X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcpahman77
    • Aug 2010

Re: Chicago DIY 2011

Originally posted by evilskillit
    Already have that on my "Piano" playlist. I lost a few of the songs as I forgot to save the playlist before my browser crashed the last time (gotta figure out what's going on with that). I'd also like to recommend Matchbox 20 "3 am" the Piano version, but highly suggest against playing it on Youtube as the quality (or lack thereof) nearly kills the track.

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by evilskillit
      that was nice. thanks.
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• ---k---
        • Oct 2007

Paul must be mad that he didn't win the lowest WAF with his duct tape speaker so he is denying us the winners of the honorable mention awards. ;)

Also, where are all the impressions promised? Am I missing something?
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
        CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

• bkeane1259
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ---k---
          Paul must be mad that he didn't win the lowest WAF with his duct tape speaker so he is denying us the winners of the honorable mention awards. ;)
          I was wondering about that myself..... What say you, Paul??
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
          [SIZE="1"]
          Speedster | [URL="http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=229236"]Sub Attach

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
            Obsessed & Proud of It
            • Oct 2005

OK, here's my thoughts on some of what I heard Saturday. I got there a little late and was preoccupied with getting the tweeters installed into Ed's enclosures, so I missed getting a critical listen to a few of the early entries. As we were walking in, Wolf's Sophomores were playing, and my wife immediately commented how much she liked their look. They also sounded darn nice. Big sound from little enclosures.

The first one's I recall getting to actually sit and listen to were the Speedsters. Like most of what I heard that day, smooth transition between woofer and tweeter. Mids and highs were clean but the bass just wasn't as clean as the rest of the presentation.

I could easily see these in a small room, or as the top of a smaller 3-way.

The Ochocinco was a very pleasant surprise. Of all the truly budget systems, these impressed me. Nice balance again, but there was a lot of clarity to the bass and lower mids that the smaller systems just didn't quite reach. The NTN by comparison, while very similar didn't have the off axis character of the Ocho. The Ocho was voiced very nicely, and the NTN perhaps just a bit too hot on top.

Wolf's Destinations were quite unusual to look at. Very industrial quality to them. The Airborne woofer looked very nice, but the frame just didn't do it for me. Looks aside, they sounded good. The dual 8" passives seemed to augment the low end very well, but I thought they could have used a bit more damping in the lower mids . . . not enough stuffing maybe? I'm anxious to see Wolf's final vision for the enclosure.

PWR RYD came with the unfinished "Trials." After explaining the rummaged origin of the parts, the ancient Audio Concepts SV12 woofer and buyout mids, he started the music. Wow. Nicely done! Great integration of all the components. And as someone else mentioned already, they were just begging for all 1000W from those Emotiva monoblocks.

Scott's Vanadium entry was tops on my list to not miss. He used the same mid I have in a 3-way setup that is yet to be completed. His implementation in the shallow waveguide is almost a duplicate of what we have here. Those mids really delivered. Very clean, really detailed and smooth. Seamless blend between components. The only weak spot to me was the lower mids and bass, and like other entries, suffered from a bit of enclosurus incompletus. With a bit more bracing and judicious use of stuffing, the bass performance should tighten up, and make that system a knockout.

What can I say about Dan Neubecker's Contrapesso's? The very first DIY I attended back in Iowa in 2003 had an entry that looked like a plumbers nightmare, and pretty much sounded like one. But this?!!? Dan, you mad genius. What a contraption, and what a sound. By far your most non-speaker yet. I can only imagine what this would sound like with world class components instead of the buyouts. The sound was HUGE, very clean and quite uniform as I walked around for part of the track you played. Oh, and great music choice. You had me and the wife rolling with that Canexican song.

CJD's Ansonica was fabulous. The SB29 sounded great and makes me anxious to try it out for myself. Cabinetry was awesome, very inert, hardly a panel vibration during the track, and the bass performance that resulted was fantastic. Between the Trials, Contrapessos and Ansonica, I think the Ansonica was my favorite.

If I left anyone out, sorry, but I didn't get to sit and listen to everything like I wanted to. Got to hear most of it, but not always from the best of listening positions.

Thanks again Paul and Chris. Great event.
            Last edited by Pete Schumacher; 11-04-2011, 03:23 AM.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• Ron_E
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Oct 2009

Pete,

Any chance you could post your playlist or have you and I missed it?

Ron
              C-Note Iron Driver Build
              The Cherry π's

Comment

• bkeane1259
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ron_E
                Pete,

Ron
                Please.

I need to know the artist of "In the Nick of Time" .....I think that might have been the best speaker-auditioning song I ever heard.
                Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
                [SIZE="1"]
                Speedster | [URL="http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=229236"]Sub Attach

Comment

• Paul Carmody
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                  I'm building suspense ;)

Honestly, it's just been a really rough week at work. I will definitely have the results up this weekend.
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                  Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
                    Obsessed & Proud of It
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ron_E
                    Pete,

Ron
                    Originally posted by bkeane1259
                    Please.

I need to know the artist of "In the Nick of Time" .....I think that might have been the best speaker-auditioning song I ever heard.
                    I don't know who the lady singing "In the Nick of Time" is. But that is a nice track . . . Gotta ask DoubleTap to reveal that gem.

The "techno" was Echaskech's "Digital City".

