Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used wrong type of primer, how now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Used wrong type of primer, how now?

    So... i bought the wrong type of primer (shouldn't have trusted the guys at the store) and primed the front baffle with it. Apparently it is anti-corrosion. I tried to sand it but it is such a pain. I'm pretty sure the primer is completely dry, yet the texture is quite gummy

    I'm only spray painting the front baffles black. The original plan was to veneer the entire cab, but the local veneer suppliers only stock 2x8 veneers with nothing bigger so i won't be able to use one veneer piece to do the front + 2 sides, that's why i changed my mind on veneering the front.

    Right now i'm wondering if i can go out there and get some proper sandable primer and coat it over the existing primer layer, stack a few more coats and sand it down. Would i be able to get the surface flat n smooth that way?


  • #2
    Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

    yeah, i learned that the hard way too. how long did it set? if it only had a couple of days, give it a few more. you could opt for a coat of undercoating and paint. i have seen this done.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

    Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

    http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

      Recently happened to me also. I properly primered my baffles with Krylon rattle-can, then tried to top coat them with a brush on latex. That didn't go on very smooth at all, so I needed to sand it all off. What a mess - very gummy!
      Unless you want a heavy texture on your baffles like truck bed liner, you will need to sand it all off. Use 80-120 grit, and be prepared to use up a few sheets as they gum up.

      I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

      High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

      Tangband W6-sub

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

        a random orbit sander is only $20 at harbor freight. i have two of them.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

        Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

        http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

          No idea what you used, but you say it is still gummy. Perhaps it can be softened with mineral spirits or whatever the packaging says to thin with, and scraped off.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

            Originally posted by sorue View Post
            So... i bought the wrong type of primer (shouldn't have trusted the guys at the store) and primed the front baffle with it. Apparently it is anti-corrosion. I tried to sand it but it is such a pain. I'm pretty sure the primer is completely dry, yet the texture is quite gummy

            I'm only spray painting the front baffles black. The original plan was to veneer the entire cab, but the local veneer suppliers only stock 2x8 veneers with nothing bigger so i won't be able to use one veneer piece to do the front + 2 sides, that's why i changed my mind on veneering the front.

            Right now i'm wondering if i can go out there and get some proper sandable primer and coat it over the existing primer layer, stack a few more coats and sand it down. Would i be able to get the surface flat n smooth that way?

            Sorry for your troubles with the primer. No way you could have really known on that one.

            I've used this on a few projects before and it's really nice looking stuff:

            http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=31

            It looks like textured plastic when it's dry and you can add more texture by adding additional coats. It comes in colors, but you can paint with black spray paint after it dries for a totally black finish. As long as there are no holes or deep scratches in your baffle, it should look pretty decent. Just do a test to make sure it will not interact with the primer in a bad way.

            Here's what it can look like: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...highlight=tomz

            P.S. Leaving something like that in your car with the sun warming it up can help paint cure up pretty quickly I've found.

            Best of luck

            TomZ
            *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

            *Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

              +1 on Tom's suggestion for the Rustoleum Textured Mulicolored - that stuff rocks. Don't use it in very high humidity though

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

                I once tried latex paints on a cabinet in an attempt for a faux finish, and it was ugly. By design, latex stays flexible and sands poorly.

                I taped sheets of 60-grit sandpaper to a sheet of MDF with double-stick tape, and rubbed the cabinets back and forth across the surface. Coarse grits don't load as much as finer grits. Having the sandpaper taped to a flat surface maintained flatness of the cabinet sides.

                While you'll get a little exercise doing it, it didn't take too long to get back down to MDF.
                Bill Schneider
                -+-+-+-+-
                One word = one milli-picture

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

                  Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                  ....I've used this on a few projects before and it's really nice looking stuff:

                  http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=31
                  This looks like the same result i get from THIS:

                  I use it a lot on baffles and the prep is a lot less rigorous than a flat/semigloss finish.

                  Bob
                  Brines Acoustics Website

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

                    Bill,

                    Out of curiousity, if you were going for a faux finish, why sand? I've done a couple of the "texturey" faux and they turned out pretty well. I also haven't found a need to sand a latex color coat if the surface prep has been adequate.

                    Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
                    I once tried latex paints on a cabinet in an attempt for a faux finish, and it was ugly. By design, latex stays flexible and sands poorly.

                    I taped sheets of 60-grit sandpaper to a sheet of MDF with double-stick tape, and rubbed the cabinets back and forth across the surface. Coarse grits don't load as much as finer grits. Having the sandpaper taped to a flat surface maintained flatness of the cabinet sides.

                    While you'll get a little exercise doing it, it didn't take too long to get back down to MDF.
                    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                    OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                    Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                    Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                    Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                    LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

                      I was trying to get rid of the faux finish ;)

                      It was truly ugly, and I wanted to get back down to bare MDF for veneering instead.
                      Bill Schneider
                      -+-+-+-+-
                      One word = one milli-picture

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

                        If I were faced with this problem, I'd probably remove the paint. There are a couple of ways, and the first I'd try is using a heat gun. Quite often, the paint will soften and can then be scraped away. If that doesn't work, consider using a paint remover.

                        For the benefit of anyone else who might be reading this string, and thinking about their own project, I always test finishing materials on a scrap piece before applying whatever type of primer or paint I plan on using. Unless, of course, I've used the material before and know exactly what to expect.
                        Last edited by Soundslike; 10-24-2011, 10:03 PM.
                        Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                        Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                        Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                        Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                        Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                        NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

                          That, I understand. Been there! :D


                          Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
                          I was trying to get rid of the faux finish ;)

                          It was truly ugly, and I wanted to get back down to bare MDF for veneering instead.
                          I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                          OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                          Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                          Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                          Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                          LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

                            You need whatever chemical can remove that garbage and a sharp scraper or similar. When you have 95% of it off, use a sander and some rough grit. When that's done, throw that product in the trash so you don't make the same mistake twice. Like me, and most here, you became a sucker to B.S. marketing from my guess. Nothing angers me more. Write that product down so you never use it again.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X