X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReissM
    replied
    Re: What's wrong with this Picture?

Mid to tweeter x-over at 4.5KHz? That's about a 3 inch wavelength. Seems like it would have major "path length interference" issues as you moved to the sides. Every location that had a path length difference of 1.5 inches (relative to each of the four mids) would have destructive interference.

I guess I would need more info on why this geometry was chosen. Perhaps there was a reason... but with so many peaks and nulls due to the physical geometry of the four mids, I'm a little worried about this one.

The polar response would probably be extremely erratic instead of smooth and predictable. Certainly not even remotely close to the original recorded event.

Hmmm... has anyone run this geometry through CALSOD or a similar program?

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

My thoughts were on the odd mid/tweet arrangement and how might this sound 'like a very very good coaxial' ?.....which to my experiences to date doesn't yet exist.

Leave a comment:

• jcpahman77
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gregbegland
    replied

Originally posted by Jonathan Anspach View Post
    If I'm not mistaken that's a Legacy Whisper. The design priority is directionality to avoid room effects. Don't know how well it works, but as with all speakers you can find glowing reviews if you look hard enough. Whether they're credible is for you to decide.
    Close...Legacy Helix. Heard them several times and they sounded great with my own demo material. Very unusual design in many respects. Bill Dudleston, their designer made quite an impression on my several years ago at a RMAF. He really knows his stuff and takes great pride in his designs. Never seen measurements, but there have got to be some gremlins as far a lobing and diffraction is concerned, but I could not hear them. According to the website, the xover point btw mids and tweets is 4.5KHz.

http://www.legacyaudio.com/products/view/helix/

Greg

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan Anspach
    replied

If I'm not mistaken that's a Legacy Whisper. The design priority is directionality to avoid room effects. Don't know how well it works, but as with all speakers you can find glowing reviews if you look hard enough. Whether they're credible is for you to decide.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

Originally posted by mike price View Post
    ...Diffraction has got to be terrible though...
    My first impression as well; with cab edge round-over that is, for all practical purposes, cosmetic.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied

Originally posted by mike price View Post
    Depending on where they're crossing the mids , that configuration might not be that bad.
    +1.
    Looks like a pro audio speaker.
    None I'm familiar with. Maybe studio monitors, along the lines of Westlake or PMC.

Leave a comment:

• Face
    replied

Originally posted by fusseli View Post
    The PA woofer looks good bottom mounted... but it's still a PA woofer
    Many PA drivers are suitable for hifi.

Leave a comment:

• mike price
    replied

Depending on where they're crossing the mids , that configuration might not be that bad. Diffraction has got to be terrible though , and I wouldn't immediately knock the "PA driver" there is some really nice pro stuff out there , although this may not be it.

Leave a comment:

• XtremeRevolution
    replied

Looks like a pro audio speaker, in which case I can't really see much wrong with it.

Leave a comment:

• fusseli
    replied

Maybe also some extra ripples and bumps in the upper-FR due to the inset the mids and tweet are in? Guess it depends on if the Xover was desigend with this in mind, also the same with the 4-mid arrangement and tweeter cutoff.

The PA woofer looks good bottom mounted... but it's still a PA woofer

Leave a comment:

• its_bacon12
    replied

Mids paired above and below the tweeter? Interesting. I see horizontal issues if those mids run high enough

Leave a comment:

• bmaupin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mike price
    replied

So now you're going to leave us hanging? lol

Leave a comment:

• joeybutts
    replied

bwhahahaha. I hate when that happens..... Seriously.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X