Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know you've got it bad when......

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You know you've got it bad when......

    you go to harbor freight and have them go to the back room, because you want to buy clamps by the case. Six 24" bar clamps to a case and I bought two cases so I could finish clamping the baffles on my latest endevour.

  • #2
    Re: You know you've got it bad when......

    That's a good purchase. Give them some love (light oil) and consider judicious flattening of the clamp head surface with a file or grinder. There are variations there. They don't all come out of the same mold...
    Mongo only pawn in game of life
    ____
    Ed

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: You know you've got it bad when......

      Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
      you go to harbor freight and have them go to the back room, because you want to buy clamps by the case. Six 24" bar clamps to a case and I bought two cases so I could finish clamping the baffles on my latest endevour.
      The price is certainly very good - I've been meaning to make the trip out to my local HF for a long time.
      Last edited by donradick; 09-03-2011, 12:38 PM. Reason: poor typing skills

      I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

      High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

      Tangband W6-sub

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: You know you've got it bad when......

        I already have an extensive collection of the blue clamps. I pick up at least four every time I go there, which has been nearly weekly for a while now. The 6", 12" and 18" ones weren't long enough and I didn't have enough 24" and 36" clamps to get all the way around the baffle.

        Ed, I will plan on looking into filing them in the future. I have noticed the fixed end doesn't always sit particularly flat, but so far that hasn't been a problem.

        These realy are a bargain and expect that as long as they are properly cared for, they will last at least the remainder of my lifetime.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: You know you've got it bad when......

          Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
          I already have an extensive collection of the blue clamps. I pick up at least four every time I go there, which has been nearly weekly for a while now. The 6", 12" and 18" ones weren't long enough and I didn't have enough 24" and 36" clamps to get all the way around the baffle.
          ...
          I am the opposite: I have been building bookshelf speakers with 24" and 36" clamps. They look like a porcupine during the glue up.

          So last weekend I picked up 2 cases of 12" clamps at Harbor freight for $1.99 ea.:D

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: You know you've got it bad when......

            They look like a porcupine during the glue up.
            That's what I'm going for. A clamp every six or so on larger projects and closer on smaller enclosures.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: You know you've got it bad when......

              I made up some clamping fixtures a number of year ago out of leftover 3/4" plywood which allows me to apply pretty uniform pressure over a longish length with fewer clamps.
              Paul
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: You know you've got it bad when......

                I like those. Did you build any arch into them so they apply pressure from the middle out?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: You know you've got it bad when......

                  Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                  I made up some clamping fixtures a number of year ago out of leftover 3/4" plywood which allows me to apply pretty uniform pressure over a longish length with fewer clamps.
                  Paul
                  That's something like what I do also - mostly because I have a limited number of clamps (at present). It does seem to me that I can get much more pressure on the screw down clamps versus the squeeze grip clamps. has it been an issue for you?

                  I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                  High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                  Tangband W6-sub

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: You know you've got it bad when......

                    Nope, I didn't think of that at the time, just used up some leftover wood for a good purpose; however, I haven't particularly noticed that arching them would have been necessary.
                    Paul

                    Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
                    I like those. Did you build any arch into them so they apply pressure from the middle out?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: You know you've got it bad when......

                      I pretty much agree with you that more pressure can be applied with screw-down clamps than the squeeze-type, but I've just assumed it's because I'm simply not strong enough!:(
                      Paul

                      Originally posted by donradick View Post
                      That's something like what I do also - mostly because I have a limited number of clamps (at present). It does seem to me that I can get much more pressure on the screw down clamps versus the squeeze grip clamps. has it been an issue for you?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X