KEF Blade, Engineering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KEF Blade, Engineering

After just browsing speaker sites (yes, I get that bored sometimes) I came across the KEF Blade. Which, while the promotional video wasn't all that impressive, it sure looks slick. I find myself wondering how much engineering actually went into the design, and what parts do what. Its a shame there isn't an easy way to get that kind of intel. since I'm certain the company would like to keep their research under wraps so to speak. Some eye-candy of the enclosure engineering:

The exterior:

After drooling over them a bit, I find the final question that rests in my brain: How much of the exterior is form vs. function? Was it a choice of appearance first or sound qualities first? Things I'd like to know.
    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Re: KEF Blade, Engineering

Well, all of the curved surfaces help to lessen enclosure vibrations, same with all the bracing in specific locations. Also, there looks like 2 other drivers on the back, but no picture of them.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Those additional drivers both appear to be ports.

http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/...lade/overview/

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Agreed on the ports....and BTW, they are taking pre-orders...LOL.

Only $30k....hurry!!

http://www.kefdirect.com/kef-blade.html
        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

That's crazy, they do look like speakers, don't they??? Or am I just seeing things?

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
          return to the source
          leviathan system thread
          deadhorse thread
          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

With those curves I would expect baffle diffraction to be almost non-existent. Nice.

I wonder where they x-over these drivers.

Is the tweeter co-axially mounted inside the midrange driver like some of the KEF speakers?
            ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
            Sapphos
            Cables (Post #54)
            Other speakers (Post #21)
            Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
            Boundary Augmentation
            Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Originally posted by ReissM View Post
              With those curves I would expect baffle diffraction to be almost non-existent. Nice.

I wonder where they x-over these drivers.

Is the tweeter co-axially mounted inside the midrange driver like some of the KEF speakers?
              http://www.kefdirect.com/kef-blade.html
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

I wonder if it would be worth considering a tribute or clone build with the Seas Prestige L12RE/XFC (H1602) 5" Alum/Fabric Coaxial or Seas Excel 5" Magnesium Cone Coax C16N001/F (E0051) for the MT section?

Comment

I was always inspired by their use of the dual-opposed woofers with a vented enclosure. I have never seen this used elsewhere (I have seen some guys do dual-opposed subs, but that's always a sealed enclosure).

So I did a little experiment, and came up with a dual-opposed vented sub, the Boxer. Turned out well.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=213731
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                  Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
                    I find myself wondering how much engineering actually went into the design, and what parts do what. Its a shame there isn't an easy way to get that kind of intel.

How much of the exterior is form vs. function? Was it a choice of appearance first or sound qualities first? Things I'd like to know.
                    As others have mentioned, the curves help to strengthen the enclosure and help smooth diffraction. Besides the curves I don't see anything special here.

If you can figure out what's going on with those port things and you can use Akabak it would be a simple (but lengthy) procedure to simulate in detail.
                    Don't even try
                    to sort out the lies
                    it's worse to try to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by diy speaker guy View Post
                      Besides the curves I don't see anything special here.
                      Besides the <insert any feature here> there is nothing special about any design.

I have not heard them, I like how they look and they appear to be well designed by a company that has a lengthy history and an impressive resume. I would say there is a strong chance there is something special to be found here beyond a cabinet out of the reach of 99% of us. Until I can hear them, I will probably not speculate too much on how they might sound. I do know that Kef has gotten the art of coincidental drivers down pat.
                      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Ok, so there are 2 things here that I have heard nothing but good about, 1 of which I hear conflicting reports.

The opposed drivers, they cancel energy inside the enclosure correct? Is this simply superior to only having drivers on 1 baffle? Also, they fire on the sides of this KEF, and I think I read the XO is at 350hz..... this does not encounter some odd anomolie of direction versus the mid-tweet on the front? I would almost assume this would only be cost-beneficial in a large room where reflections and modes would be a minimum....

The conflicting part I wonder about is the curved baffle. Yes it is great for lessening diffraction. But why is there always a mass agenda against rounded baffles? I am referring to the bass units, as I know the higher frequencies do not rely on baffle for projection.

I know at $30,000 the XO can spare no expense to compensate for what may be inherently deficient acoustically to achieve visual design goals.

In the end, does this speaker fall into the category of "because I can" not "because I should"???

Comment

Ok so I went to the KEF site, seems the word "apparent" seems to be very lofty and possibly deceiving?

Lemme back up a few years.... I read once, and many times since that the goal of any and all speaker designers was a single point source speaker. The only problem being that no technology exists even today that can accomplish this. The closest we can get is a PS series full ranger. These drivers notoriously lack impact that would deserve a $30k pricetag.
                          Now back to the KEF Blade.....which is an "apparent" point source. Is that a fancy description of a SBD? (silent but deadly--you know what). Does any known measurement tools decipher the accuracy of a point source- well I guess it must if we have been chasing it for years. Does this KEF actually deliver the holy grail, or do they have a great marketing team aimed at the wealthy non-knowing crowd.

****disclaimer---- I know the Blade will sound "better" than most anything I will ever create, so I am not discounting the technological advances in its design. I am however mad at myself for scrapping all of my early "fiberglass artwork" curved cabinets because I thought they would be acoustic junk due to the reasons mentioned in my last post.
                          Yeah, I just need about $5,000 to spend on drivers and XO parts to make all of my creativity into a reality. Not having that stuff on hand seriously limits my motivation.

Comment

I am totally with Johnny and ROTECH here.

I obviously have not heard the Blades. However, you have to believe there is "x" in materials & drivers and "x^2" in aesthetics. These things are pure eye candy.

However, I will always give HUGE props to KEF for their engineering and design with co-ax drivers. I think their Uni-Q's rock. IMHO.
                            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

I just want that high sensitivity 5" magnesium coaxial driver..
                              :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

Working...
                              X