Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Not nearly enough biga$$ speakers on TT"

Thus spoke Johnnyrichards:
    Not nearly enough biga$$ speakers on TT.
    Not with Ed Froste on the mend, anyway. *sigh* :o

Johnny, you are a real inspiration, here.

I came back from last year's InDIYana with two flats of 3" ROWE woofers from Meniscus. Looks like they'll make it down to 200-300hz. I've toyed around with the idea of a line array, but thought "in the grand scheme of things, will I ever get around to it? Honestly?"

Maybe it needs to happen after all.

Can I spend less on lumber stock than on drivers?

Build the lines themselves as a triangular wedge, place a pair of those $5 10" directly behind. Anybody know of a seriously cheapass tweeter capable of handling about 2 octaves? Then again, looking at the posted response graphs of the ROWE, it may be possible to just shape the response (there's a gentle hump in response from 2k-10k).

I guess I need to read the Griffin paper again over lunch. :D
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dirk; 11-22-2011, 03:49 PM.
    nothing can stop me now

Re: "Not nearly enough biga$$ speakers on TT"

Looks shiny! I look forward to your results.

Comment

Hell yes.

And on an off-shoot, I just bought tickets to see The Crystal Method on the 2nd

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

In the future, I am not doing any serious projects using less than an 8" woofer in a 3-way configuration. I still have a small stockpile of 5-6" midwoofs and will probably crank out several traditional TM designs to gift to friends and relatives, but my own stuff will all be bigger. Bigger is better.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

that'swhatshesaid!

:D

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
          return to the source
          leviathan system thread
          deadhorse thread
          shockwave build thread

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
            In the future, I am not doing any serious projects using less than an 8" woofer in a 3-way configuration. I still have a small stockpile of 5-6" midwoofs and will probably crank out several traditional TM designs to gift to friends and relatives, but my own stuff will all be bigger. Bigger is better.
            Hrm. The 85 liter club? Three cubic feet or go home!

As to the lines, I'm trying to think of the most mechanically efficient way to mount a bazillion 3" drivers. I hate hole saws in the best of times. I hate the idea of 80 holes even more.
            nothing can stop me now

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
              And on an off-shoot, I just bought tickets to see The Crystal Method on the 2nd
              I'm not sure what that has to do with the subject at hand, but I'm not gonna knock your choice in music.
              nothing can stop me now

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
                I'm not sure what that has to do with the subject at hand, but I'm not gonna knock your choice in music.
                I'm excited becuase nobody ever has concerts here haha.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                return to the source
                leviathan system thread
                deadhorse thread
                shockwave build thread

Comment

Thus spoke Johnnyrichards:

Not with Ed Froste on the mend, anyway. *sigh* :o

Johnny, you are a real inspiration, here.

I came back from last year's InDIYana with two flats of 3" ROWE woofers from Meniscus. Looks like they'll make it down to 200-300hz. I've toyed around with the idea of a line array, but thought "in the grand scheme of things, will I ever get around to it? Honestly?"

Maybe it needs to happen after all.

Can I spend less on lumber stock than on drivers?
                  This probably isn't too relevant, but the "bulk deal of the day" at MCM is the 55-3870 for $12. They are nice 5" drivers (see the Zaph review) with a strong cast frame, so you could probably get by with even less lumber. Might be a low-cost answer for a large line array to complement those mids.

http://mcmelectronics.com/product/55-3870&scode=DD11W4
                  Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

I've been sitting on 120 of these 3" ROWEs waiting for someone to try something with them. I'll be following this.

Comment

Johnny what happened to you? I distinctly recall some time ago where you mentioned in some of your threads that you did not like large cabinets.

Anyway welcome to the BIB club!

I always look forward to your builds and your latest one (Big, very high sensitivity WTMW) is right up my alley.
                      Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by its_bacon12 View Post
                        I've been sitting on 120 of these 3" ROWEs waiting for someone to try something with them. I'll be following this.
                        I've got a pair of 7L monitors I'm feverishly working on to have done by Christmas (the integrated T-amp is making them a bit more intensive).

I think these will follow, especially if I can economize my labor and keep it cheap.
                        nothing can stop me now

Comment

Dirk,

Cool looking project! I've got a stash of those drivers as well and don't know when I will do something with them, I have several other ideas I'm wanting to explore first. When I do, however, I'm thinking of a similar triangle shape, only a bit larger with drivers on each side of the triangle, for an omni line array of sorts and then some big a## woofers below in a bass bin.;)

Maybe PE will make the tweeters that are to be included in their CBT array available at a reasonable price. That said, I didn't see any mention of the CBT in the new catalog.
                          Dan N.

Comment

Bigger Is Better.
                            yayas!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Hrm. The 85 liter club? Three cubic feet or go home!

As to the lines, I'm trying to think of the most mechanically efficient way to mount a bazillion 3" drivers. I hate hole saws in the best of times. I hate the idea of 80 holes even more.
                              A template that has a board to index your baffle along one edge and toggle clamps on the other, a new spiral upcut bit, a guide bushing, and a big honkin' router would make it easier....but 80 holes...holy carp! I would be looking to have something like that done on a CNC rig. If they make a mistake, they would get to cuss up a storm, kick something, and then do it all over agian, not you.
                              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Working...
                              X