• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3" Mid Opinions - Car Application

Hi everyone.

Looking for input on these two mids:

Tang Band W3-315E
    Dayton Audio RS100-8

It will be run as the midrange in a 3 way so large xmax isn't terribly important.. sensitivity, I can live with lower sens. with other tradeoffs.

Midbass are Dayton Audio RS225-8 and tweeters are Vifa NE19VTS-4.

It is an active setup using Alpine PXA-H701 as processor so there is the ability to tweak. I'm just looking for opinions on these drivers, and I may just get one set of each since they have nearly identical physical dimensions (1/32" smaller outer diameter for the RS100)

Re: 3" Mid Opinions - Car Application

The W3-315E has a nice dip around 4K, and a rising peak around 3.5 at the summit. It's not easy to use it very high. It has a warm midbass, and is meant for vented or sealed enclosures, not IB-doors. Xover about 150Hz HighPass, and it'll not have trouble.

The RS100 can be used to approximately 4.5kHz.

Both of these require notching circuits to kill the resonances they have, and passive is an easier method for that after the active xover slopes.

And- the tweeter will xover low enough for either unit.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

How about fr88ex? I recently installed them as a mid in my car but have not had time to get it tuned fully. Happy with it so far although looks like they have also had a huge price jump as they were like $23 each when I bought them. Just throwing another option out there.

Comment

FR88EX also gets a vote from me. I've used it in my own car, and it was much better sounding that then 3 inch tang band bamboo that it replaced.

If I had to pick something now, I may lean towards Aurasound's NS3s, as they are very nice. They come in a 4 ohm version, and are very cheap to pick up. The top end isn't as nice as the FR88EX, but that's why you have a tweeter. They also get really loud, but are not very efficient. Car amps have a ton of power anyways, so I think you'd be fine there.

Comment

The mid will be used in the A pillar in a sealed pod of size yet to be determined. Crossover around 200-300hz, undecided.

I'm shying away from the FR88ex because of its sensitivity and maybe it won't fit that well with my other drivers so I'm probably going to get both pairs of these to try. I think the first test will be with the RS100s.

I also want to avoid Neo because I'm afraid of the magnets getting very warm in car and lose some magnetization. Ferrite magnets are less susceptible to this IIRC.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by its_bacon12 View Post
            I also want to avoid Neo because I'm afraid of the magnets getting very warm in car and lose some magnetization. Ferrite magnets are less susceptible to this IIRC.
            If it makes you feel any better, I run a neo sub without issue in my current car, and ran a pair of hertz neo 6.5's in my doors for a few years without issue.

Comment

Just throwing in another option for consideration. I`ve used them and now I run the 4 inch versions in my kick. Both with fantastic results.

http://www.faitalpro.com/products/sc...p?id=401000100

pretty loud off minimal power.

Comment

Have you seen the scan discovery 10f? I think its advertised as a 4" but its more of a 3" in size. Very linear. I want to say i crossed mine around 3 or 400 to 3 or 4khz.

Comment

I did but $200 for a pair I'd like to explore other options first

Comment

I think you need to be looking at neo motored speakers just for the space savings a lone. The RS100 isn't a spring chicken on the back side.

And if the low efficiency of the Aura 3s scares you, well, it's about where everything else is at.

If you wanted efficiency, something easy to work with, and not too expensive, I would look at the Faital 3s.

Or if you are open to a suggestion, do pairs of Aura Whispers. I have pairs of Whispers in my car and they jam. Sound great, are toy tiny, cheap, and I doubt you will blow them up. Linkwitz uses them for a reason. 2 2s have about the same Sd as a 3. You will need to crossover below about 4k to prevent and comb filtering. The enclosures are TINY as well. I have taken mine down to 300 hz and whailed on them.

Just to show you what you are dealing with sizewise, I will attach a couple pictures. Each picture has the FR88, RS100, SB4, Whispers, and a DQ25 tweeter.
                    Attached Files

Comment

And here is what the Whispers look like installed...

They are behind the factory pillar. I pulled the fabric back, cut the plastic, bent perforated metal to the shape of the pillar, pulled the fabric back over, and glued the fabric back...they are totally stealth, which you will NOT get with those other 3s on your pillars. That and width will be horrible with them, and your pillars will have to be huge.
                      Attached Files

Comment

You have piqued my interest. I've been 'researching' speakers to replace the monsoon speakers in my GTI. I love the 2 2' mids in the A-pillar but I'm concerned about how, if at all, it works with cars with side curtain airbags. I've got 6-1/2" speakers in the doors and I think 3/4" in the panel where the mirror bolts to the door. Same configuration in the rear. There are certainly mid-basses and tweeters that will play well together but from what I can gather it would be cheaper to run a 3-way system. For kicks let's address just the front sound stage. Where the heck do I put the mids?

Comment

I have a decent amount of space to work with because my car is a 2008 Honda Fit where the A pillar is a nice piece of real estate. I will be glassing some pods on the a pillar. Here is an illustration of what it looks like:

This guy used Dynaudio X22 center channel mids which have OD of just under 5". This makes me want to try my W4-1337s in the pods. Anyway, I think a 3" would be easier to work with there. I'm starting to lean toward the Faitial mid but the RS100 is so shmexy

Anyway, the less space required, the better. W4 needs ~4 liters sealed to get down to 150hz which I'd use them as low as possible.

Comment

What about the W3-1053SC's? They have similar specs to the other TB and they have neo all for $9 less. I think the smaller size would make them a lot easier to work with. I would guess they could and a bit more power with an xover and good enclosure. I reccomend these because of their amazing voice reproduction. The things really sing. I know that characteristic would change due to the completely different install and application. However, I think they are worth a serious look because of the cost and space savings.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-880

Comment

You mean it WAS a DQ25. About half of it is there now.... :eek:
                              Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X