X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Carmody
    started a topic Chicago DIY 2011

Chicago DIY 2011

Yes, it's for real. Mark your calendars!

Date: October 29, 2011
    Time: 9-5
    Place: Hyatt Regency Woodfield - Schaumburg http://woodfield.hyatt.com

Official Web Page:
    http://chicagodiy2011.x10.mx/

Please don't bomb my email address. If you're planning on attending, go ahead and post to this thread so we can create a head count. Oh, and feel free to post this to other message boards.

Some more info on the event...

Format
    I'd like to make this a "show and tell" event. I figure the usual 10ish minutes per speaker should be good. I will have a CD of 5-10 test tracks; not sure what those will be yet. You can opt to use some of the test tracks if you'd like, or bring your own.
    I know I'd talked about a "small speaker shootout" in the past. I still love this idea, but I'm a bit concerned about time for a "tourney" event. However I may make a sort of "silent ballot" for a small speaker event if enough people want to try it. ("small speaker" <= 5.5 Liters)
    I might also like to do an "honorable mention" ballot too, like I did in Iowa last year. Fun categories like, "Best WAF," "Worst WAF," "Best Woodworking," etc.

Playback Equipment
    cjd from HTGuide has volunteered to bring a nice array of gear.

Meeting Space
    This hotel has a few different ballrooms, some more extravagant than others. I opted for the one with the 9-foot ceilings, as opposed to the one with 15-foot ceilings, because most of us don't have ceilings that tall in our homes. The meeting room is located near the parking lot, but there is a caveat: it is down a flight of stairs. Yes, there is an elevator, and yes you can bring things on wheels.

Schaumburg Area
    Schaumburg is a sort of "meeting hub" in the northwest suburbs of Chicago--not as congested as downtown, and not as expensive as the O'Hare area. I thought it would make a great place for a DIY event because it is located directly off two major highways. It's roughly 15 or so miles from downtown Chicago. Close enough that one could go sightseeing in their free time, but far enough away that you won't have to battle city traffic. Schaumburg is also home to Woodfield Mall, which is an insane spread of shopping. (So your wife or family could tag along, and would have something to do while you geeked out on speakers all day)

Dining and Hotels
    You are by no means obligated to stay at the Hyatt Regency. There are a bevy of hotels to choose from in the area. There's also plenty of places to eat; pretty much any kind of food you can think of. The franchise restaurants are closer to the mall, where the more unique and authentic eateries may be a mile or so drive. I have nothing definite planned for lunch on the day of the event.

Door Prizes
    Like all the great events I've been to in the past, I plan to have door prizes pulled from a hat at the end of the event (winner needs to be present). I still need to contact some vendors, though.

Swap Meet
    Got drivers or parts gathering dust? Bring them in! We will set up a table at the back of the room for people to sell/trade their stuff.
    Last edited by Paul Carmody; 09-28-2011, 09:38 PM.

• cjd
    replied
    Re: Chicago DIY 2011

Finally got the crossover, etc. posted for the Pecorino, including a reduced BSC variant:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=39093

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Well, in the spirit of other tweakers, I went ahead and took some detailed plots of the RS28A version of the mini, and re-optimized a crossover for it.

After modeling the plots in PCD, I whipped up a crossover, and took a pair of sweeps, 1m in room, 12th octave smoothing, 0 and 45 degrees.

Not bad for a first attempt.

Leave a comment:

• martyh
    replied

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure there's only one Marty from Wisconsin.
    And Rightly So! :D

But alas, it was not I. Some transient imposter I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    I guess it must have been a different Marty from Wisconsin that was trying to understand a tube amplifier feedback circuit on diyaudio. Sorry.
    No, I'm pretty sure there's only one Marty from Wisconsin.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

I guess it must have been a different Marty from Wisconsin that was trying to understand a tube amplifier feedback circuit on diyaudio. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• martyh
    replied

Yes.

btw - what's up with the tube feedback questions ;)
    'Tube Feedback' question?

I don't understand...so what else is new.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

Yes.

btw - what's up with the tube feedback questions ;)

Leave a comment:

• martyh
    replied

I made some pretty major changes to my Trials' crossovers. Mainly moved the woofer to mid crossover point up. That fixed a resonance issue the mids were having. If I drag them out to the next DIY I think most of you would like the way they sound now.
    Craig,

Were you able to close that dip I thought I heard around 250hz? Otherwise I thought the were terrific.

M.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

I made some pretty major changes to my Trials' crossovers. Mainly moved the woofer to mid crossover point up. That fixed a resonance issue the mids were having. If I drag them out to the next DIY I think most of you would like the way they sound now.

Leave a comment:

• howard
    replied

Chris,
    Those are very attractive. I would like to hear them. Good work.

Howard

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

So your Enormities have gotten some love and attention then, eh? :D

All I have done with any of mine is to glue a mass-damper pad to the rear of the BG Neo3PDR's backcup in the Trichotomys, as well as finish them up with paint.

The ones that made a reappearance at CKY-DIY were well accepted.

It's getting too cold here....
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• martyh
    replied

Greetings all!

Curious to read about any and all updates on the designs presented at the Chicago DIY event a month back now.

I've made a number of mods to mine including redoing the entire crossover, reducing that forward feel they had, and modifying the box tuning. While they sound significantly more integrated I still hear a 'hole' in the 350-450 hz range...looks like I should get a mic on them and see if hearing is believing.

Let's hear the stories boys.

Marty

BTW, they're still nameless ;)

Leave a comment:

• ---k---
    replied

Only a week later, my ntns look a bit better.
    Those look great!

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Only a week later, my ntns look a bit better.
    Well I have to say, nobody knocks out a set of speakers as quickly and as nicely as you do.

Those are very Apple-esque as well.......very very nice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X