Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, Good News

Hi Guys,

For those who remember, I checked out around April, I think, due to nasopharyngeal cancer(I have chemo brain these days!)

Underwent 33 radiation treatments and three rounds of chemotherapy and my repeat PET scan, 2 weeks ago, was normal. It showed no trace of the golf ball sized tumor behind my nose or the two baby ones it had spawned in my neck.

The treatments were brutal and I have never suffered so much in my life with flesh being burned on my neck and in my throat and throwing up several times a day during the last round of chemo for about 2 weeks.

I had to relearn how to swallow and eat again, and am now eating a normal diet again, although, things don't taste quite the way they used to. My taste has been altered, although still returning. I am also working again, on my fifth week of work and it's going well.

I was so looking forward to restarting building loudspeakers, or at least playing at it again, but I'm not sure now because I lost hearing in both ears dues to the chemo drug Cisplatin. My hearing drops on both sides starting at about 6,000 Hz (there is a rather steep drop, but not enough for hearing aides). I can still listen to music, bass to mids are fine, but the highs, when volume is turned up become a little tinny!

Just wanted to let you know that I am alive. My test results are the closest one can come to for a cure for now (although, we are called survivors, never cured!)

Thanks for all the good thoughts and energy that was sent my way. I used it all up!

One good thing, I lost 30 pounds. Now I can go out and buy all those designer woodworking clothes I've always wanted.

If anyone is interested I have all the components: drivers and electonics for Dan's BaSSlines. I would part with them for a decent discount. Let me know if interested.

Thanks again,

Darren

Re: OT, Good News

Darren, congratulations for making it through. I watched my father in law go through lung cancer and have a lung removed. Even though that was was pretty bad, I'm fairly certain that wasn't even as bad as what you went through. Its good to have you back.

Is your hearing loss permanent, or is it something that will come back slowly like your tastes?
    Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
      Is your hearing loss permanent, or is it something that will come back slowly like your tastes?
      Unfortunately, the hearing loss is permanent. They tell me it was damage to the hair cells around the cochlear. They are doing some research on it. Birds are able to regenerate the hair cells, but we can't.

I figure one can walk away bitter for the deficits, but I don't see the use of being angry about the losses. I get frustrated, but everything is ultimately a gift, and I got the big one back...I am grateful.

Darren

Comment

Glad to hear it, Darren! You're through for now, so that must be a very happy feeling.

Hope to see you at the Chicago event in 1.5 months....and then at InDIYana.

Take care,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

way to kick but darren!
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

As a fellow member of the Club Nobody Wants to Join, welcome back! Any day on this side of the grass is better than a century on the underside!

Glad you made it through to "nearly" normal. Anything that involves your head & neck is gruesome. (They radiated and hacked on my neck two years ago, I still have issues)

Just started my second round of chemo. (Nexavar, pills, not rat poison.) Hoping I'll get used to the side effects in a month or so when it finally cools down. Looking forward to the wood shop too.

Glad you're back! Nothing like garage therapy to make a man feel normal.:D
            Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
            "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
            Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Congrats on the test results Darren. Glad you made it through. I hope you never have to go through that again.

Comment

God bless you Darren ,

..... Having recently lost someone dear to that horrible disease , I can only say that it's a real paradigm changer as it makes you realize that everyday is a gift not a given !! ... You give us all hope !!

ďAudio is an hallucination where the sufferer believes that he or she hears music coming from a small wooden box." John Woram

Comment

Originally posted by dian1511 View Post
                  Unfortunately, the hearing loss is permanent. They tell me it was damage to the hair cells around the cochlear. They are doing some research on it. Birds are able to regenerate the hair cells, but we can't.

I figure one can walk away bitter for the deficits, but I don't see the use of being angry about the losses. I get frustrated, but everything is ultimately a gift, and I got the big one back...I am grateful.

Darren
                  I always wondered where one gets designer woodworking clothes?

Although I'm certainly no expert, my Dad said everything tasted metallic during his 1-1/2 yrs of weekly chemo for prostate cancer. Several months after the treatment was finished, he said his tatsebuds got back to normal.

Wishing you the best.

Chris

Comment

My friend Mike is going on 3 years with no signs of the same cancer returning. He suffered the hearing loss, but his sense of taste came back 100%. He also has regained most of his saliva producing capabilities.

Glad to hear the good news, and stay vigilant.
                    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Chicago. That sounds like fun. I hope I can attend. But I'll only be able to hear up to 6,000Hz and then have to strain.

Regarding the metallic taste, it's because many of these chemo agents are metals. The Cisplatin they shot into me is made of platinum! Perhaps that's why the body does not quite like it.

Designer woodworking clothes...I live just up the road from an outlet mall. I swear I saw some at the Polo outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                        My friend Mike is going on 3 years with no signs of the same cancer returning. He suffered the hearing loss, but his sense of taste came back 100%. He also has regained most of his saliva producing capabilities.

Glad to hear the good news, and stay vigilant.
                        Johnny, I hope and pray I have a similar outcome to your friend Mike. That would be grand! The saliva and taste are also important. Ever try to eat bread without saliva? It turns back into flour! And when ketchup doesn't taste quite right, the burger just isn't quite the same.

Thanks for being such a good and supportive group.

Comment

Amen brother! I have to pass on chocolate, jerky, crackers and anything like that unless I have something to drink too. (No grazing at Costco) Your taste will probably return too. Seems funky to the rest of the world, but saliva production is a big step in getting back to normal.
                          Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                          "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                          Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Originally posted by dian1511 View Post
                            I was so looking forward to restarting building loudspeakers, or at least playing at it again, but I'm not sure now because I lost hearing in both ears dues to the chemo drug Cisplatin. My hearing drops on both sides starting at about 6,000 Hz (there is a rather steep drop, but not enough for hearing aides). I can still listen to music, bass to mids are fine, but the highs, when volume is turned up become a little tinny!
                            My father didn't go through what you did, but he lost most of his hearing in one ear years ago, possibly from using a single ear-piece headset during an air traffic control career. Despite his claims of not caring, I bought a decent pair of speakers (well before I built any) for him and my mother. He was amazed at what he could still perceive from a stereo system. He's in his 80's now and still uses them, especially when listening to TV broadcasts with music. Don't give up on it.

dlr
                            WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

MDF dust is bad

http://www.childrensfurniture.co.uk/mdf.html

I remember one time I spent too much time without a mask cutting and sanding MDF and I broke out in hives.... scary.

Comment

Working...
                              X