Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chicago DIY 2011

Originally posted by martyh View Post
    Had I used someone elses disk or subsequent tracks on my disk (as only the first was 'Audacitied') then things may have gone better.
    Something I notice at these events with most of the designs is how "revealing" the speakers are. This is a true testament to DIY vs. commercial design.

Maybe it's my untrained ears...I dunno. However, I always catch real detail at these events on the many great DIY designs, and like it was pointed out with Marty's Enormity's, maybe the music was a bit compressed. Would that have been spotted so easily in a crappy commercial set?? Me thinks not.

I also noticed so much detail that I, myself, was able to identify tracks that had distortion and clipping in the source. Wolf's speakers seem to reveal this particularly well....maybe because of his crossover mastery?? At any rate....for a relative newbie like myself, these events are truly eye-opening and educational. It brings my love of music to a brand new and awesome level.
    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
      Something I notice at these events with most of the designs is how "revealing" the speakers are. This is a true testament to DIY vs. commercial design.

Maybe it's my untrained ears...I dunno. However, I always catch real detail at these events on the many great DIY designs, and like it was pointed out with Marty's Enormity's, maybe the music was a bit compressed. Would that have been spotted so easily in a crappy commercial set?? Me thinks not.

I also noticed so much detail that I, myself, was able to identify tracks that had distortion and clipping in the source. Wolf's speakers seem to reveal this particularly well....maybe because of his crossover mastery?? At any rate....for a relative newbie like myself, these events are truly eye-opening and educational. It brings my love of music to a brand new and awesome level.

Hey Bryan,

Once again, thanks for the kind words. One other thing though, they're not going to be called the Enormity's.....ugh. :(

Cheers!
      Marty

Comment

Hey Bryan,

Once again, thanks for the kind words. One other thing though, they're not going to be called the Enormity's.....ugh. :(

Cheers!
        Marty
        ?? Did i miss something?
        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

**whistling...**

;):D:rolleyes:
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            **whistling...**

;):D:rolleyes:
            Wolf

This dude decided to take it upon himself to name them. I've graciously declined the moniker.

Comment

My bad.....I had no clue. .....and I passed that name along in the photo-blog too :eek:. It's funny how quickly info spreads in this day and age.

Might we see these in Indiana next year?? It would be great to experience a re-do. I have a particular fascination with co-ax drivers and your (unnamed) build is quite striking and wasn't harsh on the ears at all, even in its unfinished state.
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

This dude decided to take it upon himself to name them. I've graciously declined the moniker.
                Yeah, guys, sometimes I have a jab or 2 on the stated reviews of things I observed in an event. In this case they were so mondo-hugirific, that I took a hacked insertion of a plausible name, and some people just went and ran with it.....

Let's see now... did I use italics on that statement or not??? I'll have to go look...

Later,
                Wolf
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Internet sarcasm has to be one of the hardest languages to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by jcpahman77 View Post
                    Internet sarcasm has to be one of the hardest languages to speak.
                    I knew Marty would get the humor, but didn't figure on everybody else I guess. I edited the statement to reflect the joke a little easier.

Later,
                    Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      I knew Marty would get the humor, but didn't figure on everybody else I guess. I edited the statement to reflect the joke a little easier.

Later,
                      Wolf
                      Oh I got it Junior - no worries. Just keep your grubby mitts off 'em! :p

While I'd love to make more shows my free time gets sucked up pretty fast, so one event per year is enough for me...and I always enjoy the trip to Grinnell, so that's where they'll make their next appearance.

Comment

I should add a disclaimer that my posts are currently effected by Percoset and pain. I'm sure an amount of what I'm saying isn't exactly logical right now, I'm definitely 'under the influence'.

Comment

• Honorable Mentions!

Attached Files
                          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

• Re: Honorable Mentions!

Attached Files
                            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Interesting!

Yeah- I bet the Trike's aren't nice in most women's eyes, especially unfinished. That's currently being remedied....

I see the Sophomores came out ahead of the NTN for the 'gift category'.
                              Thanks, Gents/Gals!

Even then, somebody felt either of them were good enough for them!

Very interesting!
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

And hey! Looks like my little design got a little run after all!

I will say though, MarkK had nothing to do with 'em...they'd probably be a lot better if he had....:D

I'm glad to see people liked 'em. I hope to be in Indiana next year, but I've said that a couple of times before, and have yet to make it out there.:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting that, Paul!

Mark
                                You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                                X