Announcement

Collapse

Columbus Day Sale

Extended One More Day! Columbus Day Sale at Parts Express! 10/15/19 Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

Chicago DIY 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chicago DIY 2011

Originally posted by martyh View Post
    Not ready - nowhere near ready. I haven't even fired 'em up yet. I've made decent progress on the cabs, but as far as them producing sound, well that's still a ways off. I'm going to keep plugging away.
    You have 2.5 weeks- get cracking!!!

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

OK, I am going to stop lurking and actually get to hear all the great designs I only listen to on Tech Talk. I will be attending as a listening guest, no speakers I would want to show and tell in public. I do have a question about the swap table. How big will it be? I have a pair of Cerwin Vegas 10" 2-way and an Infinity Interlude 25C center channel plus a grab bag of cross-over components left over from some builds? Bring them in the white van? :o
      still lurking...

Comment

There's always a variety of "stuff" on the swap meet tables. I'd say bring whatever you're wanting to sell and if the price is right, somebody will likely snatch it up. I've seen people lower prices towards the end of the event to move inventory. It's an easy-going, casual affair. I'm already interested in your XO parts....I always scoop up used components and I end up using almost everything!!
        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

BUMP!!

Two weeks people!! If you're lurking and planning to attend, let me know so we can add you to the list. Got something for "show & tell" ?? Post it here so it can be added to the website!!

:D:D
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
            BUMP!!

Two weeks people!! If you're lurking and planning to attend, let me know so we can add you to the list. Got something for "show & tell" ?? Post it here so it can be added to the website!!

:D:D
            Ugh.....I have a big day ahead of me. Baffles to finish, crossovers to wire, (don't even think about voicing these any more - whatever PCD says is correct is the way it's gonna be), plus about another dozen little details to complete.

So what am I doing on the TTB?? As Junior said: 'Get Cracking!'

Comment

Hey Guys,

It looks like I can probably make it, with my better half along for the ride!

I'll only have room to fit one pair of speakers, and prefer to bring the Contrappeso's since they are the latest creations. I'll try and confirm in the next day or two. They've suffered a bit at the hands of my granddaughter (21 months old), who is living with us now, but still sound great, at least here at home.
              Dan N.

Comment

A question for you Chicago guys:

What do you use to record impressions and/or judge the different speakers? DIY NY is looking for a new form.

Thanks,
                Mike

Comment

Don't feel bad, Cheesehead! (Hmmm... Cheeze and Crackerz!!! :p)

I am hopefully finishing up my Trichotomys today, and they'll likely be naked as well for the most part.

A good long day at it will do...
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by mtmpenn View Post
                    A question for you Chicago guys:

What do you use to record impressions and/or judge the different speakers? DIY NY is looking for a new form.

Thanks,
                    Mike
                    This is maybe the third Chicago DIY, the first from Paul, and a lot of the guys like the Iowa forms. I imagine Paul may get an 'honorable mention list' going as he did before, but I think Iowa and Chicago are not looking to become a competition in every essence of the word.

I don't know who has a copy of those forms either, but that's where I'd start.

Later,
                    Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Will the CDP being used read FLAC? If not, what WAV specs should I set my file converter to?
                      Thanks,
                      Mike
                      "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                      Bismarck, North Dakota
                      My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
                      My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
                        Will the CDP being used read FLAC? If not, what WAV specs should I set my file converter to?
                        Thanks,
                        Mike
                        Normally if you burn in .wav, it's full-res, and there should not be a way to use a lesser bitrate. It should be 1400+kb/s.

Later,
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                          Normally if you burn in .wav, it's full-res, and there should not be a way to use a lesser bitrate. It should be 1400+kb/s.

Later,
                          Wolf
                          I use Switch Sound File Converter and it gives me many options when converting from FLAC to WAV. Other than bit rate, I can choose formay:
                          PCM Uncompressed, IMA ADPCM, CCITT ALaw, CCITT uLaw, GSM 6.10, Microsoft ADPCM, Microsoft Audio Codec.
                          Thanks,
                          Mike
                          Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

I just joined the forum and I will be attending. I live in Bloomingdale so its an easy trip for me.

Jeff G.

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
                              I use Switch Sound File Converter and it gives me many options when converting from FLAC to WAV. Other than bit rate, I can choose formay:
                              PCM Uncompressed, IMA ADPCM, CCITT ALaw, CCITT uLaw, GSM 6.10, Microsoft ADPCM, Microsoft Audio Codec.
                              Thanks,
                              Mike
                              Can you just burn a standard redbook audio CD?
                              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                                Can you just burn a standard redbook audio CD?
                                Paul,
                                I need to convert the FLAC to a WAV first.
                                Mike
                                Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X