10" vs 12"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10" vs 12"

Someone told me that 12's almost universally sound boomy compared to 10's, which sound tight, because they have a larger box.

Is that accurate?
    An apostrophe with an "s" does not mean plural.

Speaker's IS NOT PLURAL.

Re: 10" vs 12"

far too general a question to answer yes or no.

in a car
    in a home
    sealed
    ported. the drivers specs are all reasons a sub sounds boomy.

here are a pair of very good 12 inch subs with no boom.

they are nht1259's in sealed 3 cu ft boxes

dayton makes a very good 12 inch sub rss315hf

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-464
    Attached Files

Comment

sealed, in home.
      An apostrophe with an "s" does not mean plural.

Speaker's IS NOT PLURAL.

Comment

It is more about which driver you use and how you use it , a friend once told me they would never own a 15" sub because it would be to boomy!
        Obviously they have never experienced a Dayton RS390HF on a good amp!

Comment

There really is no such thing as "fast bass" and the sound of a well made sub will often have a lot more to do with the box its in and its environment than the size of the cone. I used to think when I was young and into car audio a pair of 8" subs would be way better than a 12 because the cones could move faster or something. Hehe. Anyways now I've got an 18 in my house and I'm pretty happy with it. It reproduces the double kick drum on the speed metal I listen to as well as I could ask any sub to.

Comment

I am running an '18' right now...

If anything it sounds dry, the opposite of boomy
            :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

As a rule, I prefer multiple smaller drivers. They don't 'move' faster, but they are more transient. Meaning, stereotypically, they will stop and start quicker between bass events. A larger diameter sub won't need to move as much to create the same output, and therefore may respond equally as quickly, but IMO the less moving mass per driver the better.

Keep in mind, this is all just in my opinion. I have not experienced any modern large home subs, just well outta my budget and the budget of my friends lol

Comment

Originally posted by icor1031 View Post
                Someone told me that 12's almost universally sound boomy compared to 10's, which sound tight, because they have a larger box.

Is that accurate?
                No
                "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Is that accurate?
                  Sounds like something a high schooler with two 10s in the trunk of his rusty '92 civic would say.

Comment

Originally posted by fusseli View Post
                    Sounds like something a high schooler with two 10s in the trunk of his rusty '92 civic would say.
                    Hey. It was a '93. And those two Alphasoniks rocked!!!

Comment

Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
                      There really is no such thing as "fast bass" and the sound of a well made sub will often have a lot more to do with the box its in and its environment than the size of the cone. I used to think when I was young and into car audio a pair of 8" subs would be way better than a 12 because the cones could move faster or something. Hehe. Anyways now I've got an 18 in my house and I'm pretty happy with it. It reproduces the double kick drum on the speed metal I listen to as well as I could ask any sub to.
                      Ha, that's what these guys I know said to me once, they're like we want 15's for pro sound subs because they're faster. I was like :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                        No
                        +1
                        The Hurricanes
                        The Baronettes
                        Conneccentric
                        UX3

Comment

Is that accurate?

No, that's ridiculous. I've heard brand-name 15" subwoofers that sounded like a-s-s. And I've built 10" subwoofers that completely embarrass larger store-bought offerings. I used this PE 15" sub driver:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-206

with the 240 watt amp in a 3.5 ft3 sealed enclosure (nicely braced) that sounded very tight and musical. If you are able to use, say, 2 10" subs placed effectively in the room, there'll be less room nodes to negatively affect the sound, and thus, less boom or tubbiness. The reason that person's 12" sub driver opinion was that it sounded boomy was either a bad design decision or it was a store-bought POS. Driver size has nothing to do with the SQ, unless you're talking pure SPL levels and sub-20Hz frequencies. It's all in the design and the proper implementation of the driver. My girlfriend had a store-bought 8" subwoofer that was hugely tubby and "one-note". Sometimes just a different placement in the room can alleviate that.

John A.
                          "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                          Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                          Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                          Pioneer TX-9500 II
                          Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                          Statement Monitors
                          Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                          Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                          Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Maybe part of that idea comes from the fact that people run 12's on too little power? I have built sub's for home and auto in sizes from 5" all the way up to 18". For the purposes of the posters question, I will say this much; a 10" is easier to get a "tight sound" out of as the box is usually smaller. Many people believe that a 12" or 15" won't sound as tight due to the fact that the boxes are often built without enough bracing or pushed with enough power.

I personally like to use 8" or 10" subs for my home theater...mostly because my kids are usually asleep when I watch a movie....Hahahahaha. Plus, my wife doesn't like to "feel" too much bass...it makes her nauseaous....sucks to be me, eh?

Regards,

WayneW

Comment

I think also that what type of box the sub in working in has something to do with the "boominess" of the bass. A ported box can sound slightly 'tubby' if not done correctly, and sealed boxes usually tend to have less of that tubby sound in my experience, that's why many prefer 'sealed' to 'ported' for bass duties.

Also, the quality of the amp has some effect on the sound, some amps tend to sound 'looser' where some sub amps have a more 'dampened' quality to them. Hard to describe, but if you hook several different amps to a bass driver, you can get a feel for what I'm talking about. Nowadays though, most plate amps do a fair job of handling bass duties.

And the difference between a 10" and 12" driver can be minimal depending on how big the surround is and how it's size is measured etc.. Some of the RS drivers have such huge flanges that they almost qualify for being one size smaller than advertised.

TomZ
                              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Working...
                              X