• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chicago DIY 2011

You know what?

More people wanted the Ansonica in their living room. :P

Wheeee.

Seriously, Pete and Ed have put together a tremendous sounding speaker in a really interesting package. I had to get downright picky in listening, which was awesome. The sound, the dimensionality, the... so damn nice. And they did better than I've ever heard a 2-way handle Mahler's 8th, last movement of Part 1. That's torture to reproduce well. (for anyone counting, that's what was playing when most folks were wandering back in from lunch.)

For me, they're still very much a part of the DIY community and sharing far more than they may ever make back in profits. And you can get your own waveguide. And a DIY offering in the offing. And... ...

C
    diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by cjd View Post
      You know what?

More people wanted the Ansonica in their living room. :P

Wheeee.

Seriously, Pete and Ed have put together a tremendous sounding speaker in a really interesting package. I had to get downright picky in listening, which was awesome. The sound, the dimensionality, the... so damn nice. And they did better than I've ever heard a 2-way handle Mahler's 8th, last movement of Part 1. That's torture to reproduce well. (for anyone counting, that's what was playing when most folks were wandering back in from lunch.)

For me, they're still very much a part of the DIY community and sharing far more than they may ever make back in profits. And you can get your own waveguide. And a DIY offering in the offing. And... ...

C
      :o
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffG. View Post
        He spent a significant amount of time with me explaining how those were made. Very detailed explanation, showed me photos and did some pen and paper explanations. Enough where I completely understood the process and could probably recreate them, or do some other type of similar design.

Great guy and smart.
        Indeed. The best part of both the Byzy build, and now this one, is that I got to know Ed (and Ryan) a lot better. When the Zombie apocalypse happens, I definitely want Ryan and Ed in my corner, with me re-loading the cartridges.

Originally posted by JeffG. View Post
        He also explained the commercial aspirations of the group for that project, and I told him it probably wasn't a great idea to sit there and tell me everything I needed to know to do the design, but it never phased him. Even offered to let me come to visit his shop and see how it was done in person.
        It all started after Iowa last year, and the reception the Byzy's got. We had already done a drawing of the miniature version with thoughts that it might be commercially viable. Who doesn't dream of selling a speaker or two. But it was such a complicated build, that realistically, it looked to be more of a 1-off type of project. The original concept of course was a much more traditional 2-way, but again, that's another very common type of speaker, so commercial promise was minimal.

So, from that point, it was just an exercise in possibility, with the whole process put out there for everyone to watch. Later on came the waveguide, and that's when the "difference" came to the equation. IF it was possible to replicate the cabinet, THEN commercial potential existed, but only if it could also sound good. I had no doubts Ed could make an incredibly solid cabinet. I have the biggest one he's made (so far). The question was whether we could get something to sound nice enough to convince Ryan to put a "Vapor" stamp of approval on it. After all, his standard is pretty high.

Again, thanks everyone for your feedback on the sound (positive AND negative), looks, everything. I'll take that with me into the next project featuring Ed's waveguide and the PE .75cf cabinet. Maybe a WG version of Mark K's RS28/RS225 . . .

Or, would you prefer the Usher 8948A?
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by iLovPieNCake View Post
          Wolf, I thought your soundtrack was good and offered a nice idea of how the speakers would sound for people's different tastes.

I was surprised by how few people brought their own CDs. I'm a firm believer that a speaker should be designed to your tastes. But a general CD is good to get a good idea of how speaker A compares to speaker B.

If I do design a nice enough speaker for next years meet, I hope to play 5 minutes of the "general" cd then put on a CD that represents the taste I set out for the speaker.
          Thanks, bud!
          FWIW- normally there is 5 min on the 'house' tracks, and then 5 min of your own at all the other events.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

It all started after Iowa last year, and the reception the Byzy's got. We had already done a drawing of the miniature version with thoughts that it might be commercially viable. Who doesn't dream of selling a speaker or two. But it was such a complicated build, that realistically, it looked to be more of a 1-off type of project. The original concept of course was a much more traditional 2-way, but again, that's another very common type of speaker, so commercial promise was minimal.
            Is the commercial design going to use a different woofer? I thought there were quality control problems with the woofer you used in the Aurora.

Comment

Originally posted by esprit View Post
              Is the commercial design going to use a different woofer? I thought there were quality control problems with the woofer you used in the Aurora.
              Probably in the long term. Until then, we'll screen for the gems. We've got a very small cache of good drivers ready to go, for the short term. Of course, the sound is never good enough. Finding another 8" woofer with the specs of that Vifa is a very tall order, but I'm looking. The 8 Ohm version would work in the cabinet, but then you lose some of the high sensitivity benefit of the waveguide loaded dome. I mean, it could still work and sound just fine, but then you're complicating the XO just a bit more. It's a great woofer when you get a good one. And PE really came through to get the right ones on hand when we needed them.

