Iphone Dock + Amp...wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iphone Dock + Amp...wiring?

My wife wants an iphone dock for Christmas, so naturally I want to build here one rather than dropping about $300 for one that sounds good. Here's the problem...I need to charge the iphone and power two Aura NS3's. I haven't been able to find a single item that combines those two features, but what I was thinking is that I could combine an Apple Universal Dock with a DTA-2 Amplifier Module. The thing I don't know is how to wire both the dock and the amp to be powered by the same electrical cord since both items have wall-warts.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Is there a single solution that solves both the dock charging and amplification issues? There's got to be a way given the quantity of iphone dock systems out there!

Thanks for the help!

-j

Re: Iphone Dock + Amp...wiring?

I'm no expert so someone should eirher back me up or shoot me down..... That being said, you could get a power socket from radioshack and then also get 2 male connectors that fit into your devices. So it would go wall supply to box, then split signal inside the box.

Comment

Originally posted by dtkeith View Post
      I'm no expert so someone should eirher back me up or shoot me down..... That being said, you could get a power socket from radioshack and then also get 2 male connectors that fit into your devices. So it would go wall supply to box, then split signal inside the box.
      This is kind of what I was thinking I would do if I had to. I was hoping to somehow run both the amp and the dock off of the same power supply, but that may be asking too much. I don't really know a whole lot about voltage and power supply for amps and the like so this might be the best way to accomplish what I want without getting too crazy.

-j

Comment

For the amp, you need 12 VDC/ 2 A, for the dock, 5 VDC/500 mA. I'd look for a 12 to 15 VDC supply (wall-wart) capable of 3 Amps.

Once that power supply is connected to the project chassis, take it direct to to the amp module with a parallel connection to a voltage regulator with a 5 VDC output.

There are several ways to make the regulator, this one is probably the easiest:

http://sound.westhost.com/project102.htm

Just use the + portion of the circuit (upper portion, from GND to + VE).

I hope someone confirms this, I don't have any experience with single-sided power supplies.
        Jay T
        http://sites.google.com/site/lhwidgetssite/home

Comment

Originally posted by lhwidget View Post
          For the amp, you need 12 VDC/ 2 A, for the dock, 5 VDC/500 mA. I'd look for a 12 to 15 VDC supply (wall-wart) capable of 3 Amps.

Once that power supply is connected to the project chassis, take it direct to to the amp module with a parallel connection to a voltage regulator with a 5 VDC output.

There are several ways to make the regulator, this one is probably the easiest:

http://sound.westhost.com/project102.htm

Just use the + portion of the circuit (upper portion, from GND to + VE).

I hope someone confirms this, I don't have any experience with single-sided power supplies.
          Why just the + portion?

For the diode (if using a 12 V supply):

12V - 5V (required by dock) = 7V zener diode?

Thanks,
          J

Comment

This simple converter project uses 7805 IC to convert 12VDC from battery to 5V DC. This converter also can be made even only one component, the 7805 regulator. Converter can produce a maximum current of 1.5A (with heatsink) at 5V from an input of 8V to 25V. This is suitable for powering devices that uses 5V DC such as chargers, USB devices, microcontrollers and others. This converter is perhaps one of the simplest, but lots of power is generated as heat (don't forget the heatsink!!). If you need a converter with much higher efficiency, try the 5V converter using LM2671 IC.
            You can modify the circuit also into high current 5V regulated PSU and increase its current output capacity from 1.5A to 5A or more.

Would this work?

-j

Comment

Look for an apple lod connector, Qables has some. Then use this to solder the proper connections, this way you save your self over 30$ because you don't need the overpriced dock.

Comment

Yep, that's better.

The one from ESP is normally used for audio, and the - VE side powers the preamp IC's swing below 0 V.

You might snoop around a bit. If the chips in the amp module can handle 15VDC, you may get cleaner/more power out of the Amplifier.
                Jay T
                http://sites.google.com/site/lhwidgetssite/home

Comment

Something like this looks easier to me. Feed the USB adapter contacts with the same 12v for the amp. If you have room wire a 12v lighter socket into your dock then you can leave the usb adapter intact.
                  Kevin
                  http://www.instructables.com/id/In-d...port/?ALLSTEPS

Comment

This is a great idea! I have a slew of NS3's that I have been making some of Wolf's PCs with. Would make a killer mini ipod dock. Interested in a solution as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinb View Post
                      Something like this looks easier to me. Feed the USB adapter contacts with the same 12v for the amp. If you have room wire a 12v lighter socket into your dock then you can leave the usb adapter intact.
                      Kevin
                      http://www.instructables.com/id/In-d...port/?ALLSTEPS
                      I hadn't thought of using a car version of the USB power adapter. I was thinking it might be easier to use one of the wall warts disassembled but then I think the voltage drop would be incorrect. I believe that most car power outlets are 12V so that would be ideal. I'll check it out.

I'm going to try and document the amplifier/usb portion of the build to help out others. Only thing that sucks so far is that the DTA-2 module is OOS until after Christmas, so I bought the full DTA-1 amp and will disassemble it to place in the dock enclosure.

-j

Comment

James e5,

Off topic to your wiring question but I am running two nd91's in a dock I made for my android phone and I just switched out a dta 1 for the lepai amp and it sounds much better and the bass and treble controls make it more flexible to use. The nd91 is similar to the auras.

JustinL42

Comment

hmmm...I do have an extra Lepai on the shelf. I already have the DTA on the way. The only problem I see with the Lepai is that it is next to impossible to separate from its chassis, which is a necessity as I am making a completely new enclosure to house the amp that goes with the rest of the dock. Did you mess with the bass/treble on the Lepai at all or are you running them in direct mode?

-j

Comment

Have not modded the lepai at all. I use the bass and treble. I don't bypass. Saw a video on youtube of someone that just built the lepai into the enclosure. Will see if I can find a link later. I haven't finalized how I'm integrating mine yet.

Edit: Here is what I found on youtube. He built the Lepai right in to the enclosure. It doesn't look too bad.
                            Last edited by JustinL42; 12-08-2011, 10:08 PM. Reason: Added video link.

Comment

Working...
                            X