Presenting the Aurbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presenting the Aurbox

Ok, so I just tried to post up this thread a minute ago and it had an error so I lost all I wrote. Now that Im tired of typing, Ill give the short version...

This is a design that was inspired by Don's Aurbacs. (Ok well its basically the same thing :rolleyes: ) OD 18"X12"X12" using 1/2" ply. Port dia 2", 5" deep. Lined with 1.5" foam fatress topper. Estimated F3 in the upper 40's. Powered by the ever popular dayton t-amp.

Without having any woodworking experience, I think I didnt do too bad. Granted I dont have a router to get the nice flush mount drivers, or fancy roundovers. I do have some electronics degree, and Im currently studying for a bachelors degree. With that being said, Im pretty proud on how the crossovers came out.

I must say, I am completely impressed in the sound quality and output that this thing has. No distortion when played wide open that I can tell. The only issue I have is that I find it hard to turn the damn thing off!

Big thanks to Don putting up with alot of my PM's. Hope you dont mind that I altered the name.

Re: Presenting the Aurbox

Comment

I see you got a little funky with that right tweeter hole? :p

Looks awesome. I would not mind having one of those, believe me. It looks incredible. I'll bet it sounds awesome too. Very nicely done. I absolutely love the paint job. Its given me some inspiration on how to paint my next speakers. What finish did you use? That looks like wrinkle paint...
      Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
        I see you got a little funky with that right tweeter hole? :p

Looks awesome. I would not mind having one of those, believe me. It looks incredible. I'll bet it sounds awesome too. Very nicely done. I absolutely love the paint job. Its given me some inspiration on how to paint my next speakers. What finish did you use? That looks like wrinkle paint...
        Thanks! Um yea so I wasnt paying attention when i was the jigsaw. Luckily, it wasnt too bad and i still have a good seal. The paint is actually a spray stone texture. Then i rolled on the two grays, which i actually mixed from a white primer and black interior paint. And then outlined them with blue i mixed up in acrylic paint. The paint kinda filled in some of the stone texture and left it semi rough, semi smooth finish. Hard to explain but i like how it came out. I just had to come up with something to breakup the boxy look of it

Comment

thats a nice first buils. your crossovers look just fine. be sure to let the resistors have a little air.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Looks great! Although your dog doesn't seem too impressed :o

Great job on your first build; I like the finish, and with racing stripes to boot.

Comment

Very cool! Nice going

Comment

Are there any changes from the Aurbacs other than just combining them into one box?

I love the creativity of the people on this site. That paint scheme is perfect for the design.

Comment

Great build!
                  I love the paint scheme - funky urban chic.
                  Great wiring and crossover work - the only "nit" I can
                  see is that you might want to tie-wrap that big coil down
                  to the board. It might break free during a wild party.:D

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Looks like great party speakers. Any words on the dayton t amp, is it powerful enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
                      Are there any changes from the Aurbacs other than just combining them into one box?

I love the creativity of the people on this site. That paint scheme is perfect for the design.
                      our dimensions are a little different the original bookshelf version is "Outside box dimensions are 16H x 11.5D x 9.5W, yielding a .84 ft ^3 inside volume" quoted from the original thread.

Originally posted by mriversinco View Post
                      Looks like great party speakers. Any words on the dayton t amp, is it powerful enough?
                      that t-amp is plenty for this project. and i mean plenty! even outdoors, its enough.

Comment

That turned out nice. Looks like it was a fun project.
                        Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X