No announcement yet.

My plans for the 6.5" buyout subwoofer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My plans for the 6.5" buyout subwoofer.

looks like fun john.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
      I love it!

I am tossing around sealed vs. vented. It seems sealed, two of them will dig to 50 in a small enclosure with an F10 around 30. Vented needs quite a bit larger enclosure, but they will dig to 25-ish. I think a PR is better than a 40" port, though you could name them "The compensations":p
      Also check out the alignment Brian Steele put up in the thread for this buyout driver. Looks nearly linear down to 30hz. Very impressive. I can see myself building and setting up several of these around a room for more even bass response in-room.
      Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Originally posted by arlis_1957@yahoo.com View Post
        looks like fun john.
        It will be, I think. The same day those buyout subs showed up a pair of the buyout TB full rangers showed up. The wife informed me she does not need a subwoofer at work, so now it looks like I may build a 2.1 system, possibly for the kids bedroom. I am sure her Guinea Pig will love it.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
          I love it!

I am tossing around sealed vs. vented. It seems sealed, two of them will dig to 50 in a small enclosure with an F10 around 30. Vented needs quite a bit larger enclosure, but they will dig to 25-ish. I think a PR is better than a 40" port, though you could name them "The compensations":p
          hey mike did you make the little brits? this sub of johnny r's would be nice with them BTW I am looking for the tang band's will pm you later today. phil

Comment

Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
            Well, technically, its not too much of a broken rule as it is an added variable. Carver's design still requires equalization to flatten out a high Qtc and a whole ton of power. 3000w peaks are some serious power for an 8" sub.
            The 11" cube houses a 10" sub, not an 8", and it's the HiVi SP10 driver, FWIW. There is a smaller 8" model, but it's not called the "Sunfire True Sub".

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Next time I order stuff from PE I'm going to order one and see what it can do with 2,100 watts and 2.6 ct foot ported to about 15hz.

Comment

If I mounted one of these on adjacent sides of a ~1.6-1.8 cu. ft. ported cube, I shouldn't figure it as a "push-pull" (EBC), correct?

Comment

Progress today:

Going to be a 2.1 for the kids bedroom. She can watch movies or listen to music on it. Depending on PR tuning and low pass crossover, F3 will be 35 - 40 Hz. The sats will be powered by the Lepai Tripath amp I bought her last year, the sub by the Dayton 25 watt plate.

No idea on what the Tang Band will be capable of yet.

No ideas on finish yet, the wife is trying to convince me to go with a purple stain.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                    If I mounted one of these on adjacent sides of a ~1.6-1.8 cu. ft. ported cube, I shouldn't figure it as a "push-pull" (EBC), correct?
                    Probably not. Measure to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                      Progress today:

Going to be a 2.1 for the kids bedroom. She can watch movies or listen to music on it. Depending on PR tuning and low pass crossover, F3 will be 35 - 40 Hz. The sats will be powered by the Lepai Tripath amp I bought her last year, the sub by the Dayton 25 watt plate.

No idea on what the Tang Band will be capable of yet.

No ideas on finish yet, the wife is trying to convince me to go with a purple stain.
                      What size is that subwoofer box - 1 cu.ft.? I'd be interested in finding out how that 6.5" driver performs in a box that size. The more I look at them, the more the driver specs are suggesting to me "small vented box, with a bit of active EQ".
                      Brian Steele
                      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Enclosure details: ~0.6 cubic feet. 82 grams added mass to the PR.

Simulated response curves below. 100 Hz 2nd order low pass applied.

Comment

After an hour of listening, my opinion is that these little drivers are capable of making a very nice subwoofer. In the alignment I settled for, the F3/6/10 is ~36, 28, 24Hz. They will probably not pressurize a room by any stretch of the imagination, but tucked behind a desk in a corner they should do just swell.

Approximately a 12" cube with the driver, PR and amp all mounted on center. 3/4" material.

The Tang Band full rangers are pretty nice, too. Currently I have them in a dinky little cube about 5.5"w x 7.5"h x 5"d, 3/4" material with a 3/8" roundover on the driver cutout. Tried with, and without a BSC filter. I will be going without the BSC filter. I do not know what their F3 is and I am not going to worry about it.

When they end up in the kids room, they will either be wall mounted or shelf mounted so there will be some boundary reinforcement. Otherwise, I think a 1mH coil and a 3-8 ohm resistor will work as a fine BSC filter.

Comment

Is that birch ply? It looks like it's better quality than the $40/sheet Birch ply I can get here... It's not fancy, it's just so damn expensive up here. $35.77 for a sheet of MDF.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                            return to the source
                            leviathan system thread
                            deadhorse thread
                            shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                              Is that birch ply? It looks like it's better quality than the $40/sheet Birch ply I can get here... It's not fancy, it's just so damn expensive up here. $35.77 for a sheet of MDF.
                              Nope, just some good old fashioned ABX plywood that Arlis gifted me because he is a hellava good guy. That and I cut him a good deal on an amp

Comment

The buyout Tang Band in my little cabinet with, and without full baffle step compensation.

Comment

Working...
                                X