Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partnering with PE to Offer Many Knock Down Kits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partnering with PE to Offer Many Knock Down Kits.

Guys I have some good news on future flat pack - knock down kits.

As many of you know, I've been helping get the flat packs cut for a few different designs and boxing them up in my spare time. Lately I've been working to get different box sizes cut without driver cut-outs like you guys were hoping for ("generic" flat packs). Of course, subwoofer enclosures too.

Obviously it takes a couple days for me to get the packages boxed and shipped, but I've done pretty good so far. My shipping rates are okay, but probably no where near as good as Parts Express.

Because of that, I had an idea to contact PE to see if they wanted to handle some of the flat packs if I could get the boxes made up and delivered. I only live about 30 minutes away, so it seemed like a good idea. And I don't mind delivering them stacked on pallets because I go there every couple weeks anyway. :D

I talked to Parts Express today. They like the idea and could sell them on their site.

So here's the chance to figure out what size "generic" boxes would make the most sense.

8.5" x 14" x 12" (.5 cu ft) using 3/4" mdf, because there's a design coming for that size anyway.

8.5" x 20" x 12" (.75 cu ft) using 3/4" was asked for in the other thread.

1.25 cu ft, 2 cu ft, 3 cu ft subwoofer with bracing will be priced along with other sizes.

What else would be good? I'm open for any size/shape ideas. A small satellite style flat pack? A stubby .75 cu ft box? Maybe some smaller floor standers? Different subwoofer boxes? Any idea is good.

KITS Also!

Curt's Stentorians and his MTM's will likely be made up with his permission. I have to ask Paul C about more Overnight Sensations. But I can continue with those myself if it's needed. Nano Neo's, but again, I will contact the designers to see what they think.

2 designs are coming out using the 6" Aurasound buy-out woofer in a .5 cu ft enclosure.

What other's would you like to see?

Of course, I can still help with different kits that you guys need that PE might not want to carry. No doubt there are some kits that PE can't really help with. But this is a good start.

Re: Partnering with PE to Offer Many Knock Down Kits.

One small step for man, one large step for speaker DIY....

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for all your efforts Erich

Comment

erich rocks.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

You have just made my life in my tiny basement shop far more manageable! I'll be watching intently for the Aura boxes.

Thanks!!
          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

AWsome, Good job!

Comment

Thanks guys, I hope it works out good for the DIY guys.

Any box size suggestions?

Comment

How about a small tower, maybe 8"-10" wide and 28" to 36" tall. No one else makes anything that size besides the $200 jobby at Mad.

Also you might think of some sizes that have the same baffle size as PE's finished cabinets, some(myself on occasion) have problems getting a decent finish on the baffle with paint. That way one could use PE's baffles.

Just a few thoughts anyway.
                Chris
                Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

Since PE already makes cabinets in those volumes, why not offer pre-cut baffles for those kits instead?

A knock down tower would be a great idea. 40" tall, 9-10" wide, 12-14" depth, 1" MDF. Anything shorter would be silly as stands would still be needed.
                  "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                    Since PE already makes cabinets in those volumes, why not offer pre-cut baffles for those kits instead?

A knock down tower would be a great idea. 40" tall, 9-10" wide, 12-14" depth, 1" MDF. Anything shorter would be silly as stands would still be needed.
                    PE offers finished cabinet in those sizes, that's a pretty big difference.

I would be especially interested in ones with precut baffles as well. If you could find common 6-6.5" hole sizes that'll take multiple brands for a .50 cu ft box combined with a 1-1/8" tweeter (The RS, Usher, and other tweets are the same size) that would be sweet. Same with 5-5.25" woofs and a .38 cu ft box.

Comment

Originally posted by czag View Post
                      How about a small tower, maybe 8"-10" wide and 28" to 36" tall. No one else makes anything that size besides the $200 jobby at Mad.
                      Chris
                      +1
                      The Hurricanes
                      The Baronettes
                      Conneccentric
                      UX3

Comment

The 0.5 and 0.75 cubic foot sizes you reference above sound like good generic sizes to me.

I'll vote again for a floorstander along the lines of Paul Carmody's Amiga cabinet.

Oh, and also, Erich you are da man :D

Comment

Well, we'll see how it all turns out. So far I've been getting about 100 pairs of each size cut. Not sure if PE will do that or not, but if the prices are good, then it might make sense.

What do you guys think a good size would be for the floor standers? I don't mind pricing out different sizes.

9.5" x 38" x 14" would be around 2 cu ft after bracing.

Then maybe 7" x 38" x 13" would be about 1.25 cu ft after bracing.

Comment

I would like to add a 1 cu ft MTM enclosure along the lines of Zaph's BAMTM. It would work with many other MTM designs as well.

Great job, Eric H.:D
                            Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post

Putting a 36" speaker on a stand is silly. Would you put Pete's Byzantiums on a stand? Their under 40".

Chris
                              Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

Working...
                              X