PC Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Speakers

Does anyone have a link to Wolf's PC speakers? Didn't see it on his blog.

Also, does any have a link to other small speakers worth considering?

Thanks.
    An apostrophe with an "s" does not mean plural.

Speaker's IS NOT PLURAL.

Re: PC Speakers

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...C/PClayout.jpg
    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Thanks.

Speaker's IS NOT PLURAL.

Comment

What is your application? Wolf's PC Speakers are perfect for use with a sub and actually do quite well without one. If you were trying to avoid using a sub but wanted more bass, I would take the same driver and run it ported without the cap in 3.5 liters tuned to 60 Hz. You get about an extra 10Hz of bass extension at the expense of an enclosure 3 times larger).

Comment

Too big, thanks. I have his dragon foals right now, but they consume my desk.

I have a sub.

Speaker's IS NOT PLURAL.

Comment

Then certainly go with the PC Speaker. The sealed cap loaded alignment provides cleaner mids and bass and a little bit of a bass filter. Perfect when using a sub. Setting your sub's low pass filter to around 70-80 Hz should be about right.

Comment

Icor, I "stole" Lostboy's plans and built some PC speakers with a foot-print of 4.5" x6.75" deep and 13.5" tall with the Aura NS3-193-8A1's in them ported. Bass into the 50's, and sound that I can't believe comes from a 3" full-range speaker in a box this size (and you can go smaller). Go tall to reduce reflections from your desktop(put the driver at the top and a front port near the top), and you can have a footprint of 4.5" x 5" easily in 3.3L. $25 for drivers, no crossovers, $3 for a pair of cheap speaker terminals, $11 worth of 1/2" MDF (I used 3/4" for the front baffle), and you have some surprising sounding speakers. I'll send you the 1" PVC pipe free for the port tubes....I only have 6 1/2 feet of it left....(tiny plumbing job and my port tubes). My write-up and photos have been delayed by a health issue, but they are coming!

Comment

The Pecorino also works quite well nearfield, even without a sub (though of course you miss the bottom octaves that way.)

C
                diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                  Icor, I "stole" Lostboy's plans and built some PC speakers with a foot-print of 4.5" x6.75" deep and 13.5" tall with the Aura NS3-193-8A1's in them ported. Bass into the 50's, and sound that I can't believe comes from a 3" full-range speaker in a box this size (and you can go smaller). Go tall to reduce reflections from your desktop(put the driver at the top and a front port near the top), and you can have a footprint of 4.5" x 5" easily in 3.3L. $25 for drivers, no crossovers, $3 for a pair of cheap speaker terminals, $11 worth of 1/2" MDF (I used 3/4" for the front baffle), and you have some surprising sounding speakers. I'll send you the 1" PVC pipe free for the port tubes....I only have 6 1/2 feet of it left....(tiny plumbing job and my port tubes). My write-up and photos have been delayed by a health issue, but they are coming!
                  It's not "steeling" when I gladly offer them up here for free. Really, its hardly a true "design", but rather some careful Unibox modeling with TS parameters provided by John K. (Zaph). They do make some amazingly potent little speakers. I'm glad you like them!

Comment

Originally posted by lostboy77 View Post
                    provided by John K. (Zaph).
                    Be careful there. John 'Zaph' Krutke and 'John K.' (Kreskovsky) are two different posters here. They have been confused before.

Just 2c,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by cjd View Post
                      The Pecorino also works quite well nearfield, even without a sub (though of course you miss the bottom octaves that way.)

C
                      It looks like -3db is at around 125hz, is that about right? Do you have any trouble crossing to the sub without making it directional?

Comment

Nick, my 2 c's, if I were going as large as a 4" woofer and a 2-way, I'd look long and hard at the ND-105 and a Vifa tweeter. The money you'd save in cross-over components alone would be very substantial. Both the 4 and 8 ohm versions are on sale for $26.90, I'd cross them 2nd order @3Khz and spend $1.60 on a Zobel network for the ND-105 to smooth the impedence for the XO. Either will hit about 40Hz in a .35 cu. ft. ported enclosure according to P-E. 40 Hz is LOW for many 6 1/2" and 8" woofers. Depending on how fancy you want to get, off the top of my head, I think you could build a pair of these for about $80-85, probably less with some hunting. You could trade some low-end for a smaller enclosure too, I'd have to work up simulations on enclosure sizes to tell you the trade-offs. The Vifa BC25C55-04 is on special for $10.00 each and looks like a decent match.

Comment

Originally posted by NickJ View Post
                          It looks like -3db is at around 125hz, is that about right? Do you have any trouble crossing to the sub without making it directional?
                          The sub I use fires up and is positioned near the speakers. Even if it's not perfect, it works pretty well. An exercise in compromises, really.

Yeah, it's more directional than if I crossed at 40Hz Can't have everything every time though.
                          diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                            Nick, my 2 c's, if I were going as large as a 4" woofer and a 2-way, I'd look long and hard at the ND-105 and a Vifa tweeter. The money you'd save in cross-over components alone would be very substantial. Both the 4 and 8 ohm versions are on sale for $26.90, I'd cross them 2nd order @3Khz and spend $1.60 on a Zobel network for the ND-105 to smooth the impedence for the XO. Either will hit about 40Hz in a .35 cu. ft. ported enclosure according to P-E. 40 Hz is LOW for many 6 1/2" and 8" woofers. Depending on how fancy you want to get, off the top of my head, I think you could build a pair of these for about $80-85, probably less with some hunting. You could trade some low-end for a smaller enclosure too, I'd have to work up simulations on enclosure sizes to tell you the trade-offs. The Vifa BC25C55-04 is on special for $10.00 each and looks like a decent match.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=228232

Read "Another ugly driver?", about 1/2 way down.

chris

Comment

Chris I steal some of my best designs from what I've read from you! Actually, I remember how much trouble Johnny Richards had taming the 4" alum. cone Dayton , and looked at the ND105's spec sheet and said to myself "Self, that doesn't look too awful below 5KHz." (I talk to myself alot. I tell people I'm talking to the Guinea Pig...) I ended up with the NS3 Auras because I couldn't find a nice easy to use cheap 4" for my 'puter speakers!

Comment

Working...
                              X