Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't want yet another speaker cable war ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want yet another speaker cable war ...

... so let's have one over HDMI cables instead!

Hopefully somebody on this forum has one already and can add to the list of great, informative reviews that have already been done.

Re: I don't want yet another speaker cable war ...

Lots of places, like CNET, have done tests and found that they don't matter, but honestly this is a logic issue, rather than an empirical one. HDMI carries a digital signal (0s, and 1s), and the data is either transmitted perfectly or not at all. So there are only two types of HDMI cables: Broken ones, and those that work perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by NickJ View Post
      HDMI carries a digital signal (0s, and 1s), and the data is either transmitted perfectly or not at all. So there are only two types of HDMI cables: Broken ones, and those that work perfectly.
      I think you mean there are only 10 types. :D
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
        I think you mean there are only 10 types. :D
        Haha. I stand corrected.

Comment

Just remember, a comfy electron is a happy electron.:rolleyes:
          Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
          Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
          Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
          Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
          Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
          NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

I havent read too much into HDMI cables yet, but as a sales rep at HHgregg I was told to push them (high markup). In my head, a cable is a cable. It sends signal from one place to the next. And digital should be much easier than analog since there aint any noise issues to worry about. But, I was told to pair up a cable to its respectable TV. IE: If I sold a 1080p 120hz tv, then they would need to buy a 1080p 120hz capable cable. This makes no since to me. Seems like a marketing gimmick to me. Can anyone elaborate?

Comment

Where I've witnessed issues ( w digital signal cabling ), is not in the typical home setting ( w relatively short runs ), but in long cable runs.
              Quality of construction ( such as shielding ) and standard accepted wiring practice become more important.
              "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
              “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
              "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
                Seems like a marketing gimmick to me. Can anyone elaborate?
                It is a marketing gimmick. As said before, digital is 1 or 0, or a square wave. No noise issues to worry like with sine wave since the signal is either received as a 1 or 0.

A $3 Monoprice HDMI cable works just as fine as the $,$$$ HDMI cables out there with the numerous patents and rare "super" conductive metals.

Comment

As much as I couldn't agree more that the cheapest digital cables are perfect for the home environment for short runs, don't forget the theory that does apply! :D

1) bit errors are always possible. though it'd take a TON of interference and/or signal loss

2) square waves contain a ton of harmonics (technically an infinite number...) and thus very high frequency content. Thus, square waves get distorted by stuff like self capacitance and series inductance of the TL. Given, its gonna take a super long cable to get the cable to start acting like a TL for enough distortion to cause a bit error.

Don't get me wrong though, people that spend $$ on expensive hdmi and other digital cables for the home environment are ignorant fools.

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
                  I havent read too much into HDMI cables yet, but as a sales rep at HHgregg I was told to push them (high markup). In my head, a cable is a cable. It sends signal from one place to the next. And digital should be much easier than analog since there aint any noise issues to worry about. But, I was told to pair up a cable to its respectable TV. IE: If I sold a 1080p 120hz tv, then they would need to buy a 1080p 120hz capable cable. This makes no since to me. Seems like a marketing gimmick to me. Can anyone elaborate?
                  that's fine, then why not encourage customers to save the couple hundred bucks on the cables and put that couple hundred into more expensive gear from your shop? there's a big gain to be had there.

Comment

Yeah, gimmick. You just need to have an hdmi cable with sufficient bandwidth for the task--ie, not all the hdmi's out there can handle 3D.

Sydney is also correct, though--on long runs some special cable considerations may be needed. But it's important to note that the signal quality won't 'degrade'--since it's digital, it will either arrive at its destination fully intact, or it won't.

Comment

In my opinion digital cables are beyond the cable wars... any arguments that there is a difference I simply ignore.

At least with analog cables there's a (highly questionable) case to be made.

But with digital? As someone said before, they're either broken or they work perfectly (yes, assuming sufficient bandwidth of course).

Some bold individual will jump in claiming "jitter" and whatnot, but I just don't buy it.
                      Form does not follow function
                      Form is simultaneous to function

Comment

More specifically to this HDMI context ( in a production environment ) was susceptibility to what are called "sparkles'" and a smearing of color.
                        Easily noticeable on test patterns ( akin to a monitor that doesn't have it's guns converged ).
                        Any extraneous signal that finds egress into a circuit path by definition can be called "noise".
                        Digital equipment is no exception. One of the earliest devices to draw FCC attention as an potential emitter was the first Sinclair Class D amp.
                        If a device has an a oscillator - there is a good chance it radiates.
                        "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                        “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

There were initially, IIRC, HDMI cables that were rated to only 1080i and not 1080p. But I think HDMI 1.3 solved that issue. Now there's HDMI 1.4 that supports Ethernet and Audio Return Channels.

Oh yeah and Mapleshade Records now sells their own magic HDMI cable, I just got the catalog in the mail the other day.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                          return to the source
                          leviathan system thread
                          deadhorse thread
                          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Here is a series of articles on cables from Blue Jeans Cable.

When I picked up a plasma TV I got a couple of their Series-SE cables in 15' lengths basically because of their better flexibility and rated performance at that length. They have since offered longer lengths for the Series-SE cables with a lesser rating.

I think they are a top notch company offering top notch products. I don't really 'get' all the technical mumbo jumbo but I have had them respond to an email for some questions way back so I imagine if somebody had any questions for them about their articles they would be happy to discuss them with you.

I don't work for them ... but I would.

Comment

Without going back and reading the website info, Blue jeans cable has some reasonable info on HDMI cables. Basically, he said to use the cheapest cable that will work. Only in some very long cable runs might it be necessary to use a more expensive cable.

Comment

Working...
                              X