Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago DIY 2011

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

    Wow. Pretty Graphs! I was just expecting to see the winner in each category. Thanks for the graphs. I like seeing how close some were or not.

    Dan had the worst WAF??? :eek: You people are crazy! :p

    The rest of the votes followed my thoughts pretty closely. Whoooh.

    I really appreciate everyone's votes for my speakers. Thank you.

    And for all of those who loved CJD's Ansonica, you better snap up those Anarchy drivers. DIYcable is cutting back to a part-time job, who knows what the supply will be.
    - Ryan

    CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
    CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

    Comment


    • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

      Originally posted by ---k--- View Post
      Dan had the worst WAF??? :eek: You people are crazy!
      Second year in a row for this honor. My Blades had the distinction last year. I'd say I'll have this one locked up for the foreseable future, since you won't be seeing too many traditional or small boxes from my laboratory. :D

      Fortunatley, my spouse loves what I create and that's what counts.:p
      Dan N.

      Comment


      • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

        Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
        Second year in a row for this honor. My Blades had the distinction last year. I'd say I'll have this one locked up for the foreseable future, since you won't be seeing too many traditional or small boxes from my laboratory. :D

        Fortunatley, my spouse loves what I create and that's what counts.:p
        I don't quite understand this. Why are a bunch of guys trying to decide what has the best/worst WAF? We need a wives-only survey, but for that to really work at a DIY, we need more wives. I know that as a guy, your BaSSlines, Blades, or Contrapessos would satisfy my desire to have 'sports cars for my living room'. Keep doing what you're doing; h8ers gonna h8.

        My own write-up on the event is below. (Took me long enough; yeah, I know.)
        -----------
        First of all, I want to congratulate Paul Carmody on a stellar first run of a new DIY show. This event has real potential in future years, and I told him that once people saw what they had missed, this thing would go big.

        The venue was excellent. The Hyatt Regency Woodfield-Schaumburg was the perfect setting, and there were plenty of great restaurants around. I think this event more than any in the past (and more than Iowa) has been defined by great food, with the Factory restaurant in Fort Wayne for InDIYana coming in second (just because it seemed like we were always there instead of having a variety of places). I appreciated having the discounted room rate available for the event, which made it affordable to 'co-locate' with the event and be around for all the night-before schmoozing and 'sampling'. I got to hear Wolf's Trichotomies, Brian Keane's build of Paul Carmody's Speedsters, and Scott Sehlin's Vanadiums, and all three were sounding excellent. I was happy for the chance to cross-examine Paul's Speedsters with a lot of my own material after having heard them at InDIYana, since I'm planning a design using the same midbass, and we had a great time pounding them with a DTA-100 running flat-out with orchestral metal by Nightwish at levels you normally shouldn't run at in a hotel room no matter the time of day (proving that we didn't have neighbors). My own Firestorms weren't present because I haven't built their revised crossovers yet, despite it being several months past DIY Dayton. First laziness and then personal business kept them from being done.

        This show made an excellent showing for its first official run not only in having an extremely competent venue, but in its attendees. I was glad to finally meet CJD, and Ryan (--k--), and it was good to see familiar faces like Craig (PWR RYD), Marty (battery-car), Brian Keane, and Dan Neubecker. I also noticed the room becoming more full later in the day (better late than never), but we always had plenty of space and open seating - it was never 'standing room only'. Here's my thanks to the sponsors, even though I didn't win anything this time around.

        My favorite design of the day: Auroras. "Fanfare for the Common Man" brought a tear to my eye, which only happened once before with Curt's Mavericks at Iowa DIY 2009 on Josh Groban's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring". A very emotionally involving design. But I was biting my nails throughout the day watching those heavy things totter back and forth on their stands, which decidedly weren't up to the task. I was a bit unsettled to hear people have been having problems with the Vifa NE 8" drivers, but from what I could hear I didn't hear anything at all that sounded wrong with the units in the Auroras. The metal dome tweeters sounded just fine to me; I hope Pete and Ed (I think was the other guy's name) will do some comparative listening with the metal and fabric domes. The metal domes may have a better time driving that waveguide; I don't know if there would be any difference between the two but the added rigidity of the aluminum dome surely couldn't hurt things when pressure-coupled to the air load of the waveguide near the bottom of its range.

        My second favorite design, and my pick for "would love to have in my living room": CJD's Ansonicas. I have a pair of Anarchy midbasses in their cartons and I wanted to hear how well they fared in a two-way design. When the bass energy heated up in the music, I felt a bit of the cohesiveness was sacrificed for deep bass (probably some increase in IMD in the midrange when that occurred), but that was a very minor criticism. Overall I felt the Anarchy did great as a midbass in a traditional two-way design with a capable dome tweeter, but my own design using the driver will have a different spin on the two-way. I think the Exodus Anarchy drivers would be an excellent cosmetic match to the Dayton RS-series drivers in a 3-way. I'm sorry to hear they will soon be NLA, and I'm glad I got mine. I hope maybe they can be transitioned over to Madisound or Meniscus, per KH's stated intent to find a new partner for them, and I hope we'll see the 5.25" version as well if that happens.

