Peerless 830500 in TL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peerless 830500 in TL?

I tried modeling the 830500 using MJK's Mathcad worksheets without much success.

Is this driver a no-go for that application?

Re: Peerless 830500 in TL?

I just took a gander at the T/S values for this woofer here at PE. This woofer has a really low Qts, 0.20. I've modeled I'm sure hundreds of TLs and I've never been able to consistently come up with good results with drivers' Qts going below 0.3. I'm pretty sure that's why you're not having much success. I prefer drivers with a Qts of 0.35 to 0.5, although it's not impossible to get results when Qts is a bit lower.
    Paul

Originally posted by johngalt47 View Post
    I tried modeling the 830500 using MJK's Mathcad worksheets without much success.

Is this driver a no-go for that application?

Comment

That is what I figured.

Offhand, do you have any driver recommendations for a TL sub? The Dayton Reference series seem like they might work.

Comment

Probably just about any of the RS or RSS woofers will work well in a sub TL. I've had good modeling results most recently for an RSS315HFA-8 and a few years ago for the RSS265HF-8. If you want to pick one or two woofers that you might be interested in, I can take a shot at modeling for you. For exploratory modeling we can use the T/S values published by PE but ultimately, it's obviously better to measure the actual driver. That said and to be completely honest, a TL will probably require a pretty large cabinet. If you want to see the tapered TL cabinet I recently designed for the RSS315 for another person on this forum, click on my User Name and send be a direct email. I will then reply to you with a drawing of the cabinet which featured an F3 of 19 Hz. If you know what woofer(s) you want me to do some modeling with, tell me those and give me an idea of cabinet size and shape you're after.
        Paul

Originally posted by johngalt47 View Post
        That is what I figured.

Offhand, do you have any driver recommendations for a TL sub? The Dayton Reference series seem like they might work.

Comment

Working...
        X