Chicago DIY 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chicago DIY 2011

I've been thinking of building a pair of DIY speakers, but wanted to hear some designs first. Can't pass up this chance. Just hope I don't get stuck working that day.

Comment

Do whatever you can to make sure you have that day off work. You will be amazed at what hear and see from some of the guys around here. I know I was in Grinnell last fall.
      Craig

Comment

My advice, FWIW, is to do everything you can to be there. I was at Grinnell last fall and heard some great speakers. I built one pair, Chris's Nano-neos, and have the parts for another, Ron's Crystals. The group of people was great too. Definitely would be worth whatever you have to do to be there. It's quite a distance for me this year, about 800 miles, but I'm going to try to make it.
        Mike
        "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
        Bismarck, North Dakota
        My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
        My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

This sounds like something I can make, but it's too early to say for sure. If I am able to make it, I'll have lots of fun stuff to bring.

I also know a couple electronics vendors in the Chicago area that might want to provide some front-end gear if interested. Let me know, and I'll give you their info.
          Vapor Audio

Comment

SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!! Cant wait to go to this. Hopefully we can meet b4 this happens Paul. I will be there. :eek:

Comment

I love you, Paul, for starting this and your awesome Speedster design.

I'm in. It's a bit of a drive to the meeting place from chicago but meh, whatever.

Comment

Hah, funny, I just checked the PE boards here to see if there was some type of Iowa DIY meet coming up. I know that the Iowa meet wasn't going to happen, and this thread just happened to show up a couple days ago.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make a Chicago meet. That's just a tad too far out of my area to drive to :( I hope to see lots of pictures though!
                -Brian

Comment

I'm SO THERE, dude!!!:D
                  The Past is history. The Future is a mystery. Today is a gift; that's why its called the Present. (Grand Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda)

Comment

Glad to see you putting this together Paul. I wish I could be there but it just isn't going to happen. With any luck at all I can do Iowa next fall. Maybe we can start an alternating year kind of thing.
                    Doug
                    http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

I'm hoping so....

It should not be a problem. About a 5-6 hr drive, and I can still work that day before if I want to. Matt said he's in, so it should be doable.

Thanks for doing this, Paul! I also like the idea of an alternating locale.

I may get ahold of you for some more details, and I'm in on the 'silent ballot' plan. I also favored your honorable mentions at Iowa.

Later,
                      Wolf

PS:
                      (I'm currently nursing a sick PC, but nothing has been lost, and I'm on the secondary 'safe' drive right now. I'll be installing Windows over the next week likely, so I'll be in/out of here if someone needs to reach me. Turns out my Firewall was down, unbeknownst to me, and I got a 16bit MS-DOS error to close to stop or ignore et al. I hit Close, and reboot said 'Load needed DLL's for Kernel'. I've been bandaiding a RunDLL.exe crash on my partition (virus) for about 2 months using the apparently okay wifey's partition, so I'm overdue. Also had graphix card fan quit, and replaced it with aftermarket hoping the processor didn't completely die, and it seems to be operating just fine. Again- nothing lost but time and aggravation in this process. Please bear with me...)
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Bump to post head count (see 2nd post).

Special Room Rates: I will check into this. They have transferred me to a different banquet manager, so once I know who that is, I'll ask.

Has anyone posted this to DIYAudio, audiokarma, etc.? So far, it looks like a small showing.
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

When you determine if they'll offer a special (lower price) room rate, ask what their cancellation policy will be. Often you can't cancel very close to the scheduled arrival date without having to pay one night's lodging as a penalty with the credit card used to reserve the room.
                          Paul

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post

Special Room Rates: I will check into this. They have transferred me to a different banquet manager, so once I know who that is, I'll ask.

Has anyone posted this to DIYAudio, audiokarma, etc.? So far, it looks like a small showing.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post

That would be beneficial, pleae let us know....
                            Later,
                            Wolf
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I'll be there, Fo' Sho'.
                              Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
                                I'll be there, Fo' Sho'.
                                YGM, T!
                                Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...
                                X