        I have to weigh in on the Breeze. The unassailably realistic "Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal" treble quality was in full effect with this speaker, but I felt it was still let down somewhat by its midbass driver. You've got to sacrifice somewhere to produce a more affordable design with a RAAL tweeter, especially with the price of Neo being what it is, so I felt overall that the compromise was acceptable. I'm not sure how I feel about using the off-the-shelf Parts Express cabinet. Overall, being a commercial product, I felt it represented itself well; the roughness around the edges that identifies a 'DIY' design was totally absent. The room was probably just a bit too big, leading to overworking the midbasses, which broke the suspension of disbelief in my mind with audible bass distortion ("bwoow") while trying to reproduce musical scale at their very limits. In a smaller room I'll bet they would be great.

        The biggest surprise of the show for me was Ryan (---k---)'s Ochocinco MTM. They were nicely balanced and did a great job of presenting both detail and scale without sounding flabby, congested, or overworked. In some nicer cabinets with grilles they would be more of a 'high-end' contender, but I wasn't a fan of the cabinets presented at the show, which looked like stained plywood, so the total 'package' felt incomplete.

        Brian Keane's version of Paul's Speedsters were the nicest I've seen so far, and very well done. Overall, I found the voicing of the design to be a little on the 'polite' side, favoring 'musicality' over detail (which was still present in abundance c/o the ribbon) but with surprising bass (that was also at the limits of sounding overworked in the big room with the big amps). My Neutrino design has some big shoes to fill, but I expect I'll have them ready before InDIYana.

        I will definitely be back to this event if it happens next year.

        And that's that.
        Best Regards,

        Rory Buszka

        Taterworks Audio

        "The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

        If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

        Comment


        • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

          Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
          Second year in a row for this honor. My Blades had the distinction last year. I'd say I'll have this one locked up for the foreseable future, since you won't be seeing too many traditional or small boxes from my laboratory. :D

          Fortunatley, my spouse loves what I create and that's what counts.:p
          Since I'm stepping outside my comfort zone on boxes, I feel I might try and steal that claim from you somewhere down the road... :rolleyes:

          Heh,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

          *InDIYana event website*

          Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

          My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

          Comment


          • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

            Gitty Up I'm finally number 2.... Ah Man! for Worst SAF :( :D

            Cool poll Paul
            Craig

            Comment


            • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

              Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
              The biggest surprise of the show for me was Ryan (---k---)'s Ochocinco MTM. They were nicely balanced and did a great job of presenting both detail and scale without sounding flabby, congested, or overworked. In some nicer cabinets with grilles they would be more of a 'high-end' contender, but I wasn't a fan of the cabinets presented at the show, which looked like stained plywood, so the total 'package' felt incomplete.
              Thank's Rory. It means a lot that you were impressed by them. Of course, all the praise goes to CJD. Without his crossover skills, I would have a mess.

              As for the cabinets, I take no offense. I enjoy rough carpentry - going out the the garage and hacking things together without much advance thought. I loath the thought of spending hours and hours sanding to get a piano finish. The cabinets were also part of that whole bang-for-the-buck approach. Originally, the deal was they were to be delivered to my brother without any finish. Anyway... I'll leave to to someone else to put a pretty version together.
              - Ryan

              CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
              CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

              Comment


              • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

                Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                Second year in a row for this honor. My Blades had the distinction last year. I'd say I'll have this one locked up for the foreseable future, since you won't be seeing too many traditional or small boxes from my laboratory. :D

                Fortunatley, my spouse loves what I create and that's what counts.:p
                Dan,
                I totally understand the Blades failing to please the ladies, but these?? I thought they had an art gallery feel to them. Oh well.... Glad you're wife likes them. Mine would gladly have your omni's that were on the cover w/ the RS150s.
                - Ryan

                CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

                Comment


                • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

                  The Anarchy is gonna be around for a while from the sound of things.

                  FWIW, spot-on regarding the effects of excursion on the midrange. It just can't be avoided in ANY 2-way - at least, if you feed it bass. Of course, a waveguide with the Anarchy below could mitigate a bit more of this... ;) Or, of course, a 3-way.

                  C
                  diVine Audio

                  Comment


                  • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

                    Originally posted by ---k--- View Post
                    Dan,
                    I totally understand the Blades failing to please the ladies, but these?? I thought they had an art gallery feel to them.
                    +1
                    I was thinking the same thing.
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

                    Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                    Twitter: @undefinition1

                    Comment


                    • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

                      I got a 'Worst SAF' vote? Really? Musta been based on their size b/c I thought they were pretty.

                      Maybe I should make 'em look like Wolf's Tracheotomy, or whatever they're called. :p

                      Comment


                      • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

                        Originally posted by martyh View Post
                        I got a 'Worst SAF' vote? Really? Musta been based on their size b/c I thought they were pretty.

