Twin Desktop Bass Towers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Desktop Bass Towers

After some fiddling around with Wolf's vented alignment for the Tang Band W3-1876S 3" subwoofer, I finally came up with this:

There will be two of them, only one will have the amp in it which will power the slave unit as well. I kind of like the idea of having the amp on the desktop where I can easily reach it to change settings or turn it off to keep things quiet, etc.

They will stand on 1" rubber feet with the port facing down. I'll radius the port exit slightly.

The box volume and port specs are basically what Wolf came up with in the Bass-Toaster thread, thank you Wolf! I changed the dimensions slightly, but that's all. My wife canceled my plans to build the Dumbbells mentioned in that thread, she didn't like the look at all.

I think I'll build these, hopefully soon. They should work decently as near-field desktop woofers. I'll probably finish with a stone-textured finish and some black satin on top.

Soon enough a small full-range unit may grace the top of these paired with a Lepai T-amp for full range 'Puter Tunes!

TomZ
    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Re: Twin Desktop Bass Towers

Love it, Tom. I'm already using Wolf's PC's for my full range computer speakers. This looks like a fun next step.
    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

I got a surge of energy today and decided to head to the Depot to pick up some materials. One sheet of 2x4 x 1/2" MDF did it with 1/4 sheet left over.

It's a tight fit in there. I'll have to squeeze the driver in as low as possible to avoid interactions with the vent and back of the driver.

Here's a pic of them curing with a little cast iron weight added in lieu of clamps:

Only five sides are glued up using 2" clear packing tape to provide some holding power. Surprisingly, if you pull it real tight, it has some elasticity to it and holds fairly tight. I used Titebond III glue for this part.

I have a lot of respect for those of you who try to do this kind of stuff while living in an apartment. It's not easy to do with few tools. I used by dad's table and radial arm saw to cut these pieces, but I really miss my own workshop in my basement.

Should have a bit more done in a day or two. I'd like to have the ports fitted and cut-outs completed by Monday's end.

I also made up a cut sheet for a 2' x 4' x 1/2" MDF handi-panel which I'll post up next in case anyone wants to try this.

TomZ
      Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video

Comment

Cut sheet for 2' x 4' x 1/2" sheet of MDF.

I cut my braces about 1.5" wide and will use probably one on the amp box and two on the slave box. I cut four, so I may end up using one on an angle to fend off high velocity air coming from the port at the back of the driver.

TomZ

Comment

Looking good. Let's us know how they sound. What speakers are you going to use with these? What finish?

Comment

Originally posted by domwilson View Post
            Looking good. Let's us know how they sound. What speakers are you going to use with these? What finish?
            Thanks, it's the Tang Band W3-1876S 3" Mini Subwoofer,

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-909

I picked up some textured finish paint which I'll apply after the cabinets have been smoothed and primed. Probably dark grey or black.

TomZ

Comment

Sorry. I meant what desktop speakers are you going to be using in addition to the subs? Are you building some to go with these?

Comment

That is just awesome. I love neat uses of cool drivers.

Comment

That's a pretty nice little design, there, so what's the BoM cost?

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                  return to the source
                  leviathan system thread
                  deadhorse thread
                  shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

That's just cool, no matter the cost!:D

Tang Band three inch subwoofer (x 2), $59.66
                    Dayton 25W subwoofer amp (x 2), $68.00
                    Seeing the expression on your wife’s face—as she shakes her head—for the duration of the build,

PRICELESS!!

Audiophiles, everyone you want to be!
                    Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

Comment

Not to bash on this project in any way, but how does the TB mini-sub compare to something like the Dayton ND90 or the Aura NS3?
                      Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Originally posted by RINNAV View Post
                        PRICELESS!!

he is only running one amp...but I know what you were going for!

Comment

Originally posted by domwilson View Post
                          Sorry. I meant what desktop speakers are you going to be using in addition to the subs? Are you building some to go with these?
                          Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderinterpretated your meaning.
                          For now I'm just going to use the JBL computer speakers that came with my computer. 2" paper full-range as most el-cheapo computer speakers are. They sound decent enough for me for now, but I will do something in the future probably once I think something up.

Originally posted by RINNAV View Post
                          PRICELESS!!

