Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

How much poly-fill for sealed subwoofer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much poly-fill for sealed subwoofer?

Hey guys...

How much poly-fill should I put in a sealed sub box? Should I fill it loosely until it's full or pack it tight?

Thanks!
    Rob

Re: How much poly-fill for sealed subwoofer?

General rule of thumb is about one pound (16 oz.) of poly fiber fill per cubic foot.
    Craig

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by nonsuchpro View Post
        Hey guys...

How much poly-fill should I put in a sealed sub box?
        Enough to get the measured Q down to .8 or so, assuming that it models with a Q higher than that. Unless you have a WT3 to measure Q with the only way to know for sure is if someone else has built the same sub and done the measuring.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
          Enough to get the measured Q down to .8 or so, assuming that it models with a Q higher than that. Unless you have a WT3 to measure Q with the only way to know for sure is if someone else has built the same sub and done the measuring.
          I plan on buying WT3, I'm in the dark without it really.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
            General rule of thumb is about one pound (16 oz.) of poly fiber fill per cubic foot.
            That's my rule of thumb for FG. However, poly-fill has a much lower specific gravity (i.e. density). Thus it's much harder to cram in 1 lb of poly file into a 1 cu. ft. box than 1 lb of FG. I'd say about 0.8 lbs/cu ft. of poly-fill and be sure to use the crimped stuff; not the smooth, straight polyfill.

At 0.8 you should have a nicely filled box that's not packed tightly.
            Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post

At 0.8 you should have a nicely filled box that's not packed tightly.
              There's nothing wrong with having the box packed tightly if that's what's required to get the box Q to the desired figure. And that's why rules of thumb don't work where stuffing sealed cabs is concerned. Every driver/cab/damping material combination will have its own specific requirement for best results.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

My box is 1.27cft. It has one 10" driver and one makeshift 10" passive radiator. The amp is on one side, the radiator on the other and the back is solid. reason I put the amp on the side is so I can easily get to the controls since it is under my desk. If I have no fill it sounds boxy, if I pack it tight the clarity is great but lacks in sub 40hz. So I just a loose pack somewhere in the middle. not sure how much was used.

Comment

This may be slightly off topic...Whenever I model anything on Unibox, the more fill applied, the earlier the roll off. It seems to hurt low end frequencies with more fill, on paper that is. Can anyone elaborate why?

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
                    This may be slightly off topic...Whenever I model anything on Unibox, the more fill applied, the earlier the roll off. It seems to hurt low end frequencies with more fill, on paper that is. Can anyone elaborate why?
                    my problem exactly... i would say it's because less air is moving around inside

Comment

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre...1110/page/1407
                      "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Thanks... im assuming that the "fake out" affects sub 50hz, boosting it while clearing up 100-250hz.

Comment

My box is 1.27cft. It has one 10" driver and one makeshift 10" passive radiator.
                          That's not a sealed alignment, so you would not stuff it anyway.
                          www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

I was always told that it "fools the woofer" to think its in a larger box. I kinda get the idea now. But why would it model differently?

Comment

Thanks... im assuming that the "fake out" affects sub 50hz, boosting it while clearing up 100-250hz.
                              The 1 - 1.5 lb guideline has been around for a while.
                              My primary goal for using "poly" has not been to drop Fs but primarily to attenuate the upper stuff ( like 100 - 250Hz ) where the absorption coefficient of that material becomes effective.
                              "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                              “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                              "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
                              X