                        Maybe I should make 'em look like Wolf's Tracheotomy, or whatever they're called. :p
                        lol @ Tracheotomy. You guys are too much. Thank you for giving me a smile. Needed one this morning.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

                          Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
                          My favorite design of the day: Auroras. "Fanfare for the Common Man" brought a tear to my eye, which only happened once before with Curt's Mavericks at Iowa DIY 2009 on Josh Groban's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring". A very emotionally involving design. But I was biting my nails throughout the day watching those heavy things totter back and forth on their stands, which decidedly weren't up to the task. I was a bit unsettled to hear people have been having problems with the Vifa NE 8" drivers, but from what I could hear I didn't hear anything at all that sounded wrong with the units in the Auroras. The metal dome tweeters sounded just fine to me; I hope Pete and Ed (I think was the other guy's name) will do some comparative listening with the metal and fabric domes. The metal domes may have a better time driving that waveguide; I don't know if there would be any difference between the two but the added rigidity of the aluminum dome surely couldn't hurt things when pressure-coupled to the air load of the waveguide near the bottom of its range.
                          I now have to qualify this statement based on the following:





                          I now feel a little co-opted, since it was not revealed at the Chicago DIY event that the Auroras ("Mini-Byzy") would become a commercial product. I exempted the Vapor Breeze from my ranking of 'favorite design' because they are a commercial product, and as such we're not likely to see the design details (crossover, cabinet internals) published for the benefit of the community. My pick for 'favorite project' of Chicago DIY 2011 is now the CJD Ansonicas, since they are genuinely a DIY effort (with publicly viewable cabinet drawings and crossover schematics), and not available commercially.

                          This is like having Bogdan's Catalinas taking home first place at the DIY Dayton event and then suddenly showing up in a review on 6moons.com as a commercial product at $22,000/pr. The question then becomes whether it was ever the intention of the designer to make the design publicly available.
                          Best Regards,

                          Rory Buszka

                          Taterworks Audio

                          "The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

                          If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

                            Originally posted by ---k--- View Post
                            Dan,
                            I totally understand the Blades failing to please the ladies, but these?? I thought they had an art gallery feel to them. Oh well.... Glad you're wife likes them. Mine would gladly have your omni's that were on the cover w/ the RS150s.
                            Thanks, Ryan and Paul. That's exactly what I was going for. I wanted them to look like a contemporary piece of sculpture. In fact, I asked my son-in-laws opinion of the design (masters is in art, specializes in sculpture) and he loved the look. I knew they would not be for everyone however and fully expected the Worst WAF vote.

                            The rest of you guys just have no taste!:p
                            Dan N.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

                              Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
                              I now have to qualify this statement based on the following:



                              I now feel a little co-opted, since it was not revealed at the Chicago DIY event that the Auroras ("Mini-Byzy") would become a commercial product. I exempted the Vapor Breeze from my ranking of 'favorite design' because they are a commercial product, and as such we're not likely to see the design details (crossover, cabinet internals) published for the benefit of the community. My pick for 'favorite project' of Chicago DIY 2011 is now the CJD Ansonicas, since they are genuinely a DIY effort (with publicly viewable cabinet drawings and crossover schematics), and not available commercially.

                              This is like having Bogdan's Catalinas taking home first place at the DIY Dayton event and then suddenly showing up in a review on 6moons.com as a commercial product at $22,000/pr. The question then becomes whether it was ever the intention of the designer to make the design publicly available.
                              Sorry if you feel that way. Didn't intend to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

                              But it didn't start out as a commercial design, and not a single unit has been sold. This was Ed's total DIY effort with our help on a crossover. Ed wanted to take the Byzy shape and add the flair he'd like to have done if the original wasn't so huge. The entire process was shown for all to see in another couple threads including the waveguide, which Ed is offering to make for anyone who wants one.

                              It was only after getting to hear the first prototype cabinet, that Ryan offered to put up Ed's cabinetry via Vapor. It's cabinetry worthy of a commercial product, as you saw. Ed put in a lot of time developing the method for making two nearly identical cabinets that would be extremely difficult for any DIY'er to replicate. A project (or two) and XO for that waveguide and various woofers will become public. That's already in the works, and should be very close to the Aurora in every way, except the cabinet.

                              Still, glad you liked them, as I'm sure Ed is too.
                              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

                              95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Chicago DIY 2011

                                Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
                                I now have to qualify this statement based on the following:





                                I now feel a little co-opted, since it was not revealed at the Chicago DIY event that the Auroras ("Mini-Byzy") would become a commercial product. I exempted the Vapor Breeze from my ranking of 'favorite design' because they are a commercial product, and as such we're not likely to see the design details (crossover, cabinet internals) published for the benefit of the community. My pick for 'favorite project' of Chicago DIY 2011 is now the CJD Ansonicas, since they are genuinely a DIY effort (with publicly viewable cabinet drawings and crossover schematics), and not available commercially.

                                This is like having Bogdan's Catalinas taking home first place at the DIY Dayton event and then suddenly showing up in a review on 6moons.com as a commercial product at $22,000/pr. The question then becomes whether it was ever the intention of the designer to make the design publicly available.

                                Business as usual.


                                Otherwise, Looks like it was a wonderful event! Wish I could make more of these types of events more often! I would love to hear some of what the midwest/upper midwest has to offer.
                                .

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X