That's funny! Like CLHocutt said I'm only using one amp, 25 watts is enough to probably destroy two of these! I will run the two drivers in series so as to present a roughly 8 ohm load to the amp. I did a few experiments with this setup in free air and I had to keep the volume down to prevent overexcursion.

B.O.M. so far:

Tang Band W3-1876S 3" Mini Subwoofer.....2@ $29.83........$59.66
                          Dayton SA25.............................................. ..............1@ $34.00
                          MDF handi-panel 2'x4'x1/2"..........................................1@ $9.22
                          1-1/4" PVC Elbow........................................2@ $.98..........$1.96
                          1-1/4" PVC Pipe, 2'................................................ ......1@ $2.34
                          #4 x 5/8" Pan Head Phillips Screws (to mount drivers)......1@ $1.18
                          TOTAL............................................. .............................$108.36

Glue, PL adhesive, paint, etc. to taste. I also had some left-over rubber feet from a previous project that I will use to raise the cabinet up 1" Those could be made from any scrap of wood, or even a few cool looking cabinet drawer pulls to fancy it up a bit.

Just using one driver would help the bottom line a bit, and most folks will probably already have the needed MDF, screws, even pvc minus the elbows which will bring the cost down further.

Check out Wolf's post on the bass toaster here:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...t=bass+toaster

to see where I stole the idea from!

TomZ

Comment

Got a few things marked out today.

I glued in the middle brace 1 1/2" and 1/2" thick. The brace that is on an angle is really there to deflect the volume of air vibrating in the port so it doesn't interfere with the rear of the driver. It's a tight fit in here, especially for this box since it also houses the amp.

I didn't glue in the angled brace since there would be interference when I cut out the hole for the driver. The old me wouldn't have noticed that until I heard a weird clacking noise coming from the inside of the speaker as I was cutting it with a jig-saw. I guess I'm getting better at figuring this stuff out!

Also noticed that the inner diameter of the PVC tubing is actually 3/16ths more than 1 1/4" So I used the bottom panel of the box to extend the port an additional 1/2", hopefully this works out okay. I measured port length as the line that is exactly in the middle of the port including the bend. The close proximity of the bottom of the cabinet to the desktop will also "trap" some air with has weight and will probably act as somewhat an extension of the port, at least I envision it that way. We shall see.

The slave box has the brace more in the middle of the box than the pic above. I'm not too worried about resonances with these though, the span is very small, and after all -- the cone on these drivers is only 2" in diameter.

I'll have all the cut-outs done and the box should be sealed up by tomorrow for some preliminary testing Lord willing. I'm going to use some of the PL construction adhesive to mount the port to the bottom of the box, glue it to the side, and also attach the last side panel. Sadly, I need the gap-filling attribute of the PL adhesive in the case of these boxes as my dad's table saw leaves a little to be desired.

For the life of me I couldn't get it squared up. I put the square on the left side of the blade and adjusted the angle until it was square, but it didn't look quite right. So I put the square on the other side and sure enough it was off, so I corrected that and the other side was still off, so I just eyeballed it until it looked okay. I did fine with that, but the fence was just impossible to get square to the blade. I'm glad to have it despite all of my griping.

Thanks again Mr. Wolf for coming up with this concept, I'm having fun with it.

TomZ

Comment

Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
                              Not to bash on this project in any way, but how does the TB mini-sub compare to something like the Dayton ND90 or the Aura NS3?
                              I get "Maximum SPL" (from WinISD Pro at F3) of 85dB in the low 40's for this W3.
                              93dB in the mid 40's for the ND90-8, and 96dB in the low 40's for the ND105-4.

BUT . . . I'm limiting the W3 to a stroke of +/-4mm, and the ND drivers to +/-6mm, AND, the ND105 is modeled in 0.28 cf, the ND90 in 0.17 cf, and the W3 in approx. an amazing 0.06 cf (an alignment that I like, but that requires a LOT longer port - a PR would solve that).

In THIS box (about 0.15 cf) and tuning, there's a +3dB peak near 40 Hz, but crossing with a plate amp down fairly low, this peak is a bonus, and shows the W3 approaching within a dB or two of the ND90 in a similar sized box.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X