Project L.O.K.I. Build thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project L.O.K.I. Build thread.

If you want to get the guide CNC machined, here's a drawing that defines it very closely and could easily be turned into a 3D file for the cut. I have the RS28F and RS28A on hand to get plots, and the sim above is using actual measured response. Still, final voicing is a personal preference, so modification of values is to be expected.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

On the back burner at the moment. Everything came to a grinding halt when Ed decided to move his family 30 miles to a new home.

Hopefully we'll see a bit of movement after October.

I do have a couple of smaller baffles that will only work with a single RS225. It could be adapted to a PE cabinet and make a TM I suppose.

I might just have Ed send me his idle pair of RS225-4 and do the straight up 2-way.

Thanks for bugging me about this.
      No problem. Please continue on the idea of a TMM. One of my favorite commercial speakers of all time is the Klipsch RF-3. I actually own a pair. They are efficient while being balanced. As soon as you finish that design I'd like to build them as mains for HT duty. So please don't let go of the TMM. If you do a TM that would make for a wicked surround or even a stand mount main.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by aarond View Post
        TNA,

I'd definitely take you up on it if I had the measurement capability. I would also like to get this info out to those that can use it. I was going to foot the freight to Mark K so he could measure and design. I wish I could be more help on this. I'm not sure how tight Pete's time is but I guess could order some baffles from the new CNC source and have them sent to Pete so he could get the ball rolling. Another option might be to have you fab the guides and I could do the rest of the work necessary to build the baffle but that would require 3 people to be involved in shipping/fabricating something instead of just two if I were to get them CNC'd.

I'm open to whatever gets the job done. Just tossing out ideas.
        OK. Decide what wood you would like, and as I wrote, if I have it I'll turn guides in it. Otherwise, I'll use what I have. I know the guide configuration Pete used was discussed in an earlier thread, and I know I developed the geometry to check the dimensions and I think found the radius was closer to 3.95", I need to check this. As I recall, 3.953" worked in order to have the radius tangent to the baffle face on a 8.5" diameter, using a 1.625" throat diameter and 2" thickness. I'll turn whatever radius you choose, but we need to decide.

The guides I've turned have a rabbet turned on the back to fit into a similar rabbet in the baffle, will this also work for you. Perhaps I should send you an image of the guide and geometry.Click image for larger version

Name:	Schumacher WG dimensions.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1143451 Click image for larger version

Name:	Schumacher Waveguide photo 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	1143452

Comment

There's a possibility I'm going to do another plastic product this year. If you guys think it will pay for itself, I believe they could carve your waveguide into the mold next to the project I'm trying to get done. I bet the end cost would be around $10 - $15 if they could simply add in yours next to what I'm hoping to get done. Obviously I'm not 100% sure, but could certainly find out.

If someone could also design an adapter for a couple different tweeters, maybe that could be done too. Then one waveguide could be used for multiple tweeter models.

Comment

That sounds like a good deal, I'm in!
            Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Erich H View Post
              There's a possibility I'm going to do another plastic product this year. If you guys think it will pay for itself, I believe they could carve your waveguide into the mold next to the project I'm trying to get done. I bet the end cost would be around $10 - $15 if they could simply add in yours next to what I'm hoping to get done. Obviously I'm not 100% sure, but could certainly find out.

If someone could also design an adapter for a couple different tweeters, maybe that could be done too. Then one waveguide could be used for multiple tweeter models.
              That would be great to see. This particular profile produces some of the most consistent off axis plots I've seen to date. The EQ circuit is a bit more complex in that a single cap won't work like it does in conical profiles guides.

We built an adapter for it that allowed us to use the smaller diameter T-lab tweeter. It was simply a conical section, 1/2" thick, with the same 60 degree exit angle that the guide starts with at the opening. That brought the opening down to 1" diameter, a perfect match to the 26mm T-lab. The only penalty was a "bump" in the response at just above cutoff, easily accommodated in the XO.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Erich H View Post

im in too.. thanks for the interest.
                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

There's a possibility I'm going to do another plastic product this year. If you guys think it will pay for itself, I believe they could carve your waveguide into the mold next to the project I'm trying to get done. I bet the end cost would be around $10 - $15 if they could simply add in yours next to what I'm hoping to get done. Obviously I'm not 100% sure, but could certainly find out.<br />
                  <br />
                  That would do well!
                  "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

If anyone gets a really nice end product that they'd consider 100% finished, then I have no problems getting things priced out.

Comment

Working...
                    X