Can I upgrade my Minimus 7's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can I upgrade my Minimus 7's?

Someone please chime in here. I consider my self very new at this.

I really like the Metal enclosures. I also like big sound from a small package.

Here is what I did and it may be totally wrong but I think they sound great and will take quite a bit of power.

I used:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...12&FTR=nd105-4

ND105-4

and

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=275-030

ND20FA

The woofer will fit but you may have to trim the tabs a bit. The stock tweeter can be broke off the front and with a little file or sand paper you can remove enough material for the tweeter to front load through the hole. I used hot glue to hold it in.

The port is way too small for this woofer and it is VERY audible. I stuffed it with poly fill just to dampen the air flow.

Here is my xover. This is the first time I have ever posted something that I designed so feel free to pick it to pieces!

todd
    Attached Files
    Real amplifiers GLOW in the DARK!
    Nothing kicks A$$ like Glowing Glass!

Comment

I am sorry lotek. I see yours are the original design. Your cabs are not ported. This is a good thing! I have another set I built with the same design and they sound great to me as well.

todd
      Real amplifiers GLOW in the DARK!
      Nothing kicks A$$ like Glowing Glass!

Comment

I finally had the chance to install the Zilch crossover upgrade on my Minimus 7's and they sound pretty awesome!

I had a little trouble with the clearances since the 1mH inductor is so big, almost too big. I was able to move it up a little thanks to my trusty hot-glue gun. My original x-overs use a spool-type 0.4mH inductor and I couldn't use the same layout that was suggested. However, I was able to get it all in there.

Many thanks to all for the advice!

Comment

Glad you went that route. Zilch was a mastermind. I know exactly what you're talking about with that inductor. I found that riveting them in from the backside of the cabinet worked. Lots of glue works too of course. That XO mod really wakes those speakers up. Have fun!!
          Attached Files
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Working...
          X