Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

WT3:Calibration problems? Change your...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WT3:Calibration problems? Change your...

..Alligator clips. My new unit had miserable clips with springs so wimpy they'd barely close the clip after a few uses.

Also, from what I could barely see in there, the solder job was also miserable. During the shorted calibration procedure, I kept getting the warning box - forget what it said. And 1 k ohm calibrations were bizarre.

So I cut the lead length to half the original (inductance) and properly soldered on some stout clips. This completely solved the calibration problems and must think it improved measurement accuracy.
    Dave

Re: WT3:Calibration problems? Change your...

Mine came through with a cold solder joint of the connection of one of the leads inside the unit. Before I fixed it the reading of lead impedance was a few hundred ohms.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thanks Bill,
      I'll check my internal connections as well.
      Dave

Comment

The manual warns of waiting for a little while when you first plug it in. I have found that no matter how long I wait, the first calibration always fails. The next one works like a charm.

Maybe there's some type of initialization or "initial conditions" involving the software's inner workings... which gets straightened out after the first pass??? Software programmers see this kind of thing all the time.

As for the poor workmanship issues, well that's poor Quality Control and should have never happened.

I do love this WT3. It was very tedious and time consuming doing this type of impedance sweep 15 years ago. Now it's about 2 seconds and very reliable.

I also love the capability to measure the T/S parameters. About 10 years ago, I tried working through all the various tests and measurements to derive the T/S parms the "old fashioned way". I spent the better part of a full day and ended up with results that I didn't have confidence in. This system makes it so simple and then I'm on to the next design step!!! Bravo.
        ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
        Sapphos
        Cables (Post #54)
        Other speakers (Post #21)
        Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
        Boundary Augmentation
        Dispersion/Interference

Comment

my shorted leads test always claims to be over 1ohm, will continue to use previous setting.
          thanks for the info.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

QC issues happen on million dollar+ Bugati's, and on $30 million dollar F-1 cars, and on military aircraft ain't nobody ever gonna know how much THEY cost! (I've fixed 'em!) For $3000 each for a WT-3, maybe we could resurrect Fairchild Instruments, but I doubt it.;)

Comment

I think the WT3 is great. A ton of power for the money. I have no other complaints.

ReissM: I've never had that 1st test failure problem.
              ----------------------

[Tentative thought, awaiting my mentors approval Edit - My mentor was unable to disprove my theory. Still, this does not mean it's necessarily correct. So I'm still open to obliteration of my theory.]

I've been doing some thinking and basic physics. It really looks like the driver should be tested when mounted in the same orientation it will be in when finally mounted in your enclosure.

For example: With the SS 18W8531g, I get almost double the Vas when mounted vertically vs. horizontally. ~50 liters, which agrees with Zaph and Scanspeak.

(I'm completely open to correction on the following physics.)

Vertical mount: a = F/M ....Horizontal: a = (F-mg)/m.

This is highly simplified, ignoring air load, suspension effects, etc.
              I've noticed other guys like me getting extremely low Vas numbers. Vertical mounting solved it.
              Dave
              Last edited by Interlochen2; 11-09-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X