2006 GTI speaker install and placment help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 GTI speaker install and placment help

Short version is that a friend at work wants me to do an install on his GTI. I'm having a really hard time though with the stock speaker sizes and locations.
    Tweeters above the door, on the sail panels, OK Check
    3 or 4 in. midrange with a very shallow mounting depth, as it's only mounted to the plastic door piece. There isn't even a hole in the metal, only a bump for the factory magnet.
    And then an oversized 6.5 in mid in the lower rear of the door.
    It like the geniuses at VW said " how can we shove as many speakers as possible into this car so we can make not image well?! I know lets point a mid right at the driver's ****!
    He does not want to cut up the car sooooo
    I'm thinking about using the factory locations, with new speakers, and then using Alpine's PXE-H660, and enough amps, tri amp the doors, so i could time align all three drivers. Delay the mid and woofer.
    Thoughts?

Re: 2006 GTI speaker install and placment help

PM or better yet email Nik Brewer - a member here. He used to be real active here, but his car audio business took off. His specialty was stealth CNC installation items with many products for the GTI.
    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Ha that's funny i just noticed that the forum censored the word "b u t t"

Comment

i replied to your email, but to repeat

if you are willing to cut the metal, use 4" components, with something like the tang bang 8" shallow mount for the woofers, and have a processor where you can time delay
        Check out my website: www.uberstealthaudio.com.
        Now offering cnc cut baffles and other speaker cabinet parts

Comment

As a VW enthusiast, I gotta say, the three way setup VW used in the MKV's has got to be the worst setup I've ever seen.

Comment

Can't be any worse than the crap Bose setup in my '99 Audi. It's absolutely useless.
            "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
              Can't be any worse than the crap Bose setup in my '99 Audi. It's absolutely useless.
              Bose is generally impossible to replace with factory sized speakers. The MKV has normal speaker sizes, in all the wrong places. The woofer is in the bottom of the door, almost behind the driver, the mid is above and just forward of that, and the tweeter is in or near the mirror pod. So it's like a / from behind the driver to the top of the door. Terrible.

Comment

yes, i had actually replaced mune with a high dollar set of rainbows, but the imagine was so bad i decided to convert everything back to stock and not mess with that car. the MK6 gti is mush better ( 6.5" 2 ways)
                Check out my website: www.uberstealthaudio.com.
                Now offering cnc cut baffles and other speaker cabinet parts

Comment

An image taken from the intrawebz for reference. Note that the tweeter location is just out of the frame in the mirror pod.

The only thing I can think is go 2 way between the mid/tweeter and either forget about the woofer or use it for a subwoofer. Absolutely hateful setup.

Comment

Working...
                  X