Ella Fitzgerald singing "Good Morning Heartache"

Stephen Stills singing "Treetop Flyer"

Orchestral stuff was from the soundtrack to "Gladiator"

Tool's "Jambi"

Dire Straits "Why Worry"

"Mombasa" from soundtrack to Inception

Rachelle Ferrell "Sista"

Allison Krauss and choir singing "Down in the River" from "Oh Brother where art thou."
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• bkeane1259
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher ®
                      I don't know who the lady singing "In the Nick of Time" is. But that is a nice track . . . Gotta ask DoubleTap to reveal that gem.

Please.

Seriously... that was an awesome track. I'm dumbfounded that I'm the only one asking for this?? Like I said earlier, when you guys demo'd the Breeze, it was like I could reach out and touch the artist (in a way I have not heard before). Maybe it was our positioning?? However, at the time, my 17yr old was sitting right next to me and he said the same thing. He's got great ears....so I know it's not my old ears playing tricks on me.

At any rate, Pete, I'm positive my 17yr old wants a pair of the Breeze. If he only knew.......
                      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
                      [SIZE="1"]

Comment

• dlneubec
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher ®
                        Oh, and great music choice. You had me and the wife rolling with that Canexican song.
                        Hi Pete,

I was almost not going to play that song!:D I had two CD's with me, one with and one without. You never know who might be offended by something simply meant as some fun to break up the day. I did see a lot of smiles out there as Tommy the Canexican was playing.

I plan to try a higher end version of the Contrappeso's, but finding higher end drivers that will work in these conditions is difficult. The mids will have to fit inside 3.5" OD. 3.25" ID aluminum tubes. the current pvc tubes are 4.5" OD/4.25" ID and I want to get them smaller to allow more flexibility in the mid-tweet crossover point. The best looking alternative I've found so far is the Fountek FE85, which I mentioned in an earlier post. Aluminum cone, reasonably sensitive and pretty flat response, but hardly a state of the art component. It looks like its flange might just slide over the outside of the tubes.

Anyone have any other suggestions? It also has to work sealed with two drivers in about 1 liter of space and be able to cover down to around 200hz in groups of 4 (probably in a parallel/series arrangement).
                        Dan N.

Comment

• UGP
                          Midrange Member
                          • Mar 2010

I would also just like to say thanks to all who made this happen! Wolf was right about doing his happy dance;)
                          I'm not going to really comment on the sound of the speakers as it was hard for me to not hear the room effect on the sound, but... a couple of standouts for me were the bass and the depth of the soundstage on both Dan Neubecker's Contrappeso which was probably the smoothest from where I was sitting, and also CJD's Ansonica had a nice solid bass, the NTN's were great for the time and price put into them, of course the RAAL was amazing but couldn't help think that the rest of the speaker had a hard time keeping up, The finish on the "Wave guide" speaker was very cool and sounded good also, Marty's speakers where also impressive looking, and I'm sure he'll get the network figured out, the other thing I would look at is how are you transferring/copying your CD tracks Marty? it almost sounds like they were normalized/compressed when they were copied.

By the way do we have to wait till next summer till there's another Midwest event?
                          David

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
                            Obsessed & Proud of It
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by UGP
                            I would also just like to say thanks to all who made this happen! Wolf was right about doing his happy dance;)
                            I'm not going to really comment on the sound of the speakers as it was hard for me to not hear the room effect on the sound, but... a couple of standouts for me were the bass and the depth of the soundstage on both Dan Neubecker's Contrappeso which was probably the smoothest from where I was sitting, and also CJD's Ansonica had a nice solid bass, the NTN's were great for the time and price put into them, of course the RAAL was amazing but couldn't help think that the rest of the speaker had a hard time keeping up, The finish on the "Wave guide" speaker was very cool and sounded good also, Marty's speakers where also impressive looking, and I'm sure he'll get the network figured out, the other thing I would look at is how are you transferring/copying your CD tracks Marty? it almost sounds like they were normalized/compressed when they were copied.

By the way do we have to wait till next summer till there's another Midwest event?
                            If you're near St. Louis, DoubleTap hosts a get together every couple months. There should be another pretty soon featuring a pair of new 3-ways using an Audio Technology 8" woofer and 5" mid, and RAAL 70-20 on top. There's usually, a slew of cool front end gear brought by attendees, nice tube amps, solid state, DACs, all kinds of stuff. He's usually got 3 rooms set up, one on each floor, and speaker swaps are really simple.

Oh, and the thoughts on the woofer not keeping up with the RAAL in the Breeze, that's the main reason we're working on a three way using the Breeze components for the TM section, along with a pair of 8" woofers underneath. When they're in the smaller confines of a typical listening room, there's no problem keeping up with the tweeter. It's really easy to push such a small woofer beyond Xmax and lose some resolution and detail. But that little woofer has such a nice suspension, with a much larger Xmech that it handles overdrive with grace.

bkeane1259, I'll see if I can find out who that was for you. It came off a CD put together by Chris over at Balanced Power Technology for his RMAF room a few years back.

Comment

• bkeane1259
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by UGP
                              InDIYana 2012 should be in April. Wolf runs that one, and it will be bigger than Chicago.

Here are the pics from last year if you're curious.
                              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
                              [SIZE="1"]

Comment

• martyh
                                Seasoned Veteran
                                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by UGP

I'm working out those voicing issues already (but thanks for the cabinetry compliment!) As far as copying the tracks, I just learned to use Audacity, so good catch as I realized that I did it wrong. Had I used someone elses disk or subsequent tracks on my disk (as only the first was 'Audacitied') then things may have gone better.

Thanks to all for the input - they'll be better in a year!

Comment

Working...