Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York 2011 DIY Held in Brooklyn Navy Yard 50 + photos!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York 2011 DIY Held in Brooklyn Navy Yard 50 + photos!

Working on this thread. I am having a re-size issue please be patient. Fixed!
    Last edited by philiparcario; 11-09-2011, 09:58 PM.

Re: New York 2011 DIY Held in Brooklyn Navy Yard 50 + photos!

:D
    Attached Files
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

haha....
      Last edited by greywarden; 11-06-2011, 12:35 AM.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Thanks for the nice shot of me. As always an update on the lower new york skyline. the building with the 2 cranes is the new world trade center.
        Attached Files

Comment

shot of the gear used. please post as to what it was. I will add info later. All speakers were pink noise leveled to about 80db

a dac

an amp etc here is the info " face " gave on the gear

"Hey Phil,

The gear is a Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 amp, Wyred 4 Sound STP preamp, a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, and I'm unsure of the transport other than it being made by Audio Research."
          Attached Files
          Last edited by philiparcario; 11-06-2011, 06:18 PM. Reason: face gave gear info

Comment

first entry. Todd Drake's copy of overnight sensations. run about 190 price. sound level ranged 65 to 95 db very nice bass for a small speaker. todd made the mdf 3/4 inch not 1/2 inch I don't have a height photo but 8 or 9 inches tall. this speaker along with the second speaker had that buzz sound 60 to 70 seconds into the 7 min set same spot. no other speaker did this just the first two.

I have a design from 2010 oval shaped sometimes my speaker makes a close to this sound noise. My speakers use a 4 by 6 inch car oval cone. my guess is a certain note can excite small woofer into a buzz noise. all other parts of the 7 minute set were good. these are nice looking could be a nice 5.1 setup a desk speaker etc. would love a small tight sub.

the would love a small tight sub is going to be said for at least 7 of the 17 designs. many of them have good bass to 60-80 range.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by philiparcario; 11-06-2011, 06:39 PM. Reason: photos

Comment

I got the numbers crunched it took an hour+ and I'll need to clean the sheet up but I'll send an email out tomorrow with the excel sheet. The comments are a bit challenging but I'll see what I can do on that end as well. Three hours of sleep is catching up to me though so it's time to crash.

Take it easy
              Jay
              "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
              Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
              Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
              Levitation TM
              - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

second entry. baffle height 16 inches

these are the tiny tims john lin made them. good base and good imaging small cones do have limits, but these played up to about 96.5db from a low of 67db.

this speaker was the second one tested and had the same distortion in the right speaker almost like the surround had a tear sort of like blowing air on a piece of paper the first two speakers had this sound in the exact same spot of the 7 min sound track. I figured the track which was recorded by Mike z. (IIRC) in a church had a bad spot. the next 15 speakers did not make this noise. so I am not sure if a)loose connection tightened up or if the small cones could not handle a certain note/sound (maybe a violin bow noise) This is not to put this speaker or the first one down. Other listeners picked the sound up this will remain a mystery for now. This speaker set was good on all other songs. Plus the small size can win spousal approval this would pair very nicely with a small 8 inch sub. as a small room an office for instance.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by philiparcario; 11-06-2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

third entry

baffle 14 inches

roman designed these a walnut veneer my photos do not do this finish justice. the owner is seeing them up. these won the under 200 class for original design. In my mind and I believe in the voting. name is roman's walnuts. a little bigger cone dayton 5 inch and a seas tweeter . all that you need in a medium bookshelf. played good bass and nice tweeter sound you do not need a sub but if you have one you can cross lower. they would sound very nice with my avatar sub (scanspeak 23w) or a dayton 10 inch rss215 cross at 60hz the range of sound was 64 to 96.2 db
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by philiparcario; 11-06-2011, 06:46 PM.

Comment

fourth entry baffle 11.5 inches mike z's little brit's

for my money one of the most exciting speakers in the show why? under 26 bucks for the pair! were they great in sound no they were a B but they were 25 dollars no one else could compete at that price level. I know Johnny richards loves a nice low cost speaker he needs to hear these. 99 cent woofer 3 dollar tweet. daaaam wish that all speakers would scale to that price. but they don't I liked these mike! I have heard 200 best b u y sets sound no better!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by philiparcario; 11-06-2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

5th entry

baffle 13.5 inches this is zalph's commercial design done by mike mullen (can't read my notes so correct me if name is wrong)

just under 200 a nice design good sound imaged well . fit and finish was nice sound level was 66 to 96 db no distortion to speak of.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by philiparcario; 11-06-2011, 06:55 PM.

Comment

6th entry

11.5 inch baffle

these were Harvey lee's 1 cone dayton speakers he did a contour filter to smooth them out. My seat for listening and using the sound meter was the closest seat and gave me the point of a three sided 6 foot triangle. I sat on the floor and let the sound meter sit in front of me. I mention all this with Harvey's speakers because I had a long love affair with single cone full range speakers. I have this conclusing with all of them great speakers if you sit closeup with the center of the cone at ear level. I was the only person with this seat in the entire room and I found Harvey's speakers to be really good. Most listeners were taller then these speakers and not in the point of an equilateral triangle and the highs suffered. I asked about the listeners on these expecting this consensus. I actually liked these quite a bit but I did have the best possible seat.

I still have my single driver jordans in sealed .25 inch boxes and find them to sound really good if you have proper seating.

Harvey's speakers have high sensitivity 96 db or so. You could use them for nice computer speakers. with a small dayton amp like this

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-380
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by philiparcario; 11-06-2011, 02:41 PM. Reason: extra photo

Comment

seventh entry

baffle 14 inches

David Lepkofker did a modified kit from madisound he played with the cover the woofer was an aura had good bass. the woofer was worth using it had nice bass. under 200

63.8 to 98.5 sound levels
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by philiparcario; 11-06-2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

eighth entry

12 inch baffle
                            Attached Files

Comment

ninth entry this is my entry along with romans.

the roman-phils sea 6 inch woofer with a seas passive rad in the back and an eton tweeter. cost is about 400 drivers and crossover. crossed at 2k 2n order with a little bit of a tweeter padding.

baffle height 10 inch
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X