to seeing the bunch from Iowa 2010 and meeting some others.
                See you soon,
                Mike
                "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                Bismarck, North Dakota
                My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
                My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                  How do your speakers sound Marty?

My wife and I were doing an A/B/A/B listening session last night with "The Trials" that I will be bringing on Saturday and my older design, the RUshers. She commented on how similar they sound to each other... except the Trials sound a LOT bigger. Funny how they ended up sounding so similar even though they use completely different drivers and one is a 2 way and the other a 3 way.
                  Craig,

The x/o's are 'stock' from PCD, however I had to sub in an 8mH inductor, as one of my 6.8's had a short in it so it's a little muted in the lower range, otherwise it's not bad. On first blush I want to up that lowest octave by reworking the low pass some. The one great thing I've noticed is that two 8" Ushers really can out kick two 6.5" Vifas! I've also noticed that some of the warmth that we'd get out of a 4" mid running down in the 100hz range can't be replicated from the HiVi that has to be crossed over 800 hz.

It'll be good to get them in front of trained ears and hearing the comments.

Looking forward to seeing you and hearing your work - and thanks for asking about mine!

Comment

Just finished pulling a late nighter (well late for me :o). My crossovers are now officially done.... a ton of hot glue and a lot of solder blobs crammed in a pair of free cigar boxes. Definitely not my best crossover work :D

On tap:

Tomorrow night - hook everything back up and listen one more time just to make sure the alligator clip mess of crossovers actually translated to the final crossovers...

Friday night - break it all down and pack it in the Jeepster for Saturday!

See you all then!
                    Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                      Just finished pulling a late nighter (well late for me :o). My crossovers are now officially done.... a ton of hot glue and a lot of solder blobs crammed in a pair of free cigar boxes. Definitely not my best crossover work :D

On tap:

Tomorrow night - hook everything back up and listen one more time just to make sure the alligator clip mess of crossovers actually translated to the final crossovers...

Friday night - break it all down and pack it in the Jeepster for Saturday!

See you all then!
                      Last Saturday, when I read and told Debbie about how far behind Marty and Wolf were with their projects, she said "Why don't you build a pair?"

So . . .

Sat. buy and cut up one-and-a-half 2'x4' handi panels
                      Sun. watch 7-0 Packers, router a 3/8" rabbet along 48 edges, lay out holes
                      Mon. cut holes, fabricate ports and epoxy in rear panels
                      Tue. glue up 5 sides of each box
                      Wed. add braces, padding, glue on final side, cut and drill XO boards and attach heavy components

Thr. will solder up XOs, install, and wire and install drivers, and give a listen
                      Fri. leave for Chicago immediately after work

Unless something goes terribly wrong, it looks like I'll be bringing a pair of "ntn"s to Chicago. Maybe 2 dozen guys have built them, but I've never heard a pair. It's basically a taller Nano Neo with a second 4" woofer.

I'm hoping that the bare PB box will enhance the neat looking pincushion ND105 frames that everyone's in love with.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                        Last Saturday, when I read and told Debbie about how far behind Marty and Wolf were with their projects, she said "Why don't you build a pair?"

So . . .
                        'atta boy! Nothing better than a public showing to put a bit of pressure on. I'm very glad to hear you'll be bringing them.

Comment

Wow....bangin' out a set of ntn's in less than 1 week?!? :eek:

I just realized I may be the slowest speaker builder in North America. :p
                          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

If this starts at 9am and goes till 5pm at what time do you think the show and tell will start?
                            Also I am wondering with all the sponsors that are listed does that mean that there is an admission fee?

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Jr View Post
                              If this starts at 9am and goes till 5pm at what time do you think the show and tell will start?
                              Also I am wondering with all the sponsors that are listed does that mean that there is an admission fee?
                              I guess I should clarify.

The whole event is a show & tell. Basically, each person will have a minimum of 10 minutes to show his design, and we all sit and listen to it.

At the end of the day, we will raffle off door prizes (provided by our sponsors).

There is no admission fee. Just come in and have a seat and listen. if you got something to show, we'll give you your 10 minutes. We'll break for lunch. I have no real structure beyond that. Although I'd like to show speakers in order from small to large, if possible.

Comment

So mine will be at the end :(
                                Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X