Chicago DIY 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chicago DIY 2011

At this point it looks like I'll be able to attend and will demo, in some state of completion, a three-way project using the Vifa OX-20 tweeter, Tang Band 75-1558SE dome mid, and Aurum Cantus AC-200MKII woofer.

I also have a couple small two-ways that could be demoed, but I'll probably leave them as optional.

One has the TB W5-704D and the Morel MDT-20. They were designed with second order acoustic slopes. I suspect they have a lot in common with the "Noobster" project over on HTGuide although I have never heard those.

The other uses the HiVi M5n and the Vifa BC25sc06-04 in the 0.25 cu. ft. PE box. This has a series crossover, but relatively steep slopes to deal with the HiVi's breakup. Probably not tremendously different than Paul's "Swope" MT, but maybe some subtle differences...

Of possible interest to CJD, I have an Emotiva XDA-1 that would give dac and remote preamp functionality as well as balanced outs that I could bring if that would help any. Downside is that it will only take digital sources.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
      Of possible interest to CJD, I have an Emotiva XDA-1 that would give dac and remote preamp functionality as well as balanced outs that I could bring if that would help any. Downside is that it will only take digital sources.
      Would definitely be interesting to play with in the mix, but they go pretty lean on the low end comparatively, so we'd at least have to take that into account for our listening. Additionally, the "volume" control is all in the digital realm and that's not good for lower level listening in the grand scheme of things. On the other hand, the Joshua Tree attenuator I have would work brilliantly with it (it's got a glitch toward the top end of its range) if the Opus acts up on me. But I just have to eliminate the source switch I had tried to include in it and it should be golden once again.

My wife got me the Emo pre as a gift, so I kinda had to ditch the balanced-only (as I built it) Opus for a bit.

Just realized I probably need another good extension cable. I have two, but really should have one per XPA plus one for the rest.

Man, I hope my back is OK after the weekend is over!

C
      diVine Audio

Comment

You know Chris, Paul only has the room for 8 hours. ;)
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
        CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Guys--

I am updating the Attendees section of the website. My son (the original site designer) is really bogged down this week with school/work. I think he did a great job with the initial layout, so I told him I'd try to do the maintenance and updates and give him a break...LOL -- not sure what I was thinking when I said that.

Anyway, I updated the Exhibitors/Attendees page, found here: http://chicagodiy2011.x10.mx/attendees.php

Please check back often as we will be updating the whole site with pertinent info. I will try to post here when changes are made.

PLEASE hit me up if I am publishing anything incorrectly or if you have additions/corrections/etc. We want to keep everyone in the loop, but obviously we want the correct info published.

Also please feel free to push the URL out to other DIY forums -- http://www.chicagodiy2011.x10.mx/

:D:D:D
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attach | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | COGAR, COUGAR II and COGAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

BUMP

---for any additional info on attendees or exhibitors that needs to be updated on the SITE.

Let me know. Thanks.

Event home page - http://chicagodiy2011.x10.mx/
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attach | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | COGAR, COUGAR II and COGAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Please update to indicate that I will be exhibiting "The Trials", a MTMW.
              Craig

Comment

BUMP---- 1 MONTH AWAY !!

Made a few SITE updates --

Exhibitors / Attendees

Links

Please post here if you're planning to attend and/or exhibit so we can get an accurate head count.

Website submissions, ideas, etc., can be sent to me via PM.
                Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

I notice that Paul Carmody isn't listed as attending or bringing anything. Ha!

I also believe that CJD along with his front end gear will be bring his Ansonica speakers.
                  http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=35601

I'm really looking forward to this, but am a bit concerned by what appears to be a lack of talk. Iowa always seemed to have hoopla leading up to it. Chicago should be way better than Iowa, right? ;)
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                  CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Originally posted by ---k--- View Post
                    I'm really looking forward to this, but am a bit concerned by what appears to be a lack of talk. Iowa always seemed to have hoopla leading up to it. Chicago should be way better than Iowa, right? ;)
                    This should be a layup for any DIY speaker guy ...... Bring the whole family down and drop off the kids and the wife @ Woodfield Mall, or downtown at the Mag Mile or Museum Campus. Hell, just leave them at the Hyatt....they have a nice indoor pool.

SPREAD THE WORD!! http://chicagodiy2011.x10.mx/ :D

BTW - I'm up for a Friday night get-together. If we get enough interest, I will also stick that on the site.
                    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Who's coming from Iowa?! I remember seeing Jim Holtz in Chicago at past events....I would like to see more regulars here too.

Comment

Bryan K. if you want to put my projects on the website, I'll be bringing the Daisho, with RS180, RS100, and ND20FB-4, also the Kancho, with Vifa NE19 VTS-04, and TB W4-1720. I may also bring a reworked version of my Satori with Vifa XT25SC50-04, (yes Wolf I ditched the DQ25) Peerless 830883, and RS225. Looking forward to the event and getting to see everyone again.
                        "If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? - Dogen

"Why are you wearing that stupid human suit" - Frank

"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back" - Roland

Comment

I notice that Paul Carmody isn't listed as attending or bringing anything. Ha!

I also believe that CJD along with his front end gear will be bring his Ansonica speakers.
                          http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=35601

'Lack of Talk'? Well in my case it's primarily because by this time I'd be well into Month 2 or 3 of voicing and I've yet to cut the baffle....so my lack of chatter should be perfectly understandable. :o

Oh, and to answer your question, 'Not necessarily'. Iowa has its own special charm and camaraderie that a big city couldn't hope to match. The pastoral location, small town charm, welcoming locals, Margaritas Mexican Restaurant, rubbing elbows with the college kids. You won't get any of that in a major city. The setting is uniquely qualified to host this event. Doug and his family are the finest hosts!

Comment

I live in Chicago (in the city) -- close to downtown. Something I've noticed over my 44 years here is that sometimes these's a good deal of apprehension when it comes to attending "city events." It CAN be quite an intimidating town.

However............ just FYI - The Chicago DIY is in a very nice northwest suburb....I'm sure everyone who's attending positively understands that, but if there's any question, we won't be in the guts of the big bad city....lol.

I think Paul made an extremely smart choice with his venue selection because it's:
                            1) outside the city
                            2) right on major interstates, so easily accessible.
                            3) cheap, compared to "in the city"
                            4) close enough to the city where you can make it a "mini vacation" with the family if you want to.

Anyway....I'm sure it will be tons of fun and I'm looking forward to it. I will be updating the "LINKS" page later tonight with more "Chicago stuff" just in case there are out of town attendees who plan to make a weekend of it.

Please check the site often for updates....Thanks.

http://chicagodiy2011.x10.mx/
                            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

I'm fairly certain I will be able to make it to this, although I will certainly be late. I have an overnight event at my church with our jr high group.

I will be bringing my yet-to-be-named Aura NS35/Nuance Budget TM speakers if I do come, and possibly one more design as well.
                              Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post

Please check the site often for updates....Thanks.

http://chicagodiy2011.x10.mx/
                                .mx? That is odd...
                                Man, I would love to attend to any of the DIY events, but they are kind of far, from here to Chicago (if we trust google) there are over 1700 miles.

Would you care to come to Guadalajara? We have Tequila and pretty ladies
                                My Statement monitors
                                My Piccolatas
                                My LM3886 amp

Comment

Working...
                                X