That's the obsession and the fun, and we'll be trying new tweeters looking for something even better than the RS28 has to offer, if we can find one without busting the budget of course.

We have talked about using that same cabinet, behind the Audio Technology 8" woofer and RAAL 140-15D. Keeps the high sensitivity. But talk about your BLING! That would demand a stratospheric price of course. Sure makes it nice if someone sends you an email and says, "Build it, and send it to me when it's ready." The best part is, Ed's work is definitely equal to the task.

This was the first time I got to see those cabinets too, and was as stunned as everyone else. We had the naked first prototypes, which are lightweights compared to those 60 pound sculptures. I have a strong feeling that Ed's improvements to the cabinet construction have a sonic benefit over the pair we have here.

Comment

From a commercial aspect there is a lot of benefit in having that removable baffle then. Should you change the tweeter or woofer enough to call it a "version 2" you could offer the baffle, drivers, and x-over, at a reduced upgrade only price. It seems like what has been designed here is a very solid foundation for a number of very quality products.

Comment

I got no issues with all the talk about the biz end of selling the Min Byz/ Aurora speakers. But, it probably should be done over in that thread.

Let's keep this thread on topic, like how amazingly good the Ochocinco's sounded and really stole the show. :p
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                  CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Originally posted by ---k--- View Post
                    I got no issues with all the talk about the biz end of selling the Min Byz/ Aurora speakers. But, it probably should be done over in that thread.

Let's keep this thread on topic, like how amazingly good the Ochocinco's sounded and really stole the show. :p
                    Ocho-what-now? Just kidding, loved em.

Comment

Originally posted by ---k---
                      Quote:

FWIW, I tried very hard to select music to demo my speakers. I went through CD after CD. But, I kept ruling selections out because they weren't complex enough to challenge the speakers, or they had fun bass which I didn't think would play well without the sub in that room, or blah blah blah. I gave up in favor of using the event music.

At the three DIY event's I've been to, at all three people complained about the music selection. It is a no win task. I appreciate Paul trying.

Oh and Paul, Blue Man Group is in my regular rotation and I enjoy quite a bit..
                      Originally posted by DougP View Post
                      That is a very true statement. I think it mostly has to do with hearing a selection so many times that it becomes tiresome. That's why I never pick a song I love for one of these things.
                      Doug
                      One of the things I liked about last years DIY Iowa was that there wasn't a set playlist and most people brought there own music. Very little repetition and lots of exposure to new mostly well recorded music.

In Chicago there were a few tracks that Paul selected that I couldn't imagine would sound good on anything. That may have been because the music wasn't my style but some tracks just didn't give me any reference to something in real life. I also think that when playback levels are arbitrary that the louder speaker usually wins. If you're going to try to compare the same tracks on various speakers you really should try to match playback levels.

One other thing I noticed in Chicago that I don't remember from Grinnell was having to try to listen over conversations people were having while speakers were being demoed. I thought that was kind of rude and found it annoying.

I had a really nice time in Chicago. The hotel was nice, the food was good, I got to hear lots of great speakers and music and I got to meet some really nice people. Again, my thanks to Paul and friends and family for putting it together. Hope to see you all in Grinnell.

Ron
                      C-Note Iron Driver Build
                      The Lydias
                      The Cherry π's
                      The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                      My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Originally posted by esprit View Post
                        Ocho-what-now? Just kidding, loved em.
                        Only a week later, my ntns look a bit better.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                          Well I have to say, nobody knocks out a set of speakers as quickly and as nicely as you do.

Those are very Apple-esque as well.......very very nice.
                          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                            Those look great!
                            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                            CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Greetings all!

Curious to read about any and all updates on the designs presented at the Chicago DIY event a month back now.

I've made a number of mods to mine including redoing the entire crossover, reducing that forward feel they had, and modifying the box tuning. While they sound significantly more integrated I still hear a 'hole' in the 350-450 hz range...looks like I should get a mic on them and see if hearing is believing.

Let's hear the stories boys.

Marty

BTW, they're still nameless ;)

Comment

So your Enormities have gotten some love and attention then, eh? :D

All I have done with any of mine is to glue a mass-damper pad to the rear of the BG Neo3PDR's backcup in the Trichotomys, as well as finish them up with paint.

The ones that made a reappearance at CKY-DIY were well accepted.

It's getting too cold here....
                                Wolf
                                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                                X