Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try the Neo10 yet?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-715

Just curious as to how the actually perform. Mesurements suggest a great value midrange but........

Re: Anyone try the Neo10 yet?

I remember dthomas was working on a design from an earlier post. I look forward to it also.
    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Zaph measured it, and Greg Begland has used it.
      Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        Zaph measured it, and Greg Begland has used it.
        Later,
        Wolf
        I haven't used it, but I spent some time at CEDIA listening to a set that used it open baffle in the midrange and it was one of the best speakers I heard at the the entire show. They crossed it at 250Hz too.
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Was that the Philharmic's?

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
          return to the source
          leviathan system thread
          deadhorse thread
          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
            Those use the Neo8.
            Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
              No, it was a new finished speaker system from BG Radia.
              Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Humm...

Those with These and this.... Just sayin. :rolleyes:

Tune the woofer in a straightforward vented enclosure to simulate a sealed Q of about .75-.8 and you will get 90% of the bass in music with power and presence with enough speed to keep up with the "light" top end... All while keeping it somewhat affordable.

It's a very cool driver. I would imagine implementation is key. It likely outclasses most non-exotic type woofers.

Comment

Cerainly more efficient than most cone midranges (sans pro stuff) and distortion is for all intents and purposes non-existant. I'm thinking OB above an RSS315HF active. I'm wondering if the rising response can't be helped with a mild horn loading......hmmmmm.;)

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
                    Cerainly more efficient than most cone midranges (sans pro stuff) and distortion is for all intents and purposes non-existant. I'm thinking OB above an RSS315HF active. I'm wondering if the rising response can't be helped with a mild horn loading......hmmmmm.;)
                    The horn would have to be quite large to offer any benefit to 500Hz, double that for 250.

Looking at the horizontal off-axis, usage seems to be limited to around 2500Hz anyway.

But talk about clean from 300Hz on up.
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Using an active bottom end and either a planar or ribbon tweeter, we're talking the potential for a near linear load for an amplifier. That's what intrigues me the most about these. BG apparently uses a pair of these in an MTM configuration. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                        Those use the Neo8.
                        Later,
                        Wolf
                        Dennis Murphy IIRC has said that he experimented with both the Neo8 and Neo10 in that design, and in the given passband he was using them in they were indistinguishable and as resolving as any mid driver, so the choice was easy since the Neo8 costed less.

Of course i can see a Neo10 being used in a higher output or lower crossed design.
                        :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

Someone (might be me) has been experimenting with this in a dipole horn...

But it's so tempting to use elsewhere too. Probably will happen before the dipole experiment sees a room big enough to be sensibly completed.

C
                          diVine Audio

Comment

Wonder if someone will try a IRS Beta look-a-like with these and the other neo's

Comment

Originally posted by GranteedEV View Post
                              Dennis Murphy IIRC has said that he experimented with both the Neo8 and Neo10 in that design, and in the given passband he was using them in they were indistinguishable and as resolving as any mid driver, so the choice was easy since the Neo8 costed less.

Of course i can see a Neo10 being used in a higher output or lower crossed design.
                              I did try the 10 as a possible replacement for the 8's in my Philharmonic speakers, which have an open back midrange cabinet like the Statements. I have to cross the 8's around 650 Hz, and I thought that I could get down to 250 Hz with the 10's and increase the midrange frequency range with rear radiation, hopefully providing an even deeper soundstage. (I cross around 3 kHz on the top end, so there's nothing much to choose between the two in that range). The 10's did very well (and measured better than the new "s" version of the Neo8's, which I can't recommend), but in an A-B comparison with a volume-compensated switching preamp, I just couldn't hear any difference between the 10 and 8 versions despite the lower crossover point. And the taller 10's required an ungainly looking upper cabinet that would have doomed the speakers to the darkest of Man Caves. Still, the 10 is a superb driver. It just didn't help me out in my specific application.

Comment

Working...
                              X