Project L.O.K.I. Build thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project L.O.K.I. Build thread.

Well, here we go again. A 2-way with 8" woofer and waveguide loaded tweeter build thread . . . :rolleyes:

Project L.O.K.I. has begun. Another Detroit/St. Louis joint project for high end performance on a budget.

This will use the venerable RS225 and RS28A/F in a floor standing tapered transmission line. The baffle pictured below is 36" x 10" x 1". You can see where Ed will be milling out the waveguide for the RS28. Overall height after a plinth and feet are added should be right around 38", with the tweeter about 33" off the floor. The guide should get the acoustic centers of the woofer and tweeter lined up very close with the woofer flush mounted.

Target XO point is right around 1000Hz with LR4 slopes.

Stay tuned for further updates as the dark winter months cover over us all.

Last edited by Pete Schumacher; 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM. Reason: Added RS28A to the potential tweeter choice
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Re: Project L.O.K.I. Build thread.

That's such a potent combo, especially for the price. Every time I go looking for drivers, I spend hours and hours and find myself again looking at the Dayton RS stuff. How do they DO that?

Looking forward to watching the progress on this. How bad would shipping that baffle be for anyone else wanting to build?
    diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by cjd View Post
      That's such a potent combo, especially for the price. Every time I go looking for drivers, I spend hours and hours and find myself again looking at the Dayton RS stuff. How do they DO that?

Looking forward to watching the progress on this. How bad would shipping that baffle be for anyone else wanting to build?
      I did a quick check with FedEx ground and it worked out to maybe $30 from Detroit to StL. That's assuming 50 pounds.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

cool.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Watching with interest....

Comment

Looks very nice, Pete.

Kind of like chain-smoking, isn't it?

John

Comment

'Loki' name is already taken. It's a Seas kit.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  'Loki' name is already taken. It's a Seas kit.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  This is L.O.K.I. :D

Besides, Ed's a Viking, and he gets to pick the name he wants.

Comment

I'll arm wrestle you for it, Wolf.:D
                    The Past is history. The Future is a mystery. Today is a gift; that's why its called the Present. (Grand Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda)

Comment

Originally posted by D, Rose View Post
                      I'll arm wrestle you for it, Wolf.:D
                      I didn't pick the other one, just sayin' it's already been used. Then again- I think Aurora likely has been too.

Some people like original names, and don't want to use something 'ABC'.
                      Just thought I'd do you a favor ahead of time.

Later,
                      Wolf

PS- this could be an avenue of names...
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardanger_fiddle
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Best L.O.K.I. Acronym guess:

Look, Ohm Killin' It (harhar)

You could also do homage to "American Gods" by Neil Gamin and call it Low Key, and then you get a nice little play on words as well.

Comment

Pete, I assume you've completed the TL design/modeling. What are the dimensions of the box, what's the line's taper and length, and what did you end up with for the expected F3?
                          Thanks,
                          Paul

Comment

Does anyone have a CAD file or proper curves of the waveguide? I could ask the company that prototyped the SEOS waveguide and see if they could make up some for this particular tweeter.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                              Pete, I assume you've completed the TL design/modeling. What are the dimensions of the box, what's the line's taper and length, and what did you end up with for the expected F3?
                              Thanks,
                              Paul
                              You know what they say about assuming don't you? :D

No, haven't done any modeling yet. I want to actually get the drivers in hand and measure. I'm still not even sure which version of the RS225 Ed has, the 4 or 8 Ohm.

But overall, I think the enclosure will be around 2 cubic feet based on the published specs. That would put the depth of the enclosure at around 13" with a single fold. I'm guessing that with that geometry, a slot port maybe 8" x .875" at the top/back should get me a ~14:1 taper. and again, guessing this will be about right for an F3 of around 30Hz.

I'll have to run it through the worksheets to confirm . . . unless you want to. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X