Dayton 2 way passive in my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton 2 way passive in my car

I'm looking to do a 2 way passive in my car and keep getting different answers as to what drivers will work with the pre-assembled passives. I'm wanting to use the 4.5k xover point.

My issue is this.... most of the drivers I've looked at are way up on the impedance chart by then. (except for the dayton rs100-8) will this affect my xover point. I've been told the xovers are made to handle the normal impedance change in a driver but I mean going from 8 ohms to like 20 or 30 before my xover point will cause some issues right?

also, what drivers would you guys recommend to go in a Scion tC door as a midrange (300hz up to 4.5k preferably) on the Dayton passive? Dayton RS100-8 was my first choice but I really wanted to use atleast a 5.25inch driver. and the sens on the dayton is pretty low.

Re: Dayton 2 way passive in my car

Typically a Zobel filter is used to flatten rising impedance on a woofer, which would make it play much nicer with a textbook crossover.

Not really sure on what works best in the car environment though, so good luck. I'd imagine any of the reasonably price stuff (like any Daytons) should have the potential to outstrip most car audio coaxial junk you'd otherwise buy.

Comment

well i mean I'm pretty much between setting up my own passive (preferred) or running something like a boston acoustics sc60 or something like that. I'd really like to do my own passive. guess I'll have to do some zobel research.

Comment

did some research on em and doesnt seem difficult really but is gonna be added costs...again...but if it'll be worth it i'll do it

but are there any drivers that fit the bill without the zobel? preferably 5.25 or 6.5 (6.75)

Comment

zobels are a option, i got some on a pair of full range drivers withOUT a tweeter and they tend to make the FR work easier. Its like the speakers says to the amp. "Hey I like this load, it works so much easier and I dont have to work as hard, and the sound that the zobels give to my Audio Nirvana's is just like removing a layer to get to the warmth of the music.

It was worth the price in my mind. Boston Acoustic is nice, but pricey just like any other pair of component sets out there.

I always wanted to try something out like your doing.

If you want a 5.25" or 6" or 6.5" thats fine, your just going to have to experment with different drivers. The dayton xovers are really good for the money. Used them before and they sounded good to me, but I never used them in a car, but there nice for your app. Because of the impedence selection you can use.

Hang in there and dont loose sight of your project.

And when your testing, take notes, so you can write down what sounds good and what doesnt. It might take alittle testing and tuning before it shines.

Good Luck

Bart
          I love Diy audio, because its just me and my ideas and my shop. I can make and mold my ideas and put them to play, its an amazing thing to be able to do!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bart Oetken View Post
            zobels are a option, i got some on a pair of full range drivers withOUT a tweeter and they tend to make the FR work easier. Its like the speakers says to the amp. "Hey I like this load, it works so much easier and I dont have to work as hard, and the sound that the zobels give to my Audio Nirvana's is just like removing a layer to get to the warmth of the music.

It was worth the price in my mind. Boston Acoustic is nice, but pricey just like any other pair of component sets out there.

I always wanted to try something out like your doing.

If you want a 5.25" or 6" or 6.5" thats fine, your just going to have to experment with different drivers. The dayton xovers are really good for the money. Used them before and they sounded good to me, but I never used them in a car, but there nice for your app. Because of the impedence selection you can use.

Hang in there and dont loose sight of your project.

And when your testing, take notes, so you can write down what sounds good and what doesnt. It might take alittle testing and tuning before it shines.

Good Luck

Bart
            thanks man, I've had alot of people tell me to just forget and buy one already made from a car audio company but IMO thats a last resort. and I dont feel much accomplishment in that. I'm def gonna try and make this work. Seems like the Dayton RS100-8 will end up being my best bet. even with its low sens, I think I can make it work off axis even. do you happen to know to what extent, the dayton passive is "suited for normal impedance curves?" Especially, trying to cross as high as I am, seems I'm VERY limited. :(

Comment

Impedence curves? I dont know to be honest with you. But what I would do is find the closes xover that you think will work, or maybe get a couple crossovers and see what works the best. Then when you find what you want. Build a zobel filter and put one on the back of each speaker.

I use panasonic film caps, there a dark brown caps, there fairly cheap.

If you need help with the zobel, I know I could help you out.

Bart
              I love Diy audio, because its just me and my ideas and my shop. I can make and mold my ideas and put them to play, its an amazing thing to be able to do!!

Comment

Have you looked into an amplifier that has an onboard crossover?

Comment

Why cross so high?

How loud do you need to go? Road/Tire/Wind noise can be 70db or more.
                  That and sensitivity will determine how much amp you need.

Do you have to mount in the doors? Can you build an enclosure in the kick-panel? In the door? Will you be mounting the tweeter in the door just above the Woofer? Higher in the door? In the A-pillar? On the Dashboard?

Do you have a specific tweet in mind that requires that high of a cross-over?

Will you be Bi-amping?

Open back Mid-Woof? or Sealed-back?

Will the doors be damped?

Will you be using the stock HU, or an aftermarket unit?

Will you be using a separate amp ofr the Sub? Is there going to BE a sub?

More input please.....

Comment

Originally posted by princ3cmo View Post
                    thanks man, I've had alot of people tell me to just forget and buy one already made from a car audio company but IMO thats a last resort. and I dont feel much accomplishment in that. I'm def gonna try and make this work. Seems like the Dayton RS100-8 will end up being my best bet. even with its low sens, I think I can make it work off axis even. do you happen to know to what extent, the dayton passive is "suited for normal impedance curves?" Especially, trying to cross as high as I am, seems I'm VERY limited. :(
                    Why exactly are you trying to cross so high?

Consider that there may be a very good reason why a lot of people told you to forget it and get a premade kit. I'll be another one to add to that list. Unless you have some familiarity with crossover design, your results may not be what you expect.
                    Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

I'll be following this one. The component speakers (factory) in my car are getting a bit tired after 10 years and could stand to be replaced. Unfortunately in my case, unless I power them with me deck I'll be looking at buying an amp or amplifiers depending on how I go. My car has a factory amp for the main speakers but they use some crazy impedances like 3 ohms in front and 2 in the rear or some such thing.

What helps me when I'm looking at cost/return is to price out what I would do if money wasn't so much of a concern, then use that as a guideline for building what I'm hoping will be a reasonably priced alternative.

For example:
                      If money was not an issue, I'd grab 8 speakers, 4 woofers and 4 tweeters of decent quality, 8 channels of amplification, and a mini DSP 2x8 board.

I can do all of the above for ~$700. Now, that's going a bit crazy, but it gives me an upper limit.

Comment

^ a 4ohm-ish speaker system wouldn't bother the amp originally intended for 3 ohms one bit.

Comment

The other issue then is, no where in my searching the internet have I been able to find the crossover point of the factory amp. I will say from my ears it seems the tweeters are crossed too low, but it may just be too low for the tweeters that are in use.

I've searched every site I can think of for the specs on the factory monsoon amp in a VW and come up with almost nothing.

Comment

all you need is a band-limited white (pink) noise test disc and a reliable spectrum analyzer to figure that one out

Really though, I'm gonna take an educated guess that 99% of factory installed car tweeters cross up high and are probably cheap mylars or piezos and the like. Being so separated from the speakers tweeters in the dash and such aren't going to do much more besides provide some filler sparkle. I'd be surprised if a factory setup had the fronts bi-amped anyways, wouldn't be surprised if the woofer and tweet are in parallel with the woofer open-ended and a single low value cap on the tweet.

I'd probably recommend doing a legit TM setup with the tweeters mounted near as possible to the woofers, aimed as best as possible up at your ears.

Comment

All 8 speakers are wired back to the factory amp. I don't want to sidetrack from the OP too much though. Short term I'll likely buy some decent speakers from PE and simple 1st order crossovers and power them with my deck. That will likely be a suitable step up from stock so that I can save up for that 2x8 mini DSP and 8 channels of amplification. Can you see me drooling? I'm drooling lol

Comment

Working...
                              X