Project L.O.K.I. Build thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project L.O.K.I. Build thread.

What about a sharp chamfer to the outside of the throat end of the waveguide (inside a deep, wide trough to fit the faceplate)? You could take the throat all the way to the surround that way.

And, if you're doing the WG out of MDF, it would be fairly simple to add a mounting bracket on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by 454Casull View Post
      What about a sharp chamfer to the outside of the throat end of the waveguide (inside a deep, wide trough to fit the faceplate)? You could take the throat all the way to the surround that way.

And, if you're doing the WG out of MDF, it would be fairly simple to add a mounting bracket on the back.
      Here's the SB29 in the guide, without the faceplate, which lets the guide opening start right up against the SB29 surround. Not too bad at all. Still has the funky top octave I see the SB29 do with other guides, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

I think if I were to go ahead and use the SB29, I'd fashion a thin, aluminum fact plate that would facilitate mounting to the back of the guide.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Here's the SB29 in the guide, without the faceplate, which lets the guide opening start right up against the SB29 surround. Not too bad at all. Still has the funky top octave I see the SB29 do with other guides, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

I think if I were to go ahead and use the SB29, I'd fashion a thin, aluminum fact plate that would facilitate mounting to the back of the guide.

I tried that approach and the only difficult part was sourcing the tapered head screws now needed to attach the plate to the body to allow for a flush mount to the guide. What I would up doing was making an MDF 'cup' for the naked tweeter to fit in with a layer of foam in the cup and used rubber bands around the housing then pushed the tweeter body into the cup until the chassis face was flush with the cup. Th

Comment

I had been watching this thread very closely , as the project is something I could see building myself. How is everything coming along? Any new progress?

Comment

Originally posted by mike price View Post
            I had been watching this thread very closely , as the project is something I could see building myself. How is everything coming along? Any new progress?
            Not yet. Hopefully soon. I've got to knock out a couple things before I can really sink into this one.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Not yet. Hopefully soon. I've got to knock out a couple things before I can really sink into this one.
              Like 7 12" woofers and 7 12" horns, mounted in the walls, and 4 RS315's. :rolleyes: :D
              - John

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. M. L. King
              www.BuildTheDream.org

Comment

Originally posted by HareBrained View Post
                Like 7 12" woofers and 7 12" horns, mounted in the walls, and 4 RS315's. :rolleyes: :D

Pretty sure the RSS315's are already in place, but yeah, that IS a big project...:eek:

Mark
                You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Still planning on following through with this one at some point? Sorry to keep bringing this old thread back up but I was very interested in the project...

Comment

Originally posted by mike price View Post
                    Still planning on following through with this one at some point? Sorry to keep bringing this old thread back up but I was very interested in the project...
                    You know, best laid plans and all. Funny how other stuff pops up and makes you take a turn. I was expecting to be out of my job by the end of March and finish off a pair of cabinets to begin testing of the full system, and not just the guide, but I've been given the bad news that they will be keeping me on until mid May. ;) That and it looks like the HT system will be taking some time as well.

These will get some time in the hopefully near future. I'd like to bring a set to Dayton in the summer. It would be fun to offer a ballzy Dayton reference system to the judges for evaluation at PE's signature event. The winter slowed things down, but it's starting to get nice now, so activity should be picking up.

Comment

I understand completely , just checking in periodically to make sure they haven't been scratched from the list. It's a design that I think will likely become very popular , at least I certainly intend to build a pair. The Dayton 8's have always appealed to me because of the simplicity and bass capability , the L.O.K.I. should be similar yet much more detailed and lower distortion across the board , certainly has my interest piqued!

Comment

This will use the venerable RS225 and RS28A/F in a floor standing tapered transmission line. The baffle pictured below is 36" x 10" x 1".

Target XO point is right around 1000Hz with LR4 slopes.

Stay tuned for further updates as the dark winter months cover over us all.
                        After EQ'ing this to match the RS225, distortion levels should be hugging the -55dB line, which is my current noise floor, to below 1000Hz. It should be able to keep up with even a pair of RS225 with a 2nd order HP between 800 and 1000Hz. :D

This looks very workable. Sorry, no woofer data yet. Ed didn't send me his RS225-4, and we're thinking about a TMM 2.5-way version.
                        I'm going to approach this as a 2.5-way, since the 2nd woofer will be mounted under the first one. That being the case, it's simpler to go with the 8 Ohm woofers
                        1) Just trying to figure out where your at on this... 2.5 way (8 ohm dual woofer) crossed over at 1000Hz LR4 or 800Hz? Transmission line in what size cab?

2) I have a quad of RS225S-8's, do you think they will be a drop in for the design you are working on?

I just recently found this thread (I don't follow the build section much). I was planning a project very similar to this but with passive radiator woofers in seperate enclosures. I'm very interested to see what you come up with
                        Thanks,
                        Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by aarond View Post
                          1) Just trying to figure out where your at on this... 2.5 way (8 ohm dual woofer) crossed over at 1000Hz LR4 or 800Hz? Transmission line in what size cab?

2) I have a quad of RS225S-8's, do you think they will be a drop in for the design you are working on?

I just recently found this thread (I don't follow the build section much). I was planning a project very similar to this but with passive radiator woofers in seperate enclosures. I'm very interested to see what you come up with
                          Ed's finishing up some cabinets for another build. As soon as he's done with those, he'll be starting on the cabs for this. But because of the cabinet style, it will probably become a MLTL or vented box, and not a tapered TL. The curved sides make getting a uniform taper a bit more complicated to say the least, since the internal baffle would no longer be a simple straight sided angled board.

I would think that your existing woofers would work pretty well in this design, with maybe a bit of tweaking just in the XO region. You may also have to play with box stuffing and port length to optimize it for those particular woofers.

I'm opting to push the XO as low as possible with this, simply because of the RS225 breakup modes, and the preliminary plots sure look like 800Hz is very much in play. It will all depend on what it sounds like cranked up, and if the RS28 stays composed. I have every reason to believe there will be no problems. But I'll take some higher power sweeps to see when distortion and compression start kicking in.

Comment

Pete, these are looking ded sekci!

Comment

Here's a quick sketch of what I believe Ed has in mind . . . at least something very similar. More than likely, ported out the front (or maybe bottom back . . .).

Last edited by Pete Schumacher; 04-17-2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

You could almost get away with stacking 2 of these.
                                - John

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. M. L. King
                                www.BuildTheDream.org

Comment

Working...
                                X