Have CNC router, looking to do a project with someone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have CNC router, looking to do a project with someone

I've built a few loudspeakers in the past, always from kits or plans. I also own a cabinet shop, and last January we bought a CNC router. In the 11 months we've had it, it's always been in the back of my mind that it is the perfect tool for cutting out cabinets.

I don't have a lot of time to research some fun project, but I'd be very interested in teaming up with someone to do a project together.

My first thought is something low budget as far as driver cost goes, but that is open to debate. I don't really need any new speakers around here (except for some computer speakers), so I'm open to anything of interest.

I'm thinking some sort of equitable trade for materials. I can supply materials for and cut (and even assemble if needed) cabinet parts, and you supply some or all of the electronics. What's fair would be determined by the relative costs of everything. I'm not in this to make money, I have a cabinet business that does that.

Finally, and this seems like a long shot, I'd be more than happy to make multiple copies of the same project. Once the code is written for the router, cutting the parts takes literally minutes.

Here's a link to a vid of the machine running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEoIK...g&feature=plcp

And here's a link to our website so you can see we're not hacks.

www.timkulincabinetry.com

Re: Have CNC router, looking to do a project with someone

WoWeee! That's a nice machine!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

I'm working on a little ipod dock for my wife that has a unique shape. I would have loved to have it cut by CNC, but the guy I know that has one was running desks for a school and didn't have time for me. I can send you some pictures after I get it finished in the next week or so if you are interested. Oh and it uses a pair of the Dayton ND90-8's with passive assist.

What are you looking for? Something unique since you have access to the CNC?

-j

Comment

Jeeze, and iPod dock would be perfect. We're overrun with the things around here.

I'm not necessarily looking for something unique or exotic. We've been running this thing for almost a year and I haven't made one single fun thing on it (if you don't count making money!:D). It just seems a waste to have the capability and not be able to use it.

Comment

I need a few subwoofer cabinets made for the Dayton RSS315HF-4. It'll be a 2.7 cu ft slot port design. Should be relatively simple to mock up.

Comment

A sub is interesting. I have a pair of North Creek Borealis speakers I built some years ago that are outstanding, but a bit lacking in bass response.

http://www.northcreekmusic.com/NorthCreekKits.html

In fact, if you scroll down that page, you'll see my speakers on his website.

I'd be open to a sub to complement them.

Comment

A general location may make it easier to decide also.
              Tim

Comment

Of course. I need to fill out my profile.

Colorado Springs, CO

Comment

Hey timk,

Good to see someone else in Colorado Springs... I am starting a new project here pretty soon... Hmmm, the wheels are turning now

Jason
                  Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

Comment

Jason,

Cool. Let me know what you come up with.

Tim

Comment

Put that dust collector just outside of the CNC station, in its own little shed. That'll keep down the noise and dust. (some will always leak from around filter seals or from just dumping the can when it gets full) Nice machine, by the way!:D
                      The Past is history. The Future is a mystery. Today is a gift; that's why its called the Present. (Grand Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda)

Comment

I love the sound of the CNC machine coming online and starting up. Reminds me of some hi-tech jet engine or something.
                        My Home Theater Build thread
                        My DIY Speaker builds

My Gear:
                        Emotiva XMC-1
                        Emotiva XPR-2
                        Emotiva XPA-5
                        Clearwave Dynamics 4T and 4CC (mains)
                        Paradigm Millennia LP (surrounds)
                        Oppo 103D
                        Mede8er 600X3D w/ 4TB
                        Marantz CD-5004
                        AppleTV
                        JVC RS-4910 Projector
                        100" Screen Innovations Pure Gray Screen w/ LED kit
                        APC Uninterrupted Power Supply (x2)
                        iRule controlling it all....

Comment

I have an idea in mind for those Aura 6" buyouts, an MTM project using a Vifa tweeter. If there is enough stock left of the Aura to justify a kit I would be happy to provide a design and cover the drivers/crossover/design work.
                          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Otherwise, you can email me and I have some plans for an affordable MTM using a set of woofers not commonly heard from as well.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Tim--lots of cool stuff on your website. You obviously do good work.

But a word of advice--you may wish to change the colors of your website a bit. The black/dark brown backgrounds and text of your website come out as dull and dim, so your eyes kinda have to strain to see them. Fortunately, it's a very easy change for your web guy to make.

But it's cool that you have a website. I kinda think that it's something every small business should have, but relatively few seem to. It really puts you apart from the competition!

Comment

Working